• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Otto's story

birdbrain9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Donna
I don't know how old Otto is. I don't know if he was born blind or it happened later in life. I don't know if Otto was ever loved. There is much I don't know about him. But what I do know will break your heart. Otto was rescued from a hoarding situation. He had been passed around for years, living in as many as 9 or 10 different places. When rescued, he was frightened, emaciated and almost totally plucked. It wasn't even known that he was blind. The rescuer stated to me, "I didn't know anything about birds but I knew that I had to remove this one from that horrible situation or he was going to die." Otto was lucky that day; he was rescued by a veterinary student who made it her mission to nurse him back to health. And she did for 3 years. Unfortunately, unable to keep him at home, Otto lived at the veterinary clinic; spending much of these three years alone without contact from people or ever meeting another bird.
At some point the staff at the clinic said Otto had to go. This is when I first met him.
There were some beautiful birds at the meeting of the rescue organization I belong to. Healthy, fully feathered, sociable birds all needing a home. And then there was Otto. A blind, scrawny, plucked Sulfur Crest Cockatoo that was so easily overlooked among the other birds. But when I picked him up and he pressed his trembling, little body against my chest there was no question. I just knew he was meant for me. Two days later I brought him home.
It is easy to forget Otto can't see. Here he was, in a home he was unfamiliar with; so many new birds he had never met before; and a person he didn't know if he could trust. But Otto surprises me daily. Nothing slows him down. He explores his environment at every opportunity, climbing up drapes, crawling under furniture, even following the sound of my voice into whatever room I happen to be in. I also take him with me everywhere, always exposing him to environments he is unfamiliar with and he seems to love it and the attention he always draws.
People say to me how wonderful it is that I took on the task of caring for a special needs bird but just the opposite is true. How blessed I am to have this little fid in my life. Every day I watch him learn something new and often forget myself that he cannot see. He shows me everyday that a handicap does not have to limit life's experiences. This is Otto's gift to me. And I will spend the rest of my life showing him how grateful I am to have him in it.

Lovebird Lady

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
Such a touching story, Donna. You and Otto were meant to be together. It is a miracle that he survived as many years as he did in dire neglect just so that you could find him years later and the two of you connected spiritually. I wish you and Otto many many many happy and healthy years together. You both deserve each other. I just love your situation :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart: If only more fids could be so lucky.

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
So happy Otto found his home. :heart:

Daisy_G2

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
This is great that Otto finally found a forever home! Please keep us posted on his progress!

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
Beautiful story. :hug8:You are both lucky to have found each other. Now we need to see pictures of your little angel:D

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
It was meant to be. I, too, would love to see a photo or two of Otto. How long have you 2 been together?:heart:

Teasha

Such a beautiful story! :heart:

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Awwwwww....... :heart::heart::heart: Otto :heart::heart::heart:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
:heart: love the story

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
:heart::heart::heart:

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
I can see why no one knew he is blind. He looks so alert. He also looks like quite the character. Thank you for giving him a chance to enjoy life!:heart:

Vegemite

Real Name
Lynne
Tears, tears and more tears. Tears at the sad start to Otto's earlier life then floods of tears when he met you. That story is truly beautiful. We all need to be reminded that true beauty is the heart and soul, not the exterior. So very happy for you but more so for Otto, that he has found his home where he will loved and treasured for who he, not what he is. I bet he will reward you with many, many years of happiness, love and wonderment. Congrats

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thank you for caring for him. :hug8:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I love stories like this. I'd say Otto and you were destined to be together, though it's sad it took so long for it too happen, and sad that Otto took the hard road to you.

He's a beautiful bird, and I'm happy you found each other. Live long and happy Otto. I do believe you're finally home.

FidFlock

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nikki
As much as these stories break my heart, I love reading them. I just adore Otto's story :heart: Thank you for taking care of him, I couldn't think of a better birdie momma.