• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Overweight Senegal Parrot

Gallows

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Hello! To preface this post, I would like to first start off by listing my darlings' eating habits. I have two senegal parrots - one male (5 years old), and one female (4 years old). They are currently feeding on a pelleted diet (Zupreem Large Bird FruitBlend, mixed with ~20% Naturals) that is supplemented daily with fresh fruits and veggies. Peanuts and papayas are among some of their favorite treats, but I never have them out and available in their cage. Nutriberries serve as my in-cage treat.

They each have their own cage, both filled to the brim with toys and foraging opportunities. As a surprise to absolutely no one, they love it! They have one standard dowel perch (I plan to replace them soon), three rope perches (where they spend most of their time), and two natural therapeutic perches. There are no sand/concrete perches. What are your opinions on sand/concrete perches, by the way? I have my birds' nails trimmed at my vet, and I don't mind spending the money. I was just curious as to whether or not it served any benefits, or if they ultimately committed more harm than good.

Anyway, my male comes from a rescue, and he's always been at a perfectly healthy weight. Right now, he's sporting a good 150ish grams. My female, on the other hand? She was adopted from an individual, and most commonly alternates between 190-200. The average weight for senegal parrots - as far as I've seen from references online - tends to fall between 120-170.

It was clear when I first brought the female home that her original owner must have inundated her with unacceptable treats. Why did I come to this conclusion? Well, in the travel cage that she was sent home with, there was a cup of human-grade popcorn resting at the bottom of the cage - I didn't notice what it was before I left. She was also overweight when I put her on the scale. Like many parrots, she vied for whatever food that I was eating. She would go out of her way to climb down from her bird stand, walk across the room, climb up the couch, and try to lean into my plate.

Since she's lived with me for several months now, she has come to learn that I will not offer her anything that I'm eating. However, despite her changed eating habits, she has maintained that same weight. Is 20-30 grams overweight unacceptable? If so, what steps should I take to make my baby healthier? Also, I do intend to get her checked out by the vet, but he's currently away on a research trip for the month. Just looking for some general suggestions. Thanks!

AussietheLovie

Moving in
With many vets, parrot weights are less judged by actual mass than by the fat/muscle coverage over their keel bone, providing a body condition score (BCS, a helpful chart here http://aviansag.org/TAG/Passerine/BS/BS_11.pdf). When you take her to the vet, they'll feel her keel (or if she'll allow you to, go for it, if you'd like!) and give you a definitive answer. BCS can help us to get a good idea of healthy 'weight' without using the physical mass. Some birds are totally healthy at 20 grams over average, just like people! Evidence of 'cleavage' around the keel bone (BCS 5), where a bird looks like it's got two large breasts, rather than a smooth, continuous chest, can be a good indicator of being rather overweight. This isn't to say that she's definitely overweight/definitely not (especially with big bowls of people food!), it's just to give you a bit more info/something to check out while the vet's away :D

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Averages are just that ;)

Like mentioned, the body condition is a much better indicator.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The one thing I notice right off the top is that you are letting your birds have peanuts. Peanuts in addition to having a very high fat content (undesirable fats) have the potential of killing or making your birds very ill. Peanuts have the potential of being contaminated with Aflatoxins (that can kill your bird very quickly), which are produced by the Aspergillus fungus and left on the peanut. There are many nuts that are much better for your bird and do not carry the high risk of peanuts. Walnuts, pistachios, almonds and pine nuts are all good and contain much less fats.

Peanuts in shells and danger of Aspergillosis to Parrots

Gallows

Avenue Veteran
The one thing I notice right off the top is that you are letting your birds have peanuts. Peanuts in addition to having a very high fat content (undesirable fats) have the potential of killing or making your birds very ill. Peanuts have the potential of being contaminated with Aflatoxins (that can kill your bird very quickly), which are produced by the Aspergillus fungus and left on the peanut. There are many nuts that are much better for your bird and do not carry the high risk of peanuts. Walnuts, pistachios, almonds and pine nuts are all good and contain much less fats.

Peanuts in shells and danger of Aspergillosis to Parrots
Thank you so much for this information! I will definitey pull all of the peanuts and replace them. They don’t seem too fond of walnuts and almonds, but they do like pistachios!

Gallows

Avenue Veteran
Evidence of 'cleavage' around the keel bone (BCS 5), where a bird looks like it's got two large breasts, rather than a smooth, continuous chest, can be a good indicator of being rather overweight.
That's another thing that I was concerned about: she seems to be resembling Mizzely's overweight portion of the chart. Her neck is thin until it reaches the chest, where it seems to buldge out slightly. Here is a video of her for reference:

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola
Yeah, from the video she looks to be overweight. You can try reducing her food portions by 15-20% while weighing daily. Does she fly also? Exercise helps a lot! If she’s clipped, even just holding her and moving her up and down, enough so that she has to spread her wings and flap (but not so fast were she feels like she needs to launch off) can help burn some of that fat off.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So a bird should eat about 15 to 20% of their body weight a day. I would start weighing out her food and dividing up most of it between foraging toys so she has to work for it more. Definitely don't want to cut her off too quickly though, so a gradual change is good, and of course keep weighing :) You don't want her to loose too much too fast!

Gallows

Avenue Veteran
Yeah, from the video she looks to be overweight. You can try reducing her food portions by 15-20% while weighing daily. Does she fly also? Exercise helps a lot! If she’s clipped, even just holding her and moving her up and down, enough so that she has to spread her wings and flap (but not so fast were she feels like she needs to launch off) can help burn some of that fat off.
I do not have any of my birds' wings clipped - but unfortunately, neither my male or female flies. My male has an excuse, though - his flight feathers are pretty butchered from a wing-clipping gone awry from his previous owner (from whom the rescue confiscated). My female has shown no flying skill, but she does hop around and jump far. I will try to move her up and down like you suggested; we actually do that to play sometimes!

Gallows

Avenue Veteran
So a bird should eat about 15 to 20% of their body weight a day. I would start weighing out her food and dividing up most of it between foraging toys so she has to work for it more. Definitely don't want to cut her off too quickly though, so a gradual change is good, and of course keep weighing :) You don't want her to loose too much too fast!
Thanks for that! I will start weighing out her food more carefully according to her weight. I have my male and female eating the same amount, but I suppose it would be better to adjust hers. Should I weigh the fruits/veggies, as well?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thanks for that! I will start weighing out her food more carefully according to her weight. I have my male and female eating the same amount, but I suppose it would be better to adjust hers. Should I weigh the fruits/veggies, as well?

If it's JUST veggies, then I wouldn't since they are low calorie and high in water. But if there is fruit, grains, beans, etc, I probably would add those to the calculations :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Does she have a swing? It's great exercise for the bird to actually move the swing back and forth on his/her own. My Senegal loves swinging and is able to move the swing on his own.