• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Outdoor aviary

Jolly

Checking out the neighborhood
I want to build an outdoor aviary for my birds in the summer but am not sure what material I can use and what is safe for my birds. Please help !

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
What types/sizes birds do you have? Here is mine from 2014. I had to take it all apart when we moved and will be putting it back together April or May.

First Aviary Panel | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Oiy, I was much thinner then...

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Here's mine built 20180207_134335.jpg out of stainless steel mesh. Very pricey, but non toxic to birds.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
What sort of birds have you got? If they are large, a metal frame might be better. I went for hard wood (Iroko) for my latest aviary. The mesh is stainless steel. It is attached to the house so I only have to open the French doors when the weather is warm.

The above seems more popular with my birds than the aviary we had in London which was aluminium and galvanised steel. It was also attached to the house. I was never happy having galvanised steel even though I washed it down with vinegar and water as suggested.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I agree. For my peace of mind I had to go with SS mesh. Wouldn't be able to forgive myself if they ended up with metal toxicity.
@Fuzzy I love your setup and all the plants!

Last edited:

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I agree. For my peace of mind I had to go with SS mesh. Wouldn't be able to forgive myself if they ended up with metal toxicity.
@Fuzzy I love your setup and all the plants!
Thanks Nikomania! I love yours!!! The double doors is a must if the entrance is from the outside. The one in London had one too which is the L shape leading off. Would have much prefered to have a hard floor like you, but had to make do with the decking that was already there. In fact Ollie started eating the old softwood decking so last year replaced it with hardwood decking and much smaller gaps between slats. Ollie is still fascinated by what might be down there but at least he's not easily able to chew it.

The plants all came with me to Jersey - had a truck just for them! The aviary is full of bamboo. Ollie again enjoying a bath in the wet bamboo...

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
There are actually 2 entrances: the double door, and a holding area that sits between my window and the side of the aviary. Now there's no need to carry them outside. I simply open up the window, put them on the perch, and then walk outside to open the interior door to let them through 20180720_123950.jpg

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Ooooooooh that's so cool!!! Love it!! I got mine built onto the house because I couldn't easily transport Ollie. It's so easy isn't it just to open the door and let them go out themselves if they want to? :D

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
It totally is! No carriers are needed!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue