1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  2. This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Parakeet Broken Beak

Discussion in 'Bird Emergency Highway 911' started by Dexy2010, 11/7/18.

1. Dexy2010

Dexy2010 Moving in

Whitney Hitt
    Hi everyone.
    So, last Friday our parakeet somehow managed to break his bottom beak. He has been to the vet and it was labeled "traumatic amputation" on the paperwork. He was given an antibiotic shot, a pain medication, and special food. He will not eat the food that was given to us and he seems to slip out of every position we've tried to keep his head still. We don't want to stress him out more than he already is so we've been trying to get him to eat other things. Before yesterday we had very little luck. We were able to get him to eat quinoa. I don't know if this food alone would be able to provide the nutrition he needs though. Has anyone ever dealt with lower beak issues? I've seen plenty of posts about top beaks, but never bottom.

Also, his feathers are looking a little ragged and I'm trying to figure out a way to clean him up that wouldn't cause his body to have to work any harder than it already is to regulate his temperature.

Last edited by a moderator: 11/7/18
  2. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Sorry about your parakeet. How about moistening some pellets for him or making him mushy mashes? You can also mush up some apple.

Fergus Mom likes this.
  3. Dexy2010

Dexy2010 Moving in

Whitney Hitt
    We've tried making the food soft, he still has an aversion to that. (We may def try again now that he's tried something we've given him.) He loves pears, so we are def going to try to give him that mashed up.

What exactly would constitute a "mushy mashes"?

Peachfaced likes this.
  4. Fia Baby

Fia Baby Sprinting down the street

Beth
    My cockatoo has NO lower beak, it was burned when she was a chick, and it de-gloved. She's also missing the tip of top beak. She adjusted to this while still being hand-fed as a chick, so the adjustment was easy for her, but she eats a soft diet without any difficulties. My feeling is that he'll learn to eat if given support. Can you try hulling the seeds for him to start with? He may be able to do easy ones himself eventually, but until you see him doing it. Quinoa will be good. Any small sprouts as well, and things he likes that you can present in small pieces. Broccoli florets, minced greens, minced pears. Try sprouting the 'keet seeds and giving them while they're still very tiny. He may eat some chia seeds too. I'd mix some of his favorite small seeds into any of the fresh minced things. I wouldn't stress him out by trying to force feed him.

janicedyh and Tiel Feathers like this.
  5. Dexy2010

Dexy2010 Moving in

Whitney Hitt
    I feel like he may be starting to adjust, but the first few days we had to force him so that he would have some food in him.
    I'm going to put all of the things mentioned in the notepad on my phone to look into and try.

Tiel Feathers and Fia Baby like this.
  6. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Dexy2010 likes this.
  7. Dexy2010

Dexy2010 Moving in

Whitney Hitt
    I just wanted to thank everyone for all of the suggestions!
    Sevro seems to be adapting and he has gained back about 2 grams of weight. He had lost a great deal. *fingers crossed that everything keeps going well*

8. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Joyriding the Neighborhood Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    I buy some hemp seeds that are not in a hull or shell. Called Hemp hearts and my birds love them.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)