• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parakeet breeding

Rev.Fern Allen

Checking out the neighborhood
I have two pairs of parakeets that have successfully hatched 13 babies total. The oldest babies are 3 weeks old. The males are mating with the females already and the females Ceres are turning blue next to the break. Since I am new at parakeets (I raised doves) Will the females lay eggs with babies still in nest and what does t he blue crew mean. The babies are tame and none mind being held as we clean the nest and their feet and bills. Is it time to supplement feeding.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I suggest that you move all those babies into separate cages males in one, females into another. 3 weeks old female are not old enough to be having chicks or laying eggs. JMHO

Tiels36

Sitting on the front steps
Congrats on all your little chickies. I would give the hens and males a rest so they rebuild their calcium. The chicks can't breed healthy until at least 18months old. In answer to your question: I think they will but will stop feeding the chicks as they need the energy to incubate the eggs and get ready for the new chicks. I would take the chicks away from the mother but put them in 2 cages by themselves,in the boxs they were bred in(keep them in there clutch), supplement feed them if you are happy too. I would then leave the pairs without boxs for a month or so to become a bit stronger - I would be exhausted:) - and then they can go again. Option two you could think about is just not letting the Hen nest on eggs and then when the chicks are ready to wean take out of the box, put them in a seperate cage and take the box out from the pairs so they can recuperate. Hope I have helped, please anyone correct me if I just rambling:blah:. :heart:

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I think they mean the adults are breeding again.
The females' cere change is probably due to them coming out of breeding condition.
Sometimes pairs WILL want to breed again right away, to the point of injuring babies by kicking them from the nest early if there isn't any other spot to nest. But it is best to give them a rest now, especially with the cere changes. Since the babies aren't ready to leave the nest, I would leave them be for now, but provide an empty box of some sort, just in case they get too eager to nest again - you don't want them kicking the chicks out early. If no more eggs are laid, you can remove the nextboxes as soon as the babies are starting to leave the box - you can still leave them in with the parents a bit longer to be sure they are fully weaned, but without an enclosed box to encourage nesting.

If you have a problem with them laying eggs or trying to breed when they should be resting, you can try doing what show breeders do, and keep males and females in separate cages/aviaries outside of breeding season.