• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Palm oil/exreact

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoso

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bob
I was wondering if "Parrot Palm Fruit Extract" and red palm oil were the same thing. (Maybe its what they call palm oil in the UK?) I have heard people mention red palm oil before but have never tried it. I am interested in opinions on using this in my African Grey's diets. Is there anything special to look for when buying this product? (I see all kinds of different brands and types on the market). My greys eat a primary diet of pellets. (They also eat whole foods of course). Would adding this extract overload them with excess vitimins, minerals, or other additives? I am looking for opinions on the subject. Thanks in advance.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bob, Red Palm Oil (RPO) is made from the fruit of the tree. See this thread I posted earlier and the links people provided.
http://forums.avianavenue.com/feathered-food-court/42517-red-palm-oil.html?highlight=palm

I use RPO with all my birds. It is a natural food of African Greys. It improves feather structure and aids with dried skin. I use it by spreading on a small piece of toast, mixed on fresh foods and bake it in my birdie bread. Some birds love it, others turn their beaks up. It's worth giving it a try. I know that Kathie at MSBS carries it too,

Zoso

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bob
I have purchased palm nuts in the past but I thought this would provide a year long supply when they are out of season. I think I am going to get some RPO in my next order from Kathie. Next problem is it comes in all kinds of different brands. Sunshine factor is the most popular from what I can tell but is it any better than the generic huge tubs of the stuff for the same price? Does it store well? I also would like some kind of guideline of how much to use? (I would like to buy 3 months worth or so at a time). Thanks for the link, it proved very helpful!

Irina

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irina
Bob, palm fruit extract and red palm oil is the same thing. When it comes to how much to use I stick with Avix/Healx sunshine factor dosage guidelines not to overload with my timneh's body with fats (http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/rc/ssf.pdf). I do prefer to get Sunshine factor brand here in the Uk as I know it is organic and responsibly sourced and also free of contamination. If you stick with that dosage it lasts a while too.

Status
Not open for further replies.