• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Ozzie U2 is not well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
prayers that Ozzie gets better real soon. I hope this other vet can get you some answers and a plan that gets him better quickly :hug8:

emilybsharp

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Emily
Do you have a ceramic heat lamp you can attach to his cage?
Pat, no i dont :( I am finding out that I dont have lots of things that I sure wish I did. Im going to look at that quick heat sticky because I dont have a heater either, I certainly cant put my furnace on 85

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
If you can, go to walmart or another cheap store and get a space heater, make sure you run the space heater for a few minutes without Ozzie in the room, sometimes it can stink, and I was told the smell isnt good for them. So I usually run the space heater out in the hallway for 10 minutes and then bring it into the bird room.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Pat, no i dont :( I am finding out that I dont have lots of things that I sure wish I did. Im going to look at that quick heat sticky because I dont have a heater either, I certainly cant put my furnace on 85
Emily I know the same thing happened to me when Tequila got sick. :( They sell them at Petsmart or Petco if you have one of those nearby. I covered three sides of his cage and had the heat lamp clamped on the top of his cage. I had a thermometer on the top of his cage so I could monitor the temp. When things settle down for you, I created a sticky of what you need on hand before your bird gets sick that you can take a look at. Hang in there and hopefully you'll get some answers today. Sorry if I missed it but they have done bloodwork? How about xrays?

Redbird

Meeting neighbors
Can you provide more information about your sick bird?

1.) Physical condition including weight before illness and now? Age?
2.) Current diet and food volume
3.) How does the birds current poops look like, volume, color of both feces and urates, amount of white or crème colored urates if any.
4.) Did the vets do wet mount and gram stains? Bacteria and yeast counts?
5.) Did the vet do complete blood work? There should be more information than WBC.
6.) Antibiotics and duration? Dosage and concentration of antibiotics.
7.) How is the bird perching? Is it weak?
8.) Cultures and sensitivity testing done?
9.) Ceres how do they look, normal or swollen?
10.) How is the bird breathing, normal or labored?

Baytril works on many types of bacterial infections but not all. If the bird has a fungal or parasite infection it will need another antibiotic and or antifungal! I suggest your local vet do another fecal/gram checking for yeast and bacteria. Also discuss ELISA or PCR testing for parasites should conditions warrant.

If your bird has been chewing on metal other than stainless steel you might test for it. This is a suggestion but you know your bird better than anyone.

Remember not all vets that see birds have the same level of experience. Asking questions may be much more cost effective than handing over your check book!

Keeping the bird warm will helps tremendously when fighting an infection.

Reading and rereading this post will help you discuss your birds condition effectively with your avian vet.

Deej

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Deena
Emily PM me if you might need a space heater. I believe I have a small electric one in my garage if you can't find a ceramic heat lamp for Ozzie. I hope they can find what is wrong with him and he starts to feel better soon. :hug8:

Stacy_b

Real Name
Stacy

Ceramic heat emitters are like $25 in the reptile department, then go to walmart automotive department and get the metal clip socket thing...yes Im at a loss for what its called

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Radiator heaters are also very safe. Please keep us posted on Ozzie. Saying prayers for a full recovery. Hugs.

*K*J*B*

Real Name
Kylee
Prayers for you and Ozzie. I hope you get some answers today and that he starts to recover quickly.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Praying that Ozzie gets well soon.

southernbirds

Many of us know what it is like to have a sick animal in distress. It is heartbreaking. My thoughts and good wishes are with you and your dear Ozzie.

emilybsharp

Real Name
Emily
Thank you everyone for your thoughts, prayers and advice. It has been a LONG day, drive and all, and Im sorry I cant remember what all the questions were to answer but I will try my best to remember and answer what I can.

Yes the first vet I had blood work and a gram stain done. The WBC was 27,800= HIGH. I was prescribed Baytril. I noticed it was not getting better which warranted my concern *so im not a TOTAL nut, just a small peice* to go to a different vet, because I had a dirty feeling about the vet I went too. Well my dirty feeling was right.

So, the vet appointment today. Went as best as it could. I wish I could express the relief and lack of confusion I now have by seeing this wonderful vet. They really explain things thoroughly and do a good check. The baytril killed the gram negative rods, and his good bacteria. No sign of fungal infection as of yet. There was still gram positive bacteria present. In his (im going to mess this up so I'll just say oral) oral slit* has the gram positive bacteria. He will now be taking
Chloramphenicol
Fluconazole
Metacam
Lakes Lato-Plus
and Crit/Care feeding formula. (he lost 10g in 2wks, since the first visit)
~So theres antibiotic for gram+, an anti-fungal, and pro-biotics.
*Metacam is for his feet. She had me walk him around so she could see how he was walking if he had pain BECAUSE when I got him, his feet werent normal, but that was because of his previous life experience and it turns out, it is because of Herpes. He has tiny papilomas on the underside of his feet, which in turn caused infection.
I am to check in with the vet monday to let them know how he is doing.

I hope this answered everything. Im just really tired right now. Thanks everyone

emilybsharp

Real Name
Emily
And for further information, the herpes is not contagious to my flock, or any one else for that matter. He will not be mating so everything is fine.

emilybsharp

Real Name
Emily
And the awkward silence LOL. Hes in my flock now, and not going anywhere. Dont worry, cooties wont pass thru the computer. Im all cheered up now I feel hes on the right treatment :)

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Sweetheart,

Is he sick because of the Herpes virus? Or is something else going on? Forgive, I'm half asleep right now and I read through your post a couple of times but I'm still not sure what's going on. Is his WBC an actual or estimate? Did she do the count in the office? Is he for sure a DNA'd male?

Ginger

pinkparrot

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tiffany
:hug8:I'm sorry, I hope he gets better soon.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Emily I hope Ozzies new meds make him well. Were you able to get a heat emitter for his cage? Are you weighing him to monitor his weight? I know you have had a long day. Try to get some rest yourself. :hug8:

emilybsharp

Real Name
Emily
Not sick because of herpes. He has an infection. It was an actual WBC, yes done right in the office, and Yeppers hes definatly a boy :) I pretty much think I've got it under control now. I feel confidence that hes on the right treatment plan. Hes currently in his makeshift ICU with heat for the night so he can get some good rest without having to perch.

emilybsharp

Real Name
Emily
Hi Pat,
Yes I got heat on him now. His weight today was 565. Down from the first visit. But he is being handfed now and should be packin on some grams. Ill take his weight tomorrow :) Thanks so much everyone.

Pat I want to rest, and I have like SOOOOOO much homework to get done. I cant even concentrate on it, my eyes are burning, all I can think about is this. Tomorrow Im going to be taking care of my baby, and working on school work. Ill check in here periodically if I need too.

Status
Not open for further replies.