• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Our new bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
As he gets settled in, make sure you share more pictures. I love lizards and snakes, but can't have any more pets and need to live vicariously through yours. :rofl:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I think he's very cute! :D

prettyinpink

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
Hey Susan just have one recommendation as Heather already is doing a great job.

The best uvb lamp on the market is the reptiSUN 10.0
Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB Bulb Reptile Fluorescent Bulbs
Almost all the other ones actually emit bad rays which are extremely bad for their eyes.

Also, mealworms aren't good for little ones as their exoskeleton shell is too hard to digest. for some reason even though crickets look harder they are easier to digest.
I usually order 500-1000 crickets for $20. Crickets should be dusted with vitamins, if you don't already have them.

As for the gender... you can't really tell until they get older.

I really hope this helps. I love these little guys and try to help anyone that needs it.

Baths for little ones honestly should be at least every other day. They don't usually drink it unless they are thirsty or are trained to but they actually absorb it threw their butt :lol:. Kirby hates bathes but some love it. Kirby is actually potty trained.
Oh and put the water just above their elbows.

Hope this helped!!! :hug8::hug8:

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Hey Susan just have one recommendation as Heather already is doing a great job.

The best uvb lamp on the market is the reptiSUN 10.0
Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB Bulb Reptile Fluorescent Bulbs
Almost all the other ones actually emit bad rays which are extremely bad for their eyes.

Also, mealworms aren't good for little ones as their exoskeleton shell is too hard to digest. for some reason even though crickets look harder they are easier to digest.
I usually order 500-1000 crickets for $20. Crickets should be dusted with vitamins, if you don't already have them.

As for the gender... you can't really tell until they get older.

I really hope this helps. I love these little guys and try to help anyone that needs it.

Baths for little ones honestly should be at least every other day. They don't usually drink it unless they are thirsty or are trained to but they actually absorb it threw their butt :lol:. Kirby hates bathes but some love it. Kirby is actually potty trained.
Oh and put the water just above their elbows.

Hope this helped!!! :hug8::hug8:
Oh I'm glad you knew about the mealworms. I couldn't remember why they were bad for them. And I second the recommendation for the reptisun 10.0 uvb bulbs :)

Hypancistrus

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lauren
Only thing I would suggest is that you look into getting slate tiles for the cage bottom. We changed our adult beardie over to that a few months back and couldn't be happier. It also keeps his nails well trimmed. He is lovely! I am sure he will fatten up under your care.

Status
Not open for further replies.