• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Paired male finches, one injured the other, had to seperate.

CaptainPow

Moving in
A Zebra Finch Male and a smaller Zebra Finch White Male, the larger common Zebra injured the smaller white Zebra to the point of bleeding. Thankfully I was there and stopped the bleeding then separated them. This occured due to the larger finch chasing the other, which has been a daily occurance for a while now. For context I found the smaller white finch outside injured and alone in a country and environment he is not native to and wouldnt have survived, probably ran from someone. I nursed him back to health and brought the other common Zebra to pair them because I literally could not find any other zebra finch whites in my country. They at first paired very well and rather quickly, they bath together, sleep right beside cuddling to each other and groom each other several times a day, but a few months ago the chasing began and hasn't stopped. I've had to seperate them multiple times already and I am afraid the next time will be worse than just a small bleed.

My main question, is it okay if I keep them in seperate large cages, each cage to their own, to stop the chasing and possible future fighting?

WatDoing

Moving in
Real Name
Delaney Shipley
Future fighting might occur but my question to you would be do you know the genders of the finches?

WatDoing

Moving in
Real Name
Delaney Shipley
They are both Male.
I know birds can get like this reaching sexual maturity or being frustrated. Finches do sometimes attack each other. Depending on how many times it has happened you can keep them in separate cages for now it could be due to a breeding issue because of no female I’ve seen that happen a lot. If they got along fine before and this was a couple time thing then don’t worry to much about it, if it does keep happening after, then just make sure you’re in the room with them if you do have them out together. For now make sure to keep an eye on them and make sure they aren’t getting territorial over each other.

CaptainPow

Moving in
I know birds can get like this reaching sexual maturity or being frustrated. Finches do sometimes attack each other. Depending on how many times it has happened you can keep them in separate cages for now it could be due to a breeding issue because of no female I’ve seen that happen a lot. If they got along fine before and this was a couple time thing then don’t worry to much about it, if it does keep happening after, then just make sure your in the room with them if you do have them out together. For now make sure to keep an eye on them and make sure they aren’t getting territorial over each other.
Well, seeing as they usually take turns on each other mating, I dont think its the issue of wanting a female..

WatDoing

Moving in
Real Name
Delaney Shipley
Well, seeing as they usually take turns on each other mating, I dont think its the issue of wanting a female..
That is probably why they got aggressive. When two of the same gender birds are kept together they will try to mate with each other, it might be possible that one of the finches wasn’t “in the mood” and then attacked the other bird. My advice would be see how they do for the rest of the day and then put one of the finches in a different cage when time it’s time for bed to see how they do.

WatDoing

Moving in
Real Name
Delaney Shipley
That is probably why they got aggressive. When two of the same gender birds are kept together they will try to mate with each other, it might be possible that one of the finches wasn’t “in the mood” and then attacked the other bird. My advice would be see how they do for the rest of the day and then put one of the finches in a different cage when time it’s time for bed to see how they do.
This website might answer more questions for you.

CaptainPow

Moving in
This website might answer more questions for you.

The perch squabbling might be the problem, they have a lot of perches but some of them are very long, maybe breaking them up with clothing pegs stops this?

WatDoing

Moving in
Real Name
Delaney Shipley
The perch squabbling might be the problem, they have a lot of perches but some of them are very long, maybe breaking them up with clothing pegs stops this?
Most likely it will. If you can try taking things out of the cage that maybe one finch is a little more aggressive over too. I know what helps sometimes it changing things in the cage, moving stuff around etc. it helps keep the birds of “woah why is this here and that here” more of a distraction that can help with fighting sometimes.

CaptainPow

Moving in
Most likely it will. If you can try taking things out of the cage that maybe one finch is a little more aggressive over too. I know what helps sometimes it changing things in the cage, moving stuff around etc. it helps keep the birds of “woah why is this here and that here” more of a distraction that can help with fighting sometimes.
I removed their jungle jim in the corner which may have posed as a nest, broke up the longer perches with clothing pegs and bought smaller perches to replace the empty corner where the jungle jim was, I will also soon buy a 2nd bath just incase. After a day of letting them sit seperately I re-added them both to the one cage with the changes. So far no chasing after several hours, just glancing around with curiosity, exploring the new branches and some cuddly napping.