• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Our collie lucky is having an operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
as I speak. she was starved from 9pm last night and I had given her a bath in readiness during the afternoon. today I washed all her bedding, dried and aired it all ready for her return.
She had an infection of the womb and has been on a course of antibiotics first to clear up the infection.
Now the Vet receptionist has just rung to say they have found a lump on one of her mammary glands and needed permission to remove it as it bumps up the final heftybill that much more.
I of course had to say go ahead, she needs every chance of more life even though she is a large dog and ten yrs old. We could still have her a few more years.
I am going around like a scalded cat working to keep busy until I get the phone call to go and pick her up. :(
Two pics of her two favourite positions!

Attachments

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
She is a cutie!
Healing thoughts headed her way!
When I was young, I had a Cocker Spaniel that was named Lucky! He was my best bud!:hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Ann, saying prayers for Lucky. She is a beautiful girl. I hope she does well.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Awww, what a cute dog! She's 10 years young, and still has many years of joy to bring you and your family I am sure :)

Ranyart

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pennie
What a sweet looking pup (she sure doesn't look ten years old). I'm sure she'll be fine. Best wishes.

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
she is such a cutie..!
i'll keep u both in my prayers....:hug8:

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
AWW, I hope that Lucky feels better soon! She is a cutie!

Last edited:
B

Beatriz Cazeneuve

The infection must have been pyometra which can be fatal and that's one of the reasons I spay all my dogs regardless of how old they are because, even if they are no longer fertile, the spaying will eliminate the risk of this dreaded and terribly painful disease as well as diminishing the chances of them getting mammary gland tumors.

I know you are worried but she should be just fine. At the rescue, we've had a number of dogs that had to have the emergency hysterectomy as well as lots and lots of mammary gland tumors removed and they recuperate very well from both surgeries. As a matter of fact, I once had a little old maltese (8 lbs) I rescued from Katrina that had 18 tumors removed as well as getting spayed AND having a HUGE bag of pus and blood hanging from her behind (the product of an anal gland that got infected and had not been treated for years) also excised. They had to remove all her mammary glands on both sides of her belly as well as the skin between them and sew her back together from her chest to her vagina. The skin was so tight they had to use rubber tubing to thread it together so it would not split from the stitches. And she was walking around, eating, drinking, pooping and wagging her tail within 48 hours!

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
I have just kept that busy, met myself coming back so to speak!
All the top coat of gloss paint has been applied to the skirting boards, two door frames, window sill and one radiator.
I had previously washed the walls and paintwork down in readiness for the job I just hate and kept putting it off! Now it is all done, only have to wait for the paint to dry.
Needless to say, even though the other two dogs were kept well out of it they have managed to get grey paint on their coats at some point! Must not say too much as I have noticed i have some in my hair!
We should have a phone call to pick Lucky up by about 4pm this afternoon so not too much longer to wait. It is pouring with rain now and blowing in from the sea, will be so pleased to have her home in the warm and the dry and she can start healing.
One big problem is going to be getting her in the car, she has to be lifted in bodily, no need to lift her out though as she will just jump for it once home! They are far from stupid arent they? Thank you for your good wishes. My fingers are crossed it is all over now bar the shouting as they say.:hug8:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I will keep her in my prayers Ann.

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
I send you positive energy and prayers for her complete recovery!! 10 years is not old at all!! She still God willing has many years to enjoy with you yet!! :hug8:

southerninak

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
She looks so cute . Is she a border collie? good luck ,good wishes coming your way.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I have just kept that busy, met myself coming back so to speak!
All the top coat of gloss paint has been applied to the skirting boards, two door frames, window sill and one radiator.
I had previously washed the walls and paintwork down in readiness for the job I just hate and kept putting it off! Now it is all done, only have to wait for the paint to dry.
Needless to say, even though the other two dogs were kept well out of it they have managed to get grey paint on their coats at some point! Must not say too much as I have noticed i have some in my hair!
We should have a phone call to pick Lucky up by about 4pm this afternoon so not too much longer to wait. It is pouring with rain now and blowing in from the sea, will be so pleased to have her home in the warm and the dry and she can start healing.
One big problem is going to be getting her in the car, she has to be lifted in bodily, no need to lift her out though as she will just jump for it once home! They are far from stupid arent they? Thank you for your good wishes. My fingers are crossed it is all over now bar the shouting as they say.:hug8:
I'm thinking of you both:hug8:

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
She is a pretty girl!! Good thoughts coming your way and hoping all goes well :hug8:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Tonight i am very sad and trying hard not to be hopping mad. We rang the Vet's as they had not contacted us as planned. After being kept on the phone waiting an age, I was told she was ready to be collected.
It was pouring with rain and we headed on the ten minute journey through our Town's traffic rush hour.
A very young female vet took me into a consulting room and told me she had found a mass on Lucky's one ovary. She had removed the mammary lump and the large ovarian mass should be sent for histology to see if it was cancerous or benign. Having to bare in mind the colosal bill I already faced, I said what would the result of this test prove? Worse case scinario Lucky does not have long to live, best she could heal and have a few more years. So we go back on Thursday for them to check her wound over. Then to have the stitches out.
She is wearing a huge plastic collar to keep her from pulling out her stitches, and licking her wounds.
In the old days I would have had a phone call with lucky on the table and asked did I want them to proceed or put her down. Today I would have wanted her put down, as I know what is in front of her, and it is not good.
We used to have the choice for our pets, but apparently not anymore. I will keep her as comfortable as I can for as long as I can, but in the end it will all come to the same thing. I think I can start feeling mad now. :mad:

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I'm sorry Ann. Keep your hopes up until the results come. It might be nothing and no use in worrying until you have a definite and true answer.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I hope it's benign and you can have another good five years with her!!!:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.