• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parakeet buddy

Strider

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
My four year old parakeet has out lived two companions now. And I kind of want something different. Do you think he would like a canary in a separate cage but side by side.

Strider

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
The first one died of some sort of respiratory infection. And the second one, I'm not really sure. It looked like he broke his neck, in the cage with nothing scary going on. In the morning he was fine and I just wandered in he was gone.

Ppoi

Strolling the yard
Only get a canary if you are wanting a canary. Read up on canaries to make sure you wouldn't mind caring for one.

My parakeets enjoy each other's company by preening each other and talking. A canary won't give your parakeet a good companion, in my opinion. Your parakeet may want to bond with the canary, but won't be able to.

I recommend another parakeet, but even then they don't always get along. When having more than one parakeet in a cage, you will need multiple food dishes. They tend to not want to share one food dish and will try to keep the other away, mine did this. I observe how they get along often to make sure things are going fine. I sometimes have to move perches and toys if bullying seems to be happening. You will want a large cage for two and several good toys to entertain themselves. If they are busy playing than they won't pester the other so much.

Strider

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Thank you, I just bought a handsome light gray parakeet.

Ppoi

Strolling the yard
Good choice. Enjoy your new parakeet. Your older parakeet will be happy having another around. Keep an eye on them when there together to make sure they continue to get along.