• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Panting while getting scritches

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
OK, so Olive does this thing while I'm giving her scritches where her beak is open, her tail is "bobbing" (for lack of a better word), and she sounds like she's panting. At first I thought this might be the pionus wheeze and I was making her nervous. However, she almost always does it when she's all blissed out, eyes closed, flipping her head every which way so I get every pinny. I'm pretty sure she likes it! So... could it be related to her respiratory problems? Or is it a hormonal thing? Do they wheeze even when they're happy?

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Definitely sounds hormonal to me!;)

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah I thought so too but I never touch below the neck! And I thought pi hens clucked when hormonal? She does that too :rolleyes: But usually that's when she's on her play stand.

Also, if she was doing this in her cage all on her own, I think everyone would think she's dying of heat stroke or something. It's like she can't breathe.

Last edited:

starla21

Jogging around the block
What a beautiful signature! Ming-Ming is so talented. Also, I would have to say hormones for sure!:o:

Last edited:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
When I scritch Tiki, she either makes a sound like a baby nursing a bottle or starts her cluck/squeak/head bobbing hormonal routine. She also sometimes huffs and blows a lot of cool air out her nostrils. Not sure if any of theses are similar or if they are all hormonal.
On the way to the vet she grunted sounding like a bullfrog. :rolleyes: All of her sounds are so completely different from the rest of my guys.

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
When I scritch Tiki, she either makes a sound like a baby nursing a bottle or starts her cluck/squeak/head bobbing hormonal routine. She also sometimes huffs and blows a lot of cool air out her nostrils. Not sure if any of theses are similar or if they are all hormonal.
On the way to the vet she grunted sounding like a bullfrog. :rolleyes: All of her sounds are so completely different from the rest of my guys.
Yes! Olive makes noises and does things that I've never seen a bird do. She was the first Pionus I'd spent any time with, and it has been eye opening. :lol:It's been so hot here lately, that I almost wonder if the scritches and my body heat are just making her way too hot. :confused: It is not classic hormonal hen behavior. My quaker was female and never did anything remotely like this. I hope more people with mature pionus hens will chime in. :)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sachi used to do this occasionally during some great scritch sessions. It seemed to be an indication of excitement. When I'd see her start to pant, I would stop because I didn't want to get her all worked up and not be able to anything to help with that.

Sometimes the panting or wheezing is also a sign of distress or stress too. Depends on the context.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
My Pionus' used to wheeze when I pet their head. :)

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Kobe wheezes loudly when I skritch his head too. :hehe: And in his case it means he's totally blissed out. I heard him wheeze once when frightened some years ago... and if I remember rightly it sounded very different - a drier wheeze (if that is possible!).

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh good, I am relieved! I used to stop every time she'd start doing that, but it was clear she was enjoying herself...so I wasn't sure. And with all her respiratory problems, I'm constantly watching for abnormal breathing behavior. :)

Cyreen

Yep, Mayu wheezes sometimes when she's excited. She'll bow her head waiting for scritches with her little eyes closed, already wheezing. So cute!

Kimmie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim
Sounds like Olive is absolutely LOVING her scritches to me :D. My BHP Bella will do the Pionus wheeze when she is getting her scritches and lovin's and when she's REALLY enjoying it will PANT with her beak open a bit and bob her tail. She is in the lovely "hormonal" phase right now again :rolleyes: and that's a completely different sound :lol:. The best way i can describe the Pionus wheeze is...it sounds like a kid with a real runny nose breathing in and out really fast through their nostrils, that's why i call Bella my "Snuffalufagis" :rofl:. Now the" hormonal" sound is totally different from these and you will know it when you here it!...it's just too hard to describe in words :hehe:. Hope i have helped a bit :D.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Pionus are just wierd:D:heart::heart::heart:

kitsunebandit

Avenue Veteran
Me being me I'd of freaked out hearing that but it seems normal haha. Sounds cute if anything!

Status
Not open for further replies.