• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Panic attacks in eclectus

4birdlady

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi all. Im after some info from anyone that has an ekkie that has had a panic over anything. What did the bird do and did it exhibit any recurring behavior. I recently took on a second ekkie that had a fright and not only froze up but had a foot cramp for a few mins..... Even stranger my other ekkie had had the same thing a year ago and the year before tha but no fright only was upset as i was being ready to go out. My vet said could be hormones as it was around the same time each year. They one in question was back to normal after just a few minutes..... Has
anyone had anything similar?

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Well I (myself) have panic attacks, and although they're probably different in birds, I'd say it would be nice for them to soothingly talk to them in a low voice and to sit nearby. Sorry I couldn't be of more help :)

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
The Eclectus Parrot is highly intelligent, but is also particularly susceptible to stress. If your bird is appearing boring, dull, lethargic, shy and maybe stupid. What you're really seeing is the Eclectus Parrot's reaction to stress. This happens when confronted with unfamiliar situations, surroundings or strangers, they freeze and wait.
Early signs of stress

• Disinterest in certain foods or a decreased appetite
  • Lethargy or decreased vigor
  • Fluffed up, loosened plumage
  • Sudden loss of color intensity and shine of feathers or a dull beak
  • Awkward postures or alteration in perch stance

The cage is the Eclectus Parrot safe haven and any attempt to enter and add or remove items and this includes the bird, will trigger a bite response. This why you build trust with the bird in the cage (safe haven) first.

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
When you describe this to your Vet do they think it is a "fright" or a neurological issue? I have had many Eclectus parrots over the past 10 years as fosters and pets and I don't recall any of them having that issue and some where breeders so my home was the first home they were in. I have had toe tapping and toes having issues from the build up of chemicals in their bodies before from the wrong diet they were previously on.