• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Our Beloved Departed

OK Mike

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
Nikomania's post about the passing of Rex really hit a soft spot in my heart. It got me thinking about the wonderful furred and feathered companions I've been blessed to have by side in my 66 years. The loss of each and every one of them hurt but I feel like I'm a better person for having them in my life. Below is my favorite picture of me and Chief, my Appaloosa stud. He was part of my life for 33 years, half of my time on earth so far. I never had to coerce him to be with me, he was there because he wanted to be with me. I'll post more of departed loved ones later. Feel free to add pictures of your own treasured companions who have passed over. Cheyenne kissing me for a treat.JPG

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a great idea. :hug4:

I’ll share a picture of my sweet Beni from when I first adopted him.

B46ACD72-399B-4399-8826-D673F1FFC559.jpeg

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
This was a great idea, Mike. And what an adorable and beautiful horse. I've always wanted a horse or pony; they are amazing creatures. So sorry for your loss.

I lost my beautiful Budgie, Bella, several years ago. It hurt like heck. She loved everyone and even the rest of my family, who aren't bird people, enjoyed hanging out with her. I brought her home from the pet store, but she was special. She was bonded with an employee working there and when we first saw her she was hanging out in his pocket. The man said she was looking for a home and he thought we'd be perfect for each other. Unlike most birds from pet stores, she was very much tamed. She loved hanging out with her people. She was also missing a toe, though I'm unsure why. My parents knew how much I loved birds and I guess that's why they let me have her. What makes it hurt so much more, is that her death was completely avoidable. As much as I hate saying it, I'm 100% responsible for her death. I made a mistake involving her food and while I was at school she choked and died! I'll NEVER be able to forgive myself. She loved us so much and I'm the reason she is no longer alive. She depended on me and I failed her. I am tearing up right now because I love and miss her so much. :sad11:

I guess I did as much research as possible after her death and now I'm super paranoid when preparing or buying food for my birds. And whenever someone brings up Bella, I get so ashamed and act like I don't hear them.

I would post pictures of my baby Bella but I was younger at the time and didn't have a phone and it would take a while trying to find one on my parents' phones because they took very few. :(

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Great thread, and I’m so sorry for everyone’s losses. Chief looks like an amazing horse, and what a wonderful photo of the two of you. I’ll try and post some photos later.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
@OK Mike that picture says it all:heart: I am so sorry for everyones losses:sadhug2:
I lost my cockatiel baby 1,5 year ago, he was my first bird friend. He was not treated well At all in his previous home, and missed part of his beak. He was my special boy and he Will always be in my heart:heart:
0743E90A-EA0E-4F54-B5C5-0C66B8859F9F.jpeg
My heart dog Kely passed away three years ago, and four years ago my two most beloved giant rabbits, Quanoek and Frodo, passed due to poisoning.
I hand raised Quanoek, because she was rejected by her mother. She was my little cuddly darling. She would grab something and run around with it like a dog. The other one, Frodo, was my goofball. He was very well trained and would stay somewhere I told him to, and when I started running he would follow like a heeling dog. He loved to jump around. They could both wear a harness with a retractable leash and loved their walks. After they died, we had only one rabbit, Smeagel, so we adopted another rabbit, Olive. I didn't really click with them, and a few moths later we adopted another giant rabbit, Gana. She was still pretty young and my baby girl. She got along perfectly with the other two, but after two months she was killed by Smeagel. It will keep hurting that they are not here anymore, but I will never forget any of them.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I like the idea of this thread. Sometimes sharing helps with the healing.

In the last few years I've lost the two that made my little family whole.
They had both been by my side for over 12 years.
We traveled through the states, trained in many venues, hiked, played and remained a team all those years.
The 3 of us were tighter bound than I ever knew. They even listened to my parrots ordering them about.

Quanto went first, Esko the following year.

They are both now gone. Both lying in my back yard, in a patch of ground they share with Gimli and my recently passed kitty.
I can see where they sleep as I do dishes in my kitchen. Out the window I watch, I imagine them both sitting and watching me back.
Ghost dogs who will never leave me.

Life is quiet without them. No one to hike with (my grandson fills in as best he can), the day long adventures we took are over.

