• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Our cat was diagnosed with mouth cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.

sueb45

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sue
Our house cat that we have had about 9 yrs had been not eating and drooling from the mouth so my dh took him to the vet. They said he had mouth cancer so they sent dh home with some canned cat food and some powdered holistic med to give him mixed in with his food. They want him back in a week to see if there is any improvement. Anyone have any experience with this? I am thinking that maybe we should just put him to sleep because we don't know how much he is suffering. Am I being cold hearted?

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Sue-
We recently had to put my cat of 16 years down due to mouth cancer :( It was incredibly difficult. We removed the tumor, and it grew back again, and was spreading down his throat, and he was refusing to eat. This was VERY hard for us, and VERY sudden. We figured he had a "bad tooth", and when we brought him into the vet and they removed it, they said nothing about the cancer until we brought him back in because he still wasn't putting on weight, and THEN they noticed it. Between the diagnosis and removal of the first tumor, and the time we had to put him down, it was less than a month :(

If your vet feels you've caught it in time, I would try treatment. But if not, starvation is a very slow, and painful death for an animal :(

*K*J*B*

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kylee
I have no experience with this but I am so very sorry for you and your kitty. Praying for you both.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Oh Sue I am so sorry :hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Oh I am so sorry. Is this a common thing for cats to get? I would try the treatment briefly and ask your vet their honest opinion. If you see your cats quality of life is poor, then I think letting her go humanely would be a gift to her. :hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Oh Sue, I am so sad to hear this. :hug5:

sueb45

Real Name
Sue
We are going to try it for a week and see what the vet thinks. She said she has seen this in at least 3 cats this yr. As much as I am not crazy about the cat hair everywhere, I don't want to see it in pain. I hope he is not! My 2 yr old shih tzu rescue is even leaving him alone. He is usually giving him heck all the time trying to get the cat to play with him. Crazy but he must sense that he isn't feeling good.

Shamrock

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Meredith
I am really sorry to hear about your kitty. I am curious, though, as to what test(s) the vet ran to diagnose the cancer? The way you described it, it sounded like they just looked at it and were like "yep it's cancer," so I was just curious.
I truly hope that the treatment they gave you works for him. 9 years isn't all that old for a cat. My oldest cat passed away last year at 18, and I have a barn cat who is still going strong at 12.... and when I worked, it wasn't uncommon for clients to bring 20+ year old house cats into our clinic simply for routine veterinary care (they were completely active and healthy otherwise).
In any case, I'm sending lots of hugs and prayers your way!:hug8:

sueb45

Real Name
Sue
Thanks for the prayers for Boots. He does seem to be a little bit better. Maybe just because he can eat again. Will keep you posted.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
So Sorry about Your Kitty:hug8:Healing thoughts and prayers for him:hug8:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Yikes, that is horrible. :( I hope it has been caught in time and it can be easily treated so he can go back to himself. I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers. :hug8::hug8:

di_dee1

Real Name
Di
I hope he can be treated. I had to put my beloved 13yo cat to sleep a few months ago during my own chemotherapy.
He was drooling too but still eating. He would not let me look in his mouth. We went to the vet, his tumour was huge and into the jaw. He was not exhibiting any pain behaviour but the vet was sure if he was not having pain now it would not be long. He could not be treated so I gave him the final gift of love.
Many hugs to you both.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hoping your precious kitty improves.:hug8:

kim

Meeting neighbors
So sorry.

We had a cat with a tumor in her mouth several years ago.

She was treated with chemo. She started eating again and felt good for almost a year. Its was very very expensive, but we were glad we made that choice. (You would have to tell your vet to send you to a veterinary oncologist, they won't volunteer to do it, because most people won't spend that kind of money.)

If you want to go holistic, I would try Essiac Blend Profile

sueb45

Real Name
Sue
Thanks for being here guys. Boots really down hill over the long weekend. He must have bit his mouth when he was trying to eat because his mouth was bloody and looking really bad. He was not eating and really just layed in a corner under a table. I had to go to work today but my dh took him into the vet. They said they could xray it and see what was going on but as we talked about this morning, he had them put him to sleep. He brought him back home and buried him in our trees. I can just see him saying a prayer over his grave. I talked to him a little while ago and told him I was so glad he did that. Our kids and grands will be glad to hear that. I have a son in Az in the Air Force that felt really bad last night when I told him that it was probably going to be today. I was never as close to Boots as my dh was so I never thought it would hit me this hard. Just really a sad day..:(

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.