• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Overfed or fine?

Starchy1

Moving in
Real Name
Paris
My parent cockatiels go through a ton of food just to feed their babies, understandable! However, im worried they may be overfeeding those crops? I would hate for them to become impacted, I dont know how common that is though. They are feeding their babies pellets and seed. I offer them soft foods such as greens and boiled eggs with shell every day, but they never want to try it!! Very frustrating but I havent given up hope on them eating their greens. I offer them a wide variety of other veggies as well. I also noticed the babies are showing signs of flaking skin, is this normal? I have pedialyte to offer them if they need hydration.

Attachments

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
As I understand it (from lots of reading and some breeding experience), mom and dad bird will fill babies to near bursting.
If the babies are being fed from pellets, maybe they don’t need much more protein?
crop impaction is very rare when parent birds are feeding babies.

have you got a hygrometer to measure humidity in the nest box? Years ago they recommended putting a few pennies in the nest box to keep it moist in there but if you are in summer season I wouldn’t think you’d need to do that.