I miss them terribly. I know exactly how others feel. There is a hole left in heart and home. All we have left are photos and memories.

Quanto and Esko

quanto and esko.jpg

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Ziva, my sweet scarlet, was taken way too soon. I still feel a lurch in my heart when I see a scarlet. I cherish and love all my birds, but she was really special. I'd wanted a wide yellow band scarlet my whole life, and she was so sweet and loving.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Jenna was a rescue because her original owner fractured her skull with a 2x4 when she chased a squirrel. She had food issues (pretty sure she went without prior to the rescue and me) and never really learned to play with toys as she'd never had any. Nonetheless, she loved us dearly, protected our home, and allowed my nieces and nephews to basically maul her. She died in my arms the day before my birthday several years ago.
image.jpeg

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I like the idea of this thread. Sometimes sharing helps with the healing.

In the last few years I've lost the two that made my little family whole.
They had both been by my side for over 12 years.
We traveled through the states, trained in many venues, hiked, played and remained a team all those years.
The 3 of us were tighter bound than I ever knew. They even listened to my parrots ordering them about.

Quanto went first, Esko the following year.

They are both now gone. Both lying in my back yard, in a patch of ground they share with Gimli and my recently passed kitty.
I can see where they sleep as I do dishes in my kitchen. Out the window I watch, I imagine them both sitting and watching me back.
Ghost dogs who will never leave me.

Life is quiet without them. No one to hike with (my grandson fills in as best he can), the day long adventures we took are over.

I miss them terribly. I know exactly how others feel. There is a hole left in heart and home. All we have left are photos and memories.

Quanto and Esko

View attachment 268398

Beautiful shepherds, Becky! I know your pain. I've been thinking about getting a dog lately. We'll see...

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best

Beautiful shepherds, Becky! I know your pain. I've been thinking about getting a dog lately. We'll see...

I'd love another GSD. I work too many hours now though. Some day.

A dog in your house? It'll be running in terror! Any breeds you love especially?

OK Mike

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
Shadow was the gentle giant of my 28 equine companions. I trusted him with my precious granddaughters on or around him. Had him for 17 years. He was 25 when he passed. My horses, mule and our family dogs, including my kids dogs, are all buried on the side of Horn Mountain in Alabama. We lived on our farm there for 22 years surrounded by the Talladega National Forest. I love Oklahoma but a part if me still lives on that 207 acres. Shadow1.jpg Shadow.JPG

FreeByrd

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Ohm'gosh!?! The photo of you riding Shadow with your grandbaby is just GORGEOUS!!! I love his muscles and everything about that photo is utter perfection...

I just read every post and I'm all snarfy and teary eyed... I honestly have not had many pets in my life. The only dog we ever had was rehomed when I was nine and she went to The Best Home ever, so while it was hard... it was not heart breaking. Heck, I wanted to go live with the family AND my dog at the time. Actually, still wish that....

I had a bunny named Dune Bunny... and she had a wonderful life and lived until old age (11 years!) and didn't suffer. So I miss her even after 16 years because she was halter trained and just an awesome bun. She is buried at my in-laws as they had a space on a cliff by the river that was perfect, under a tree. And their lives were stable and I knew they'd be there a LONG time. (still are)

A lovebird I rescued (Kiwi) was much loved and I would have kept her happily forever, but she was desperate for a friend and we could not have more than one bird at the time. This bird was the only one loved by my husband. However, we found The Perfect home for her in the country with a family that had two other lovies as well as two sun conures. They had an ENTIRE screened in/windowed aviary room between their house and their garage. It was HUGE. They also had measures in place to prevent doors from being open and the birds flying away. After seeing pics and hearing of the total setup and their way of life... I KNEW Kiwi would be happy there. But I bawled after leaving. Even seeing that she was already accepted by the other two lovies and it was Birdie Heaven on Earth.

A goldfish I had named Peepers was much loved. I know, kinda lame, but he had big eyes and was SO friendly and sweet and came to kiss my finger tip and also hung out at the side of the tank where I'd be. A horrid fish named Plinko ate his eyes and Peepers died.... It was my first traumatic death. I still miss Peepers. It has been 10 years and we still have Plinko. I try not to hold it against him.... but....

