• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Our Neighborhood Cat

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
I do not believe I have ever mentioned anything about our outside/neighborhood cat, DiNozzo (named after Anthony DiNozzo from NCIS).

September 2016, we found this grey and white cat in our yard, rolling around in the dirt. My brother approached him, and successfully picked him up, without the cat fighting or trying to get away. I ran and got my dad, and we decided to give him some food. We put down a bowl filled with cat food in front of him, and he gobbled it down. It was obvious he was really hungry, and we figured he was just a very sweet stray cat. He wasn't neutered or didn't have a tag. We somehow convinced our parents to let us bring him inside. My dad checked for fleas and ticks on him, and couldn't find any, so they let us bring him in the house. (Which, now that a look back, was a very stupid decision, as he could have had any disease which could've been transferred to us or our other pets).

When we first brought him in, it was obvious he did not like other animals, at all. He would make a growl-like noise at our pets, specifically our cat, Gemma. Gemma was not aggressive towards him at all, just very curious. Soon enough, he started to get used to our dogs and was fine with them, but he still hated our cat.

Even though we assumed he was a stray, we still decided to put up posters around the neighborhood and at our local Publix store. We desperately waited for someone to call, to say we had found their cat. However, nobody did. And, after several days, we noticed someone had taken our posters down. They hadn't fallen, there was no sign of them anywhere. And other posters that were up on the same sign hadn't been ripped off. Now, we guessed that he did indeed belong to somebody, and that somebody just decided to get rid of the posters rather than contact us.

In addition, soon we discovered that he was an outdoor cat. I woke up one morning to be told by my dad that they had let DiNozzo outside again. Apparently, he had been driving them crazy, wanting out of the house and was happy when they let him out.

However, even after we let him out, he kept coming back. He never showed any signs of wanting to come back in, but instead just wanted food and attention. And, to this day, he still comes back for food and love.

However, recent signs have started to make us think even more that he belongs to somebody, or some people, more like. First, he's been getting fat! He's not exactly FAT, just a bit chubby. We don't even feed him that much, and most of the time only once a day. Perhap he is getting fed by other people, too. Secondly, we have seen him hanging out with at least 2 of our neighbors outside. You can also often see him hanging out in their yard. So maybe he's just the neighborhood cat, that gets loved and fed by several people and probably has many names.

I wouldn't be posting about this if I didn't want help, though. I'm starting to become worried. I am really against having outside cats. Anything can happen. He could be hit by a car, attacked by an animal, exposed to many, many diseases, and, not being neutered, could get a female cat pregnant and bring even more stray, homeless cats into this world! And, having just adopted another cat (Yoda), my parents would not want to bring another animal in to this house. And with it being Winter time, it can get cold! I don't want him stuck out in this weather! It can get to be 30-40 degrees at night here. I just don't want anything happening to him, and he's not really our cat. And that's the frustrating part, we don't know who he really belongs to!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Is his ear clipped? If so that means he was at some point neutered and giving rabies vaccine. The average lifespan of a feral cat outdoors all the time is a short 2 to 3 years. I grew attached to a very pretty outdoor living cat and fed him for 2.5 years. He was robust and very large in size. He had fight scars and previous injuries all over him. When he was trapped he had all the vaccines and neutered. In the end that was a mistake because he no longer hunted for food and he was chased by other animals. Sometimes this ended up in injuries. Eventually he grew thinner and thinner. I had to stop putting food out for him because someone reported me to the condo association and I got a letter of notice to stop feeding or receive a severe fine.

One day I noticed him trying to go to bathroom in the dirt and began screaming in pain. It was at that point I managed to get him to climb in my lap and then to the carrier. He was euphonized. I could not take him indoors because he went absolutely crazy to get back outside and at that time I had 3 cats already. So I tell you this story to prepare you for what may happen to this cat. Sure you can take him to a vet but a feral cat is just that, feral and will be totally stressed out and unhappy. The kindest thing to do for him is to get him trapped and euphonized rather that live in such cold weather and risk injury every moment of his life.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
@Lady Jane I had thought the trap, spay/neuter and return programs were a positive way to help cut down on the feral cat numbers, and they do that. Your response made me curious and there are many accounts of just what you describe on the internet. It does help cut down on the feral cat population as their lifespan as wild, outdoor cats is short. The folks advocating those programs don't really speak to that and it was news to me. I had only heard the accounts of limiting the new kitten population. It made me quite sad. Peta's stance was interesting: "Nevertheless, PETA’s position has never been that all feral cats should be euthanized. We believe that trap, vaccinate, spay/neuter, and release programs are acceptable when the cats are isolated from roads, people, and other animals who could harm them; regularly attended to by people who not only feed them but care for their medical needs; and situated in an area where they do not have access to wildlife and where the weather is temperate."
I really can't imagine a place like they describe unless someone develops that, it just doesn't exist otherwise. Thank you for sharing the other side of the experience.

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Can you get him neutered? That might help to not increase the stray population.
I would love to, but I'm not sure my parents would be interested in spending the money to do it, especially when he's not really our cat.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Check with your local city hall to find if you have a Trap-Neuter-Spay program to help get him neutered and his shots so he isn't passing disease. These groups stop the reproduction of the strays and put them back in the neighbourhood to keep out other strays and solve the overcrowding which causes the fighting and eliminates disease epidemics. Really, it will be good for him and give him a longer, happier life.