• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parakeet cere

Jewells

Moving in
This is my parakeet and her name is Duck. She’s always had a dry crusty cere but lately it’s been concerning me as it looks worst then normal. Her cage mate is a male parakeet that looks completely healthy and fine so I don’t think it’s anything to serious that is able to spread. But I still wanted to get other opinions and make sure it’s not anything that she needs to be taken to the vet for. She has a good diet and plenty of perches that she can file her beak and cere on. Any help will be appreciated and taken into consideration!

BCACDC84-896F-48F3-8515-35557BACC836.jpeg
Sorry the photos came out a bit blurry. C8C62633-7B04-4E02-9757-114D3782AFE8.jpeg
4499B433-7B1F-4CF1-B2C1-B80DE35FD54D.jpeg

Last edited:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
How long has it been like that / when did it start? I'm not very familiar with budgies so I don't know if it might be a hormonal thing, but you could always call your vet to see if they think she should come in. :)

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
The nares look like they're totally obscured, if this was my budgie I would be taking her to the vet ASAP.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think you need to take your bird to the vet as soon as possible too, that doesn’t look good. She’s a cutie, I hope she’ll be okay! Keep us posted.

Jewells

Moving in
Thank you for the help everyone! I think the last photo makes her nares look obscure from the bad angle but irl there just fine :) but I do agree that it may be a hormonal thing. I’ve been reading and asking others about female budgie ceres and flaky brown ceres seem to be normal when their hormonal levels are dropping. I may give it about a week or two and see if anything has changed and if not then she will definitely be going to the vet!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
There are two budgie folks suggesting she be seen by a vet asap. At the very least, please call your vet to see what they think. I wouldn't wait two weeks unless the vet says it's okay to wait. Maybe you can email the pics to their office? Even if it is a seasonal thing hers may be excessive and need some attention.

At least call and ask.:)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
How old is she?

Jewells

Moving in
There are two budgie folks suggesting she be seen by a vet asap. At the very least, please call your vet to see what they think. I wouldn't wait two weeks unless the vet says it's okay to wait. Maybe you can email the pics to their office? Even if it is a seasonal thing hers may be excessive and need some attention.

At least call and ask.:)
After thinking about it I do remember it doing this last year around the same time although it wasn’t as dark of a brown it cleared up after while. But I will get in contact with some of my local vets. Thank you:)