Marley and Moxie were both pet store parakeets who I also loved. Especially Marley. Moxie was bought as a companion for her, but she never warmed to me or got at all tame. They both died of natural causes within days of each other. Marley first, then I think Moxie just gave up on life... But they were older and while sad, didn't break my heart....

However. My last two keets I had were still babies... and I had to take a trip to Florida. They were named Levi and Loki. It was only four years or so ago... and while I was gone my husband put down ant bait and they ate it and died. I was horribly traumatized as were my husband and son. It was bad.... and so as a result, my husband never let himself get attached or close to my current two English Budgies, Blimpie and Jeeves. (Currently working on a plan to rehome them due to BFL disease.... so these are it for me ever having birds. And my heart is broken.)

I have no pictures in my computer of Peepers or the rest.... But here are Levi and Loki. I will never get over how they died. Human error sucks. (I still love my husband....) And now I know they are girls... but I loved the names. They could be unisex, right? ;) RIP babies....

Attachments

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
This was a great idea, Mike. And what an adorable and beautiful horse. I've always wanted a horse or pony; they are amazing creatures. So sorry for your loss.

I lost my beautiful Budgie, Bella, several years ago. It hurt like heck. She loved everyone and even the rest of my family, who aren't bird people, enjoyed hanging out with her. I brought her home from the pet store, but she was special. She was bonded with an employee working there and when we first saw her she was hanging out in his pocket. The man said she was looking for a home and he thought we'd be perfect for each other. Unlike most birds from pet stores, she was very much tamed. She loved hanging out with her people. She was also missing a toe, though I'm unsure why. My parents knew how much I loved birds and I guess that's why they let me have her. What makes it hurt so much more, is that her death was completely avoidable. As much as I hate saying it, I'm 100% responsible for her death. I made a mistake involving her food and while I was at school she choked and died! I'll NEVER be able to forgive myself. She loved us so much and I'm the reason she is no longer alive. She depended on me and I failed her. I am tearing up right now because I love and miss her so much. :sad11:

I guess I did as much research as possible after her death and now I'm super paranoid when preparing or buying food for my birds. And whenever someone brings up Bella, I get so ashamed and act like I don't hear them.

I would post pictures of my baby Bella but I was younger at the time and didn't have a phone and it would take a while trying to find one on my parents' phones because they took very few. :(
I am responsible for our darling green cheek Pistachio being taken off of my shoulder by a hawk. I did not see it coming, but I see now that I should not have had him outside at all without a carrier. :( Hindsight, eh? I understand how you feel, but you would not have made that mistake if you had realized it was a mistake at the time. It cannot be your fault if you could not know. All you can do is share her story so that other bird owners can avoid making the same mistake and feeling how you feel. I share Pistachio's story for that reason even though it hurts every time. I hope you do come to understand that none of us is perfect and that you gave Bella an amazing and loved life. You loved her, you still love her. So many birds never have that. :sadhug:

I had a very sweet rat for years, but realized after she passed that we didn't have a single picture of her. It was before cell phones and we only thought to use our camera for special occasions. :shrug2: But she was truly one-of-a-kind and I will never forget her.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
The only dog we ever had was rehomed when I was nine and she went to The Best Home ever, so while it was hard... it was not heart breaking.

A lovebird I rescued (Kiwi) was much loved and I would have kept her happily forever, but she was desperate for a friend and we could not have more than one bird at the time. This bird was the only one loved by my husband. However, we found The Perfect home for her in the country with a family that had two other lovies as well as two sun conures. They had an ENTIRE screened in/windowed aviary room between their house and their garage. It was HUGE. They also had measures in place to prevent doors from being open and the birds flying away. After seeing pics and hearing of the total setup and their way of life... I KNEW Kiwi would be happy there. But I bawled after leaving. Even seeing that she was already accepted by the other two lovies and it was Birdie Heaven on Earth.
I do believe that no matter how much we love someone, sometimes we are only a stepping stone to their forever homes -homes that they would not have found without us. We are blessed to know them and lucky enough to know that they will be loved and cared for where they are going.

