• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Our First Parakeet Died - Help!

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so sorry for your loss :sorrow:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
So sad! I'm sorry for your loss! :(

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm very sorry for your loss.

Hadassah

Moving in
Real Name
Hadassah
So sorry for your loss.........last summer the smoke from the Canadian Wild fires all blew down into Washington State. I was really worried because the sky was orange and red from all the smoke. You could feel it at the back of your throat. Anyway, they seem to do OK, but yes, some things are out of your control. I guess you need to come up with a plan for when that happens again. Maybe placing the bird in a small enclosed room like a bathroom and then turn on a strong enough air filter and that hopefully would get you through those future field burns.
We are from Oroville, WA so we understand the fires up there. We were still there almost 3 summers ago with the Okanogan fires. It was 8 miles from us. Our kids wore masks to play outside. I'm glad all went well for you last year. I like your idea about the air purifier in a bathroom. Thank you!

If I were you I would make some calls about this neighbor burning. I think there is at least a permit needed. Start with the fire department and keep going. Once it gets settled perhaps you can get another bird. Hugs for you and family for this terrible loss. Please let us know what happens. For a necropsy the body must be refrigerated until transport.
Thank you! We're in Missouri, they're allowed to burn here... we did bury our little sweetie yesterday so we could just put this all to rest. We're still missing her much.

So sorry for the loss of your little one.
Thank you for your kind words....

How heartbreaking.:sadhug2: I’m so very sorry for your loss.:sorrow:
Thank you so much. : )

She was a beautiful bird. What was her name?
We were still in the process of naming her. The kids liked calling her just "Birdie". We considered "Hanni" (our daughter Hannah's nickname who picked her out). To me she's just sweetie. : )

Sad to say that Missouri permits open burning statewide on agricultural and forest lands. Here is a link to the MO Department of Natural Resources publication on open burning. Again I'm so sorry.

Thanks again so much Mike and thank you for the link! I do like a lot of the relaxed regulations and such here... it was just unfortunate that one of those happened to affect our family and our Parakeet's life to make it so short. My husband made a box for her yesterday and we all buried her. We can see where she is out our back window. It's something how little of a thing (the bird) can pull at your heart. : )

PUB2047 - DNR

Hadassah

Moving in
Real Name
Hadassah
Thank you again for all of your replies. We did learn something from her and that is that we do love birds very much! It was a privilege to hold and comfort her in her last hours of life. She kept her pretty eye on me until the end. I kept her still after her last breath as I didn't want to chance her coming back to suffer anymore. We buried her in a homemade box outside of our kitchen window so we can still see her in a sense. I felt such a loss without her that I simply could not rest without having another bird in our home so we got one just a few hours ago today. We have doves all over the neighborhood and our yard here and our neighbor raises them down the street (outdoors in cages). They fared fine through the smoke so that is what we got today, a ringneck dove. We will take measures to protect her next time they do any type of burn. I have found a nice forum to ask questions about our future with "Lily" our ringneck dove, and maybe more. Thank you again so much.

If anyone knows how I can change Parrot in the Title to Parakeet, I'd greatly appreciate it! :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Parakeets are Parrots ;)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So, I've heard! :) Are they in the same family?

Parrots, also known as psittacines, are birds of the roughly 393 species in 92 genera that make up the order Psittaciformes. The order is subdivided into three superfamilies: the Psittacoidea ("true" parrots), the Cacatuoidea (cockatoos), and the Strigopoidea (New Zealand parrots).

So depends on what family you are talking about!

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry :sorrow:

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I am so sorry for your loss. She was a cute little baby bird.

We had a smoke problem at my house just yesterday when my bathroom heater fell over onto a towel. My parakeets, and bare eye cockatoo inhaled most of the smoke. Please inform the breeder or pet store about this because parakeets are fairly hearty birds so it could have been something going on in where she came from

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The Mods have to correct the posting titles for some reason we cannot. I believe there are other members who have doves as companions.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I am so very sorry for your loss

Hadassah

Moving in
Real Name
Hadassah
Parrots, also known as psittacines, are birds of the roughly 393 species in 92 genera that make up the order Psittaciformes. The order is subdivided into three superfamilies: the Psittacoidea ("true" parrots), the Cacatuoidea (cockatoos), and the Strigopoidea (New Zealand parrots).

So depends on what family you are talking about!
I have a lot to learn! How interesting.... thank you so much for sharing!