• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Owning Caiques?

Blue5423

Checking out the neighborhood
I've been thinking about getting a caique after my GCC passed away, and since I've never owned or met one I'd really like to know what they're like.
Are they cuddly? How loud do they get, anything about them would be great :)

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
:bump7:

Welcome to the Avenue, Blue! Hoping someone will have some answers for you soon. Sorry your GCC passed away.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
There's lots of caique parents here and many threads supplying information. I suggest you read the good bad and ugly thread first.

Baby caiques are cuddlers. Adult caiques have a strong wilful nature which is as far from lovey dovey cutsie cuddly as you can get.

They are strikingly beautiful, smart, challenging, funny, destructive, and nippy.

Exhausting too. Their energy levels are legendary

Playful yes. Cuddly no. Hormonal caiques can spit fire at you

They are the strutting pirates of the bird world. Smart and fearless.

Do you love Cap'n Jack Sparrow? Yes of course.

Do you want him in your front room 24/7/365?

Hmmmm

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
...Yes please.. :xflove::angelic:;)
Yeah he doesn’t realize what he’s asking. :laugh:

caiques can be LOUD. They can BITE and draw blood. They can turn on you in a jealous rage and bite the back of your neck 3 times, then want you to cuddle them.

They are smart and funny. Basically they just want your attention 24/7. Sometimes I wish I had a bird sitter just for part of the day.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I think it was very smart of you to come looking! Caiques are very intense birds and it is good to know what you are getting into. I was seriously considering one for awhile. Then I learned they are like GIANT Parrotlets, and I let the dream fade!

Parrotlets are sassy, opinionated, beaky, and high energy...but even the worst parrotlet bite is managable. I couln't imagine a parrotlet 10x the size :roflmao::laugh:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about your loss. How about a Poicephalus such as a Senegal, red-bellied parrot, Meyer's, Brown-headed, etc?
Cuddly depends on the individual bird.

GreenEyes

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Odile
Oh my, after reading the good and bads I think I am going to reconsider getting a caique haha
That is a great idea. I wish I could have read something like this before I rescued our BHC. I worked in a part of store and owner had 2. They were trained and has no issues. Got ours and she has issues.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I've been thinking about getting a caique after my GCC passed away, and since I've never owned or met one I'd really like to know what they're like.
Are they cuddly? How loud do they get, anything about them would be great :)

Ehhh, they are quite needy, but a ball of fun too if your patient, dedicated to the ever neediness of a caique. They want want attention all the time.
And yea, can give you some hard pinches without warning. In a sense, they have attitude very close to that of a Senegal, and have had both these birds, several actually as rescues to rehome.
But don't let that turn you off, if your dedicated to the bird then no problem.
And yea, they can be cuddle bunnies.
They work best as the only bird in the home, or similar other bird. They are not always keen on a multi bird environment.
But that's my personal experience.

Last edited:

WhoaNellie

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Oh my, after reading the good and bads I think I am going to reconsider getting a caique haha
I think that's probably a smart choice. :) I absolutely love our caique, but she's not cuddly unless it's right before bed and she's sleepy. As someone else suggested above, look into a Poicephalus species or a Pionus. I haven't had either, but I've heard they're nice birds. Apparently, I prefer terrorist birds.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My fiancé is fascinated by caiques and keeps saying we should foster one (there actually aren't any currently at our rescue to foster) but I just look at him and roll my eyes. A goffin and a caique.... yeah, that's exactly what I need. :rolleyes: But they are cuties. :)