• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ouch ouch ouch

Feathered up

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
Pavi has made great strides becoming less afraid of my hands. Today he was stepping into my hand from the top of the iPad without hesitation. He was also taking safflower seeds from my right hand while sitting on my left. I gritted my teeth through his test bites and distracted him with treats when he decided CHEWING my finger off might yield a foot toy he could carry around. Lol. That’s baby bird stuff. Oh look it doesn’t kill me, it’s a toy!

Unfortunately, tonight he decided that the iPad is his and his alone and began attacking my hands at random and without warning. I have a bruised nail to show for his new found confidence:sad2: I was able to turn the situation around and had him stepping onto my hand before bedtime. He tends to get very chewy and grumpy at bedtime, like most youngsters do.

I know that Ringnecks go through a stage where bites are common. I’m not sure what age that typically occurs. So I don’t know if we are getting into that phase or if this is just the typical, “hey, She isn’t going to kill me, let’s see how much I can get away with” stuff.

Either way, with progress comes pain and nothing reminds you of that quite like a biting parrot. Lol

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I hope that things improve.

LesBirdman

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Leslie Wessling
Lucky is going through her second bluffing stage, I say bluffing because she isn't biting in earnest and never has. Sometimes she draws a small amount of blood but it's nothing compared to what I know she can do. She is simply developing a sense of territorialism over her cage, which is her space. This coincides with her first moult so I'm not phased, I take the bites in stride and teach her that cooperating is in both our best interests.

Lucky hates my phone, probably because if my attention isn't focused on her I'm doing something on my phone and there's nothing a parrot hates than being ignored. If I'm on the phone she's cool with that but if I'm looking at and tapping away at my phone she makes it clear she wants attention. Maybe it's the same with your iPad?

Progress is always back and forth, patience is a virtue in life and necessary when your Fid is 3 forever.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
He tends to get very chewy and grumpy at bedtime, like most youngsters do.

l

I still get grumpy sometimes at bedtime! I don't WANNA go to bed LOL!

Pipper

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Andy
You bird is trying to make you give up all the treats immediately and take them from you. As long as you have them in your possession it understands they are yours and is unclear whether it will get all the treats for it's selfish self. So it attacks you to get them all the same way it might another IRN or bird or even animal in the wild.

Don't give up possession of those treats she wants! Don't change your behavior or how you train it. Do put on have leather work gloves or some sort of protective glove that will allow the bird to bite as hard as it wants but be unable to damage the gloves or your hands. Maybe use something similar to thimbles under the gloves (I use a empty foam earplug container on the pinky that I feed the IRN with with a wood carving glove over that hand - the IRN did try and bite the glove and the hard blue plastic bumps on the glove but has stopped since it wasn't effective anymore like that time it absolutely bit my bare pinky when I wasn't wearing gloves when I 1st started trying to tame). Needless to say, don't feed such a bird via your lips like you see some people do. Leave that for it's bonded bird mate that also have hard horny beaks.