• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Paco bit me! How to handle this situation

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I wish I could use a T stand or a perch, lordy he is terrified of that. When I first got him I had him in a different cage, it didnt seem to bother him, I had to clean his old cage it was a nightmare. He adapted well, back to his old cage, however he is afraid of the old toys he had. I leave them on top of his cage. I thought he would remember them. I waited for him to go after some nutri berries in his bowl before I left, I didn't want to push the issue of stepping up. I will make sure I have a long sleeve shirt on in the future. I just don't want to cause any bad habits , we have a long life together. Oh, I forgot to mention he is starting to reach for the top if my head when I clean his cage, no bite, but I don't think its a love tap either.
Hi Terri,
T perches can be a bit scary to a bird. I personally don't use them. Have in past, but what you have to do is familiarize the T perch to him.
By that, I mean leave on top of cage. He sees it and realized it won't attack him or hurt him. 2-3 days would be good. Play with perch to show it's not hurting you either. Show that it's fun. My birds were terrified of the broom. Not so much now.
Paco is wild caught, his nature will be slightly different in his trust vs a hand fed baby cag growing up apart from the wild. Each grey is unique in its personality. You will be hard pressed to find two greys with exact identical personalities.
Grey's tend to be in control, it's always on "their" terms. Not yours. For instance, My grey will sit inside his cage in morning when I wake up. I never shut my birds in their cages, and most of time, never shut bird room door at night.
They wait till I'm up to get them freakfast.
My grey will sometimes not be ready to come out for breakfast, he'll put his head down and push my hand away. His way of saying "not now" , if I persist, then he'll give a little nip, not hard, but again his way of saying " I told you not now!!!"...
That's my cue to know he's not ready, and take rest of birds, and leave him behind, saying " ok greyson, your going to miss breakfast" .....
After about 10 minutes I go back in
Lean on cage with my arm on it and say, " breakfast, are you coming? It's good yum yum"
He'll them climb out up to top of cage, then step up on my arm. I don't reach for him, I let Him come to me.
Bites are painful, yes, but don't ever show fear, birds sense that and can play the scare you card,
To be in control. Silly as it sounds, don't even say ouch!! They find that amusing. Saying NO is perfectly fine. They come to understand that perfectly well. All my birds know that word and if I say no, they stop.
If they are on my arm or hand and want to bite, I drop my arm to my side real fast, they have one place to go, off me. They come to learn, if they want on me they don't bite, plain and simple.
Your bird will take a good 6 months or even longer to fully bond and trust, normal length of time. Don't rush it, because rushing solves nothing. Many will say train them to do this train them to do that, that's fine if your going to be showing them off on America's got talent.
My philosophy, let the bird be a bird, go to their level, see what they see. Trust is earned with a bird. If they can't trust you, there will never be a true bond.
Last but not least, daily routine....keep it simple, but keep it persistant. A regular routine a bird understands. An irregular routine and your bird becomes confused and frusterated.

Last edited:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
That's great to hear. I have another situation and I hope I don't sound silly. As fellow beak freaks I'm sure you'll understand.

I had plans to go out of town on the holiday weekend. Of course I never knew that I would loose my Bugsy (amazon) and then Paco came into my life. I can take him with me, (3 hour car drive and will be in a smaller cage) 2. Leave him here in the care of my room mate, I don't think I'd sleep a wink, this man forgets to feed and water his dog. Or I can take him to his previous owner. I would take his veggies and fruit in baggies for her and his new food. I'm sure she can watch him for 2 days. But it won't be his cage.

This is making me loose sleep, that grey ball of fluff has wormed his way into my heart.

I'm ready to just stay home. If I do let his previous owner, will this be a set back from all of what we accomplished?

If I try to discuss this with my adult children they think I have a screw loose, they don't know the bond that you can have with a parrot. My oldest is a little more understanding. Non bird people just think "oh it's just a bird" we all know better then that.

Looking forward to the awesome advice I always receive here.

Well if I lived closer you could leave him here, I'd watch him...

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
No, one is in MD and the other one is who I am going out of town with.

Last edited:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
So you got Paco from a friend.... and that's the same person you are considering to have care for Paco while you are gone?

