• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Packer Has a New Buddy!

Dorcas George

Rollerblading along the road
Yep, I finally have a second bird. It is from a pet store but they insist that all their birds come from one breeder who handles them. They advertise them as “tame.” Not the blue or yellow one I mentioned, for reasons I won’t bore you with. It’s very small, as is Packer, compared to the average size budgie, and mostly white with tiny bits of grey or blue near the tail. He may have been handled, but right now he’s scared. They were supposed to trim nails but sadly they also clipped his wings. I don’t have much time at the moment but I’ll share his name when it is decided. I had one or two picked but my granddaughter (who lives upstairs and was horrified about Breeze) has another idea. I have a very long day scheduled tomorrow so Packer will be alone with his new friend. I have a cute pic to share but it needs an explanation. More later.

Last edited:

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Yay!!!!! So very excited to hear all about the new guy..lol. Pics!!!! I can only imagine how thrilled Packer must be. Clipped wasn't your fault, but hopefully Packer will help him learn to fly when his flight feathers come back in! It is actually a good thing that they will be on their own tomorrow. Packer can dish the dirt about the landlord...lol.

Dorcas George

And I just read a post somewhere, @Lady Jane maybe from you? that it can be A YEAR till the flight feathers grow out??!! Makes me want to take him to pet store and complain because I said it wasn’t necessary. Feeling sad and angry. A year? And all this time he’s watching Packer flying around? Aaargh. Well I have to get up early so I better calm down and go to bed. Pics tomorrow. Poor little birdy,

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Congrats! Soo happy for you and for Packer!

it can be up to a year for the flights, but it can be sooner. Jo was also clipped by the pet store when we got her in April and hers were back and she was flying in August, she’s quite amazing at it now! Loki was clipped in June...he has one flight coming back on each side as of now :(

EnglishBudgMom

Walking the driveway
Bubbles came clipped, because I didn't know any better at the time, but she was flying well before a year old. Her clipped flights weren't fully molted out yet, but she could and did fly very well. Either the breeder didn't do a very severe clip, or she is a very determined girl.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Congratulations on your new bird :starshower1:

That´s really sad that they went against your wishes. If you clearly stated not to clip, then complain to the store and let them know you are unhappy about what they did, it might stiop them doing it to another bird.

I can´t wait to see pictures and hear the name you guys decide on :loveshower:

(I just want to add that it is important to quarantine new birds for a month just be sure they are clean and healthy, it also gives you a chance to take them to the vet for a checkup and also to have some one on one time with them before integrating with the flock.)

Dorcas George

@Zara Yep, she’s quarantined. Thanks! Right now the two cages are side by side together, but I'll do my best to spend some time one on one as soon as I can. New birdy seems so scared. As for Packer, he's thrilled.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Yep, she’s quarantined. Thanks! Right now the two cages are side by side together
Quarantine means separate airspace, so yours has been broken. Worth remembering should you bring home another bird in the future (or for anyone browsing comments)

As for Packer, he's thrilled.
I´m sure! :lol:
In time the little one will settle in ;)

Dorcas George

@Zara Well duh! That was stupid of me. Sheesh. I knew that...what was I thinking? Sigh.

Dorcas George

Okay here are a couple of not-great pics of...drum roll...FROST! Would not have been my pick but no big deal. The 12 year old granddaughter picked the name and is happy. In the pic Frost is inside the little travel cage. (He is moved now.) He’s sitting on a twig perch. Packer is outside the cage sitting on about an inch of branch that stuck outside the bar. He stayed there, my husband reports, for five hours. The only chirping from Frost, poor little guy, is when I rolled Packer out of the room. Loud calling from both. Packer doesn’t take his eyes off of Frost if it can be helped. And this morning he pointedly ignored me. Heh heh...I’ll give him some flying time tomorrow.

Last edited: