• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Owl Finches?

IttyBittyBirds

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Laura
I have always had a thing for Owl Finches. A neighbor of mine growing up bred finches and canaries and I used to LOVE going over to his house to play with his granddaughter and see his birds. I almost got some Finches when I was in middle school, but being we already had a Sun Conure and a Blue Front Amazon (my dad’s), my mom gave a hard NO LOL!

Anyways, as some of you know I hatched a ton of Button Quail eggs, and as cute as they are, they are soooooo messy and honestly more like tiny chickens than cage birds, so a friend of mine hooked me up with his friend who has a “Bird Farm” and would like to buy my button quail. LONG story short, I am heading over tomorrow to drop off the quail, and he mentioned he should have Owl Finches in (my friend blabbed that I am obsessed with them), and he would love to trade if I would like a pair.

Sooooooooo.....does anyone on here have Owl Finches? I would love to hear any experiences/tips from people who have had them. I have read a lot about them over the years, and would be prepared to care for them, but wasn’t quite ready yet. I can get everything I need there if I do decide to take some as he sells caging, supplies and feed. If I do get them, other than the normal things to look for in healthy birds, and air sac mites, is there anything to be wary of? These would go in a totally separate part of the house than Waldo and Jax so quarantine will be easy peasy.

Also, thinking way ahead here, but my other tiny bird obsession is Diamond Doves....I have always wanted them. If I were to theoretically get both someday, would they be compatible in a large flight or aviary? If not no, biggie as they seem even harder to find than owls, but just curious if anyone knows. :)

PS- Sorry for the novel LOL :blah:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Ooh owl finches are so beautiful! Please post a pic of two once they´re settled in if you decide to bring them home ❤

IttyBittyBirds

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Laura
I will for sure! I still regret not getting some MONTHS ago when I was visiting Jax before he was weaned. I have only ever seen them in person a few times, it seems like they are hard to come by now. I also like that they seem to be less prolific than Zebras. I just love their muted colors and little faces! :xflove:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I’m sorry, I thought I had responded!
I don’t have any now, but a friend couldn't get hers to breed so I “fostered” them for awhile. They are so cute - and sooo tiny, and this is coming from a Gouldian finch owner! LOL

Have you had zebras? They’re very much the same care. I’m sure you will get instructions on feeding and so forth. I would treat for parasites and so forth during quarantine.

I have a bunch of finch information at https://www.gouldiangardens.com

IttyBittyBirds

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Laura
I’m sorry, I thought I had responded!
I don’t have any now, but a friend couldn't get hers to breed so I “fostered” them for awhile. They are so cute - and sooo tiny, and this is coming from a Gouldian finch owner! LOL

Have you had zebras? They’re very much the same care. I’m sure you will get instructions on feeding and so forth. I would treat for parasites and so forth during quarantine.

I have a bunch of finch information at https://www.gouldiangardens.com
Thank you!!! I haven’t ever had any finches. Just always thought they were super adorable Gouldians are gorgeous! I will read the link now! Thanks for the help!

IttyBittyBirds

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Laura
Well never got to go Bc my son ended up getting a mystery rash and we went to the Dr instead. Which is very close to the “Bird Farm”, but didn’t want to risk anyone having to stay in the hot car before or after Drs so skipped it. I have a Dr apt tomorrow so hoping to get over there on Weds now. Hope they still have some Owls by then! If not it just wasn’t meant to be I guess!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I saw some in the wild a few weeks ago. It blew my mind. I had never seen them in the wild before and there was a small flock of about 8-9 hopping around some grass. I did not get a photo but it was an awesome sight. I had to do a double take, was I imagining these sweet little gems... but they were really there. Very chatty and having a nice feed :)

IttyBittyBirds

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Laura
I saw some in the wild a few weeks ago. It blew my mind. I had never seen them in the wild before and there was a small flock of about 8-9 hopping around some grass. I did not get a photo but it was an awesome sight. I had to do a double take, was I imagining these sweet little gems... but they were really there. Very chatty and having a nice feed :)
Awww so cute!!!! Where did you see them?