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Thanks Hawk, I would trust you too. Paco has a silver leg band with writting on it, of course I can't get close enough to read it. My Amazon was wild caught an had an open leg ring. The only history I have on him is he is 19, and has been vet checked, but no paper work. HIs owner the lady I got him from had him for 6 years and he was given to her from a couple, I know nothing about them. I do know that his cage was in horrible condition. Took two days to scrub the crude off of it. His water bottle was slimy brown. They had put up plexie glass sheeting on 2 sides of the cage to contain his mess I guess. The stench was horrible, ther was about four inches of dirty shredded newspaper. She told me she gave him a piece of carrot and a piece of brocali. Her son said he gave him a piece of green pepper. He threw it on the floor. This poor guy is afraid if every thing. Toys, newspaper, fruit and veggies. We are slowly making progress, he doesn't even chew anything. I feel like he doesn't even know how to act like a parrot. All suggestions welcome

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Well she isn't really a friend, but she seems like a nice lady. House is clean. I know ignorance is not an excuse. I honestly don't think she knew she wasnt taking proper care of him. When he started pluckung since she woeked all of the time she dud know it was time to find him a new home. I find it odd. In 7 weeks she has not contacted me to see how he is doing.

Last edited:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Well she isn't really a friend, but she seems like a nice lady. House is clean. I know ignorance is not an excuse. I honestly don't think she knew she wasnt taking proper care of him. When he started pluckung since she woeked all of the time she dud know it was time to find him a new home. I find it odd. In 7 weeks she has not contacted me to see how he is doing.
Hmmm, she worked all the time. Grey's get bored very easily. They're needy, and love companionship. A grey without lot's of toys and things to do is a sad grey. A grey by himself hours on end with no one around is a depressed grey. No wonder he doesn't know how to act.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Wow, I'm beginning to wonder if you should board him at an avian veterinarian's office while you're gone!

I don't say that lightly either.

Normally I'd say get someone to come to your home but it sounds like the other person there may forget to feed and water him AND if that dog lives there and could be roaming the house while you are gone, that could be a bad recipe of danger for Paco.

In any event, I feel vacations are necessary for humans. Stress is a huge factor that can gets us if we aren't careful.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Trust me I have been been stressing over this for a week. I'm tempted to say the poop with it and stay home. I won't enjoy myself worrying about him. Shoot I worry when I leave him to go to the store. I know Bugsy's death was very hard on me. I had started a new job, i had to leave her, drive 2 hours home praying she wasnt gone, and then another 2 hours to vet. Only to have to decide to put her down 3 days later. And pick uo her ashes. I'm in tears now. I love my babies as my own children. Only bird people can understand. Bugsy was with me for 25 years, the longest relationship I had other then my two girls. I don't want to stress Paco out with all of these changes. On a cell phone and lost my signal. The dog is basically outside and the door on my room is a hard wood screen door with a lock. We have come so far in getting to know each other and I dont want any set backs. I dont want to leave him with okd owner or my room mate not even for 2 days. Thank you everyone for your advice.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Well after careful thoughts, either he goes with me or I stay home. I just don't trust anyone to take care of him. Isn't that awful....? Too many people just have this mentality it's just a bird. Grr I could scream! Thank you all.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Well after careful thoughts, either he goes with me or I stay home. I just don't trust anyone to take care of him. Isn't that awful....? Too many people just have this mentality it's just a bird. Grr I could scream! Thank you all.
I get it. When I'm gone on vacation, the cameras are monitored a TON.

MY son-in-law put a handwritten note on secrets cage once...... he knew the camera would pick it up!

Lynn L.

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lynn
I also have a new rescue CAG. Very informative thread, thanks. Hawk - so good to know - the post on giving Greyson his own toothbrush, so cute and what a great idea. We're obviously still working on the bond but have the advantage of having spent time together at the rescue.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I also have a new rescue CAG. Very informative thread, thanks. Hawk - so good to know - the post on giving Greyson his own toothbrush, so cute and what a great idea. We're obviously still working on the bond but have the advantage of having spent time together at the rescue.
I missed the toothbrush comment, sorry. @Hawk12237 Dr. Kersting is my avian vet. I know an article exists that he didn't recommend toothbrushes.

My vet did a paper on it. Look up David Kersting DVM A Clinical Case of Zinc Toxicosis and Potential Copper Toxicity from Toothbrushes

Lynn L.

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lynn
Interesting article. In that case it looks like the bird ingested metal clips from the toothbrush. "A ventricular flush was performed through a cropotomy incision after packing off the cranial esophagus in relation to the crop. Approximately 40 20mm rectangular metal clips were flushed out."

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Interesting article. In that case it looks like the bird ingested metal clips from the toothbrush. "A ventricular flush was performed through a cropotomy incision after packing off the cranial esophagus in relation to the crop. Approximately 40 20mm rectangular metal clips were flushed out."
I remember being freaked out after reading about that.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
What type of tooth brush has metal clips in it?

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
There were 5 in his report, google it. There were name brand toothbrushes and he describes a V shaped bundle of bristles placed in a hole and secured with a rectangular metal clip.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I was going to ask same thing!?! I use a baby or child tooth brush, soft bristols. Guarantee there's more metal clips in this. Besides, I don't give it to him as a long term toy, he used it to mimic me combing hair and shaving in mirror.
when I'm done he's done!