• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pain Relief?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fossil

Meeting neighbors
The background story: Sweedie had a wing injury that was never taken care of many years ago (due to me being young and parents enthusiasm on that "it will be alright just keep him warm"). Since then, that wing has always bothered him on occasion. Now that he's older, it seems to flare up pretty bad now and then. Its bothering him right now; he tries to stretch it and he screams in pain. And he is flighted, so when he flies, that agitates it as well.

I don't have the money to take him to Dr. B. The parents aren't willing to pay, and I don't have the time or large enough audience to do art to raise enough in even two months.

My question is, are there any remedies for pain, while trying to sidestep going to the vet? We have some DMSO, but other than that, I don't know what else to use, and it really hurts to see him in so much pain.

Last edited:

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Dr. B is a great vet and cares so much for the birds. Do you think he might take payments in your case?? Never hurts to ask him. If it were me I would email to find out.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Sweedie needs heat, that will help.
He likely needs some metacam, this isn't that expensive. Maybe if you tell them that the old injury is painful :(
Maybe he will just weigh him and give him the med :(

If he is screaming, I really think that you have to give him some medication relief. YOu will feel much better and not so worried

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
Maybe you could just call your vet up and ask if he will give you some pain meds like Donita said. Because it sounds like he really needs something. Heat is also a good idea as mentioned. Another suggestion is to call your vet, say you can’t pay the full price now and see if you can make monthly payments. A vet who cares will do this.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Last edited:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I'm sorry he is in pain. I hope he feels better soon. Like Ginger said maybe the vet will take payment plans or maybe you can volunteer work for the visit costs. Sounds like he might be feeling discomfort so maybe the vet can give you some meds for him to alleviate what he is feeling.

Last edited:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
cayenne is better then cinnamon I misspoke :hug8:

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
HI,

Here are a couple of links to a product call DMG. Many vets have used DMG for arthritis, it may or may not work for you but is worth the try. Cayenne mentioned above may also give some relief, sprinkle on food.

Dania had a good suggestion: call an avian vet an plead your case. Ask over the phone for suggestions on what to do for the bird, a caring compassionate avian vet may help you out.

Dimethylglycine (DMG), Immune Boosting Supplement for Cats and Dogs - Immuno DMG Liquid

What is DMG, how does it help, autism, immune system, neurological disorders ...

I will do some reading on DMSO and get back to you.

gary

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
It can never hurt to call and ask and see what your options are in the first place. Your bird needs to have some sort of relief. Your vet may be willing to work with you, or may have some suggestions for OTC rememdies, or may even prescribe something to your bird without necessarily needing to charge for a vet visit.

Fossil

Meeting neighbors
Thanks everyone. I can try but my mother still isn't willing even with that idea. I'll have to do some persuasion. And look for a job so I can cover future vet bills.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Is there anyway you could pay your mom back after you get a job?

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
Is there anyway you could pay your mom back after you get a job?
That is a good idea. Jusy tell your mom he is in pain and he needs relievf. I hope she understands because it's horrible for an animal to be in pain. You can try going to a few pet stores, Im not sure if this will work but maybe they have something for pain for birds. They might have something. Im going to Pet Smart this morning. I will take a look for you if they have any, if they do I will get it and send it to you if you want. It's your decision.

Also call your vet, my vet said when my dogs have pain I can give them children’s Tylenol. You MUST weigh your bird and give the dosage recommended by weight. However you MUST call your vet. Never do this without calling your vet. My dog had one eye removed, long story, we are trying to save the other eye. At times she gets pain due to it and this is how I found out that they can be given children Tylenol.

Last edited:

Fossil

Meeting neighbors
I am happy to say we now have Metacam. His wing is feeling better but when it flares up again, i can give it to him. Which will be a pain, haha.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
That is great news!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.