• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Our Scarlet macaws need your support.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
hi Gary, some of us can't get on to FB, could post what is going on please??

AvianCrew

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
michelle
@rocky'smom this is what it says:
I doubt there is anyone in Belize who has spent as much time with a macaw as I have. 24 hours a day for 8 years. I don't go to work, so it is literally 24 hours a day.
We live together, we play together, we eat together, we even sleep together, though not on the same perch!
We have developed a bond beyond what I ever imagined was possible with a bird.

I tell you that, so you know I'm not talking as someone without at least some knowledge of the macaw species.

I am a member of just about every parrot forum in the world. I have gobbled up every bit of information my brain can take in on macaws, not just Dino's species, but all macaws.

But this is not about Dino, this is about the travesty Belize is going through right now. It is about Big Red & Rosey, the Scarlet macaws that have been doomed to a life on Harvest Key, for the entertainment of Norwegian Cruise line's tourists and is being claimed as a conservation effort.

Conservation, on a wind swept island, in a cage for countless cruise ship tourists to swoon over. That is not conservation of the species, that is dooming them to a life of stress.

Stress, you know that feeling right? You've been through it many times. Fun, ain't it? Well, birds are not as strong as us in that department. It is their number one killer. They do not do well under stress and wind is a pet hate of theirs, as is countless people in close proximity. They didn't choose to live as far from windy conditions and humanity as possible by accident!

In fact, macaws will even prove it to you. They get lines on their tails that run horizontal, a few months down the road from when it actually happened, caused by severe stress. Look for them when you see Big Red & Rosey at Harvest Caye. They'll have them.

As for conservation. What a laugh. Macaws are hard to breed in perfect conditions, just ask the likes of Roni Martinez and his amazing conservation team, who actually are conserving them in the wild, where they belong!

I for one am disgusted by what the Belize Forestry Department and BAHA have done with these precious birds, not to mention they've granted themselves a license to take 10 more Scarlet macaws, from the wild? Conservation at its best - take from the wild and try to breed in captivity! Way to go!!!

Please share and spread this. Our Scarlet macaws are seriously in need of your help.

All this, after I praised Belize so highly last year for their efforts to prevent the capture of parrots. Now the government themselves is doing it, because the cruise lines come first!!!

Motherof'tiels

Strolling the yard
What happens when they loose there pretty, silky feathers? They get killed, shipped to some rescue or home(which in all honesty would be worse, being transported in a tiny cage for hours in the dark ) Or they get replaced. NO bird should be replaced. If they are turned to rescue birds they might not be adopted, or adopted by someone who does not know how to take care of animals.

It pains me so much. I never wanted to even walk in the parking lot of a circus.

sorry rocky's mom i cant edit it out for some reason