A goldfish I had named Peepers was much loved. I know, kinda lame, but he had big eyes and was SO friendly and sweet and came to kiss my finger tip and also hung out at the side of the tank where I'd be. A horrid fish named Plinko ate his eyes and Peepers died.... It was my first traumatic death. I still miss Peepers. It has been 10 years and we still have Plinko. I try not to hold it against him.... but....

However. My last two keets I had were still babies... and I had to take a trip to Florida. They were named Levi and Loki. It was only four years or so ago... and while I was gone my husband put down ant bait and they ate it and died. I was horribly traumatized as were my husband and son. It was bad.... and so as a result, my husband never let himself get attached or close to my current two English Budgies, Blimpie and Jeeves. (Currently working on a plan to rehome them due to BFL disease.... so these are it for me ever having birds. And my heart is broken.)

I have no pictures in my computer of Peepers or the rest.... But here are Levi and Loki. I will never get over how they died. Human error sucks. (I still love my husband....) And now I know they are girls... but I loved the names. They could be unisex, right? ;) RIP babies....
I love goldfish for their personalities. :heart: Most goldfish anyway. There are a few aggressive jerks out there. :cautious: I can easily understand bonding with them. :) Fish don't get enough credit; a lot of people still think of birds the same way. Their loss.

I am sorry to you and your hubby about Levi and Loki. Like my Pistachio where I now know that a human and a dog are not enough to deter a hawk, your husband would not have thought that your baby budgies would have taken an interest in bait; that's probably why he wasn't spraying in the first place. :sadhug2: Just so sad that he never bonded with Blimpie and Jeeves. They could have healed his heart if he could have let them in, but I understand he wasn't ready.

Beautiful pictures of Levi and Loki. :xflove:

Last edited:

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
What a nice thought.
Everyone's lost companions are beautiful. It hurts so much when they go but they add so much to our lives while they are here.
I read a quote a few days ago I wish I could remember specifically, but the gist was "An animal will give you many of the happiest days of your life, and one of the worst."

My boys, Probably the last picture I have of them all together.
Pete (rottweiler colored rott/lab mix) was my loving guardian, a clumsy but gentile giant. Outgoing and kind but he knew when to protect and had a bark like God slamming his car door. When I took this picture he had already been diagnosed with terminal bone cancer and I would make the choice to end his suffering in just two months, he was 5.

Bear (tuxedo rott/lab mix) I called my 'stress ball'... because he was a ball of stress. He had a range of four emotions, sad, anxious, even sadder, and happy. To my credit, he spent most of his life happy. Most things and situations outside his little bubble of home and the woods we would walk made him nervous but he was so kind towards me and always tried to be the best dog. He was kinda terrible at being the best, like call him once he would come but call him twice or "too hard" and he'd try to physically merge with your body, but he always tried so hard. He'd had kidney trouble on and off his whole life, but just before Christmas 2015 they failed. He lived to be just shy of 11 years old before joining his brother.

Shadow (fluffy black Belgian sheepdog mix) was like living with an 80 pound cat in all the best ways. He was independent, calm, stoic, and aloof... and also kind of a diva. The water had to be cold, the food perfect, and when he did want attention it was time for attention NOW. Time for walk NOW. Help me with the thing NOW. And when he's done with me, there he went back to his room or window spot. He was very smart too, too smart and willfully disobedient.
He lived to be 14 before age took it's toll.

Miss you guys.

FreeByrd

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Thanks Karen... :heart:

I love your post. Except for two friends and one sister, NO ONE I know in "real" life understand about birds. Even wild birds. They consider them like vermin... and some are scared. I don't get it. But snake people don't get me either.... lol I can't wrap my head around a snake as a pet... We all are different. I respect those differences... ;)

I feel SO bad for Pistachio and for you!!! That would be horrid. And like you, I'd NEVER have guessed a hawk would come that close. Boggles the mind. You are lucky you weren't hurt yourself...

Yeah, when Dan gets hurt he withdraws and forms a wall around the hurt. He WILL take care of them... but it goes like this convo I heard the other night when he put them to bed for me:

"You. Bird. Step up!"
"You too...."

And that was it!!! :rofl: