• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Our collie lucky is having an operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
:hug8: I'll be praying extra hard the tests come back good.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. I am grateful believe you me, but at the end of the day we have to be realistic.
If Lucky was a human being I would be aware of her chances, as a pet and animal then what do I know?
I shall be talking to a vet first thing in the morning and finding out some answers. In the meanwhile Lucky is lying by me feet and will not leave my side, just wanting to be comforted. I am hoping she will have a fairly comfortable night wearing the huge collar she has to wear until her wounds have healed and her stitches come out.
Healthy or not her bed is by the side of me in my bedroom and I will only have to put out my hand to touch her dear face and comfort her.
To say this has been the worst year of my life is an understatement, and I keep thinking it has to end soon surely, but then we have the bigger picture and none of us knows what that is.
All week I have been seeing just the one Magpie in our garden and that is not a good sign. One for sorrow, two for joy..... never two. :hug8:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Healing thoughts and Prayers for Lucky and Huge:hug8:for You Anne:hug8:

Kathy

Rollerblading along the road
Thinking of you and your sweet doggie :hug8:

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
Ann, I will keep you in my prayers! I love you!

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Tonight i am very sad and trying hard not to be hopping mad. We rang the Vet's as they had not contacted us as planned. After being kept on the phone waiting an age, I was told she was ready to be collected.
It was pouring with rain and we headed on the ten minute journey through our Town's traffic rush hour.
A very young female vet took me into a consulting room and told me she had found a mass on Lucky's one ovary. She had removed the mammary lump and the large ovarian mass should be sent for histology to see if it was cancerous or benign. Having to bare in mind the colosal bill I already faced, I said what would the result of this test prove? Worse case scinario Lucky does not have long to live, best she could heal and have a few more years. So we go back on Thursday for them to check her wound over. Then to have the stitches out.
She is wearing a huge plastic collar to keep her from pulling out her stitches, and licking her wounds.
In the old days I would have had a phone call with lucky on the table and asked did I want them to proceed or put her down. Today I would have wanted her put down, as I know what is in front of her, and it is not good.
We used to have the choice for our pets, but apparently not anymore. I will keep her as comfortable as I can for as long as I can, but in the end it will all come to the same thing. I think I can start feeling mad now. :mad:
I'm sorry about Lucky. But, they did remove the mass, so maybe Lucky will be ok. The mass could be benign. I will be thinking of you and her.

CeddysMum

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
Oh Ann, I'm only just now reading this! I am so sorry about all that stress you and Lucky have been through! :(

I do hope from the bottom of my heart that the results are good and the mass is benign.
Sending many, many healing vibes and you will be in my thoughts! :hug8:

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
Ann :hug8: i hope everything turns out fine....
i'll keep u and lucky in my prayers...

Jadesmom

Real Name
Mary Ann
Best wishes and healing thoughts from our feather and furry family to yours. All fingers , paws and claws are crossed for a good outcome.
Come on Lucky...live up to your name.
And PS - she is just beautiful. :heart:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Thank you all for your kind thoughts, it is appreciated believe you me. Lucky had a fairly comfy night and became a bit distressed early hours so gave her all her meds and it settled her.
She had three weetabix in milk and sugar as a treat for her brekkies and wolfed it down. Went for a short walk out in our garden between showers.
In to the Vet's to pay my bill and ask to see someone, but they were all busy until mid morning and then I had another appointment.
Will see Holly the Vet tomorrow when we take Lucky in to have her wounds checked over and can ask her my questions then.
Have also asked for a print out of all the records of all of my charges and it will be ready for me tomorrow.
Depending on what answers i get tomorrow and once Lucky has her sutures removed as it is all covered in my bill, will decide whether we stay at the practice or move on.
I have been with them for over 50yrs and never owed a bill or given any trouble, but nowadays it seems to be just one big rush to see how much money they can charge for everything, and how quickly they can get you out through the doors. It has left me very disallusioned with the whole experience.:(

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Did someone buy the vet's office and you didn't know about it????
I would be upset also...:hug8:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
No Billiefaye, the main senior vet was just starting there as a student many moons ago and now all the others before him have got older and retired, with him now being the Senior and a lot of younger vet's coming on behind him.
There is an army of staff to have to pay out wages to and suppose that must be a hefty outgoing, but the prices for everything have gone through the roof over here. Having said that I know I could shop around and find more reasonable rates with just the same high quality work as there.
Because we always used this practise I wanted to stay loyal to them, but that has become a luxery that I am not going to be able to keep up. Anyway you do not get to know the staff like in the old days, and the turn over is rapid with the receptionists and the younger Vets. Think they are worked so hard that they get tired and move on. Sad sign of the times.:hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
many positive thoughts and prayers on the way

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Many hug and prayer to both you and Lucky. Having her by your side is very special to both of you. Give Lucky a big hug from us and tell her we hope she has a speedy recovery.

:hug8::hug8::hug8:

gary

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I'm so sorry Ann. I know how frustrating it all is. Sending prayers for Lucky. :hug5:

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Healing thoughts for your adorable Lucky, Ann, so sorry about this happening to you both.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Thank you all for your support. Just put it down to life and it's knocks! Lucky has been velcrode to my side all day today and so good about her wounds and sutures, Knows they are not to be touched.
I have given her a lot of freedom from the dreaded collar, when I am able to keep a good eye on her and know she is not touching anything she shouldn't.
I am so proud of the way she has been and just hope that the prognosis is a lot brighter than I know it is going to be.
She was just used to living in a tool shed at night on a rough bed of sacks, and roamed the farm at her leisure during the daytime with nobody to take much interest in her welfare. My younger daughter started relief milking there after her day job and used to take along some food for her and shut her in at night and leave her out in the mornings.
She came to us for just two weeks, four yrs ago and has stayed eversince. Going from an outside dog to one who is used to nothing but the best! My motto is if it is good enough for me then it has to be for them. She sleeps on a bean bag by the side of my bed and she is the first thing I clap eyes on in the morning and the last thing at night. :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.