• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Our next adventure (Prosthetic Update)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Dr. Dixon called me a few days ago and said he heard back from his colleague, and the equipment needed for Java's prosthetic is a 3D printer, which Dr. Dixon doesn't have in his clinic. What does this mean? It means that Java and I are going to have to take a 4-hour drive to Knoxville where Dr. Dixon's colleague, Dr. Greenacre, works at a veterinary college. Java has never been in a carrier that long, so I'll have to get him prepared for the trip. I'll also have to save up a bit for the procedure. I asked Dr. Dixon how long it would take and he said it could be done in a day, but I would probably be in the Knoxville area for about 2 or 3 days. Looks like I'll be booking a hotel as well. Not only am I excited about this next chapter in our lives, but I'm also nervous about the potential stress of Java traveling for several hours, being in a hotel for a few days, and then handled by several people who would be working on this project. I'm hoping to get this done before the end of the year. I've never done anything like this, but I'm super excited about taking this next step!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
That will be wonderful if Java can have a prosthetic leg. I have so many questions about the procedure and how it can be comfortably attached and how his damaged nerves will affect it and how he will be trained to use it...………………………….. My vet has done beaks and turtle parts, but I don't think an entire leg for a bird.

Please keep lots of notes and keep us informed - inquiring minds want to know.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That will be wonderful if Java can have a prosthetic leg. I have so many questions about the procedure and how it can be comfortably attached and how his damaged nerves will affect it and how he will be trained to use it...………………………….. My vet has done beaks and turtle parts, but I don't think an entire leg for a bird.

Please keep lots of notes and keep us informed - inquiring minds want to know.
I most certainly will!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
How exciting!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
This is amazing! I can't wait to hear the progress and thanks for this update!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope everything works out well with that. The 3D printers have been beneficial for creating many wonderful things such as prostheses.

Status
Not open for further replies.