• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Oven bags

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks for sharing. I never knew that.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
So sad! I think I’d heard that before about the bags but a reminder is good to prevent this happening to others.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Could some bags be different then????

I believe I have used a bag to cook a turkey before.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I don't know. I'm increasingly unsure about it. I googled it after I made the post, and it's a mixed bag (excuse the pun). Some say it's dangerous, and there are plenty of stories from people claiming their birds have fallen victim to them, but then there has also been some copy paste stuff floating around the internet since the 90's and no clear information as to its validity. Most of the stuff saying they are dangerous seem to source back to this copy paste. This story reads quite different to those, though. The woman seems very sincere in her post, but I can't see what it would be in that brand of oven bag that would do it? Perhaps it was something else, and the internet just convinced her of the wrong thing.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
It's been posted many times on this forum. Clueless, I do recall you commenting on one of them. I posted a thanksgiving warning thread this year, I'll do another near Xmas but cooking bags are on the list of deadly household items. Microwave popcorn too! Small birds always fall victim fast, think canary in the mine. Larger birds will take longer or survive through the suffering. :(

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
How sad, I hope the rest of her flock was okay.

I've heard similar stories and seen a few debates arise around it.
While there was never any clear conclusion or provable data, seeing what people had to say I wondered... They are very common and undoubtedly like teflon pans many people use them ""safely"" for years without issue. I will never use them (not just for Peanut, I'm not to keen on wrapping my food in plastic and chemicals even if I didn't have a bird) but read the box before and it said not to exceed temperatures of 400 Fahrenheit. At that temp, or lower in faulty bags, it could possibly releases fumes whatever non-stick component was used in the bag? (or whatever plastic is used, who knows.)
And since cooking things in the oven at 350 is the norm, if the bag touches the side or the top of the oven that bag may start to melt (quite possible with a huge turkey, my father uses them at his house and they can inflate with steam even if vented.) Not to mention, if someone is in a hurry to cook that turkey they may not have read the instructions on that box and cranked the temp up.
Just a theory.

Whatever is going on, even if they are just heartbreaking rumors or something else was the cause, I personally wouldn't risk it.
Such a simple thing to remove from my life with safer alternatives, bags aren't missed.

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Are the bags you're talking about the clear plastic ones? I have used them a number of times with my bird twenty feet or less from oven and no bad effects but I wouldn't want to take chances if this is the same bag. I have seen bags made of other substances like foil

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
thank you posting this, and adding about the microwave popcorn. I read that early on and previously enjoyed microwave popcorn. It is no longer allowed in the house.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I talked to someone at my vets office this week and mentioned the turkey bags. Apparently they are not safe and parrots do die from these. I guess that some parrots are able to tolerate some things better than others. We all know birds that survived horrible situations, right?

When you consider there's a "chance" that a bird can lose its life, it's not worth the risk. If I use another turkey bag here, the parrots will be delegated to the bedroom with the door closed.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
If not reading this here, I would not have guessed turkey bags as they look like cellophane.

Barbara2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barb
You can sure learn a lot from this forum, I had no idea, thanks so much. This site is the best!!!!!

Last edited: