• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Overfed Cockatiel Chick Crop??

What do I do??

• Feed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wait until morning

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Vet

Votes: 18 90.0%

• Total voters

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You'll need to have the vet get the air out if you cant, also have him/ her show you how to feed. Your trying, sending good thoughts. :hug8:

NotVictor

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Victor Gutierrez
Right now I'm trying to massage the air out of its crop and I think it's working.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Right now I'm trying to massage the air out of its crop and I think it's working.
That is okay to do if you are gentle. The biggest thing you need is to keep him warm too. If he gets too cold he will not be able to digest his food and that will lead to crop slow down and if not reverse he would die. Raising very young babies is difficult and getting the heat right is very important. You will need a thermometer. You can get one for reptile cages at a pet shop if you have one nearby, you can buy a digital meat thermometer at a grocery store or Walmart. Getting everything at the right temp is critical.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Cockatiel Cottage has a lot of info on raising cockatiels you might find it helpful.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
How long has it been since you fed him and how does his crop look?

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I'm new to this and barley know what I'm doing, the crop wasn't this full before the picture. This was the only chick that hatched but had to be removed as the parents were trying to kill it. I only have a small box with nesting hay and cut in half makeshift sock blankets. My family doesn't have a digital thermometer. I drop some formula on my finger to make sure if it's warm enough, and I make sure to only keep it in warm areas away from fans, a/c ect. It might not seem like enough but I'm trying the best I can to keep it alive and well.
Babies can not make their own heat. You will need a heat source to keep him warm too. He will die without heat. If you hold him in your cupped had he will start to get warm but obviously this is not practical in the long term but the baby should always feel warm to the touch.

NotVictor

Real Name
Victor Gutierrez
At the moment I think I massaged all the air of the crop and keeping it warm in my hand

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
At the moment I think I massaged all the air of the crop and keeping it warm in my hand
That warmth will be lifesaving, can you get a heating pad? That is probably the easiest thing to do.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Brooder ideas I use professional brooders but in an emergency this will work. Many people only use this type of brooder it just needs more monitoring and is not as accurate but you can find all the supplies locally. You can also use a plastic shoe box size container, if you don't have on it's only a buck or two.

Heating pad, towels, box and a thermometer.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea

Victor,
I'm glad to hear your chick is still alive. Obviously, you can't keep this little baby in your hand all the time so tell us what you will do for a brooder set up to keep it warm. Has the crop fully emptied by now...no food left in it? You have not attempted to feed it again? What exactly are you feeding this baby. We need an updated photo.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
This my opinion beat feet to the nearest avian veterinarian asap. Have them show you how to properly hand feed this baby. Air in the crop can also mean a yeast infection. Make sure to sanitize sanitize sanitize everything that you are using to feed this chick. That mean washing it well, rinse, then using something like F-10 to sanitize. Never use bleach to sanitize. Personally I prefer single use syringes, use once and throw it away. You are going to need a scale that weighs in mg also. Keep track of the baby's weigh, weigh before you feed every time. I use a notebook to keep track of its weight. A brooder is nice to have but expensive, a make shift one will work. This is what you'll need, heating pad that STAYS on all the time, a five gallon fish tank, towels, paper towels, a digital thermometer that stay in the tank and something to cover the tank.
Put the heating pad under the tank on lowest setting, put a towel between the tank and heating pad. Put the heating pad under half of the tank. Put the thermometer in the tank where you can easily read itand let it warm up. About 85°- 90° no hotter no colder, line the inside with paper towels and rolled hand towel under the paper towels. The rolled towel gives the baby a place rest against. Every time you feed clean the paper towels out, check the poopies to make sure they are consistent with size, no smell, not runny ,not hard either. Any changes to poopies vet time. @Zara I never feed after midnight and started at 6AM the next day? Does this sound right to you?

NotVictor

Real Name
Victor Gutierrez
Crop still has food in it. I'm feeding it Exact bird formula.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Victor, so you are saying the food still in the crop is from what you fed it the very last time... would that have been yesterday afternoon or evening?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
One more question: Have you contacted a veterinary clinic ( hopefully an avian vet) about this baby yet?

NotVictor

Real Name
Victor Gutierrez
Last night at 9 and I've calling a few vets in my area but will have to go to the next town for a bird vet.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Your hand warmth is not enough for this baby to process the food its eating. Remember that mama bird sits on it babies to keep them warm. That warmth helps the baby to process the food. You need a brooder now. If this one is not processing its you need to get to the vet period now.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please never breed again.

Also, I see a lot of air in the crop there.

Go and visit your local avian vet and seek urgent help. Ask for handfeeding advice.
It is not normal that the crop grows after feeding. It should grow whilst you feed the baby, then it gets smaller as time goes on and eventually the baby will cry indicating hunger.

Formula temp is soo important. Go and buy a thermometer, they are cheap from chemist.

I second this.