• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Other species of Starlings - personality?

Sky

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I love European starlings and would love to get one later this year if I can. I don't see much info for other species of starlings though and was wondering what they're like for future reference, if anyone on here knows? For instance: purple glossy, splendid glossy, superb, etc.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Ck with a bird store to see if there is a book or someplace to get the info you need :cool:

Sky

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Well right now I'm mainly just looking to see if they have the same companion type potential as Europeans. I still plan on getting Euros first and I wouldn't rule out a glossy etc even if they don't have the same companion potential - they don't have to be companion birds - but I'm still curious. But I can't find much info anywhere on their personality. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, I'm not sure. Some places say they might get tame enough to eat from your hand while other places act like they get pretty tame or that they would be really tame if hand-raised, which is what I assumed. But still no real info on personality beyond that.

Sky

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
That's the thing, there seems to be lots of info out there about Europeans as pets (as in, companion potential, personality, etc, rather than just care info) but not much about any other species of starlings as pets. Which is weird because it's not like glossys and superbs are rare or anything, I've seen them for sale many times. They just aren't as popular of companions as the Euros, I guess :unsure1:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Where I'm at, I don't see starlings for sale at all! I might see a european starling for rehoming, but it's a bird that was found as a chick outside and raised as a pet bird. You may find more info on mynahs though, a cousin to the starlings.

Sky

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Oh yeah I don't see any for sale locally, I'd have to have them shipped. I think there are some breeders here in Florida though.

I love mynahs too! :heart: I was actually interested in them first. I won't be getting a mynah in the near future but they're definitely in my future!

Inky

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sarah Tidwell
Your best bet for getting a starling is to be on the lookout for some one with a found nestling. Call in to vet clinics and animal shelters, or drop by with pictures and contact info. Wildlife rehabs will not take them, and so usually when people find them they have nowhere to go.

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
Hi. Have you been to the starling talk forum? While I don't think I've seen other types of starlings talked about, there are lots of starling enthusiasts there that might have some info.

LovieLuvr

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christina
Your best bet for getting a starling is to be on the lookout for some one with a found nestling. Call in to vet clinics and animal shelters, or drop by with pictures and contact info. Wildlife rehabs will not take them, and so usually when people find them they have nowhere to go.
I agree with @Inky The best way to find a starling is during the breeding season for nestlings from vet clinics and animal shelters. I worked (and now volunteer) for a local wildlife bird clinic and they receive starlings quite often. The only thing is that since they are an invasive species, the nestlings are EOA (euthanized on arrival) since they cannot be released. Alot of the people who work at the clinic have adopted a healthy starling nestling, but they are not available to the public. Starlings are not protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, but I would make sure that you check with you local state permitting offices to ensure that the bird cannot be taken away from you since in some states starlings are considered "wildlife." I've heard of a few incidences where the State Game Commission have required owners to turn over their starling and sadly the owners were not able to gain repossession of their fid. :(

One of my friends from the wild bird clinic has had her starling for 5 years and he's adorable. Her little guy is so smart and even speaks German! :laugh:

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
Yes! I had mine taken away from me by the PAGC. He was disabled and not releasable but it still didn't matter. We now live in WV where starlings are legal to own as pets. As far as I know, Kansas, PA, Kentucky, WA, (shoot there's another one that I can't remember now what it is...). And Ohio now makes you have a paper saying that you did not obtain the starling from the wild.

My starling that was taken is now living a very pampered life in Tennessee being an ambassador for a wildlife sanctuary called Walden's Puddle. He lived because I went to court to fight for him back. That's the only thing that saved him. Other people aren't as lucky.

LovieLuvr

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christina
Yes! I had mine taken away from me by the PAGC. He was disabled and not releasable but it still didn't matter. We now live in WV where starlings are legal to own as pets. As far as I know, Kansas, PA, Kentucky, WA, (shoot there's another one that I can't remember now what it is...). And Ohio now makes you have a paper saying that you did not obtain the starling from the wild.

My starling that was taken is now living a very pampered life in Tennessee being an ambassador for a wildlife sanctuary called Walden's Puddle. He lived because I went to court to fight for him back. That's the only thing that saved him. Other people aren't as lucky.
Wow! I'm sorry to hear about your experience, but I'm glad to hear about the positive outcome. Good for you for fighting for him! :giveme5:

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
Thanks. He was my baby, I was devastated when they took him. :(

RachaelR

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Rachael Rawlings
That is crazy, and so sad. So in some states, starlings are not allowed at all? I live in Kentucky, so I was wondering...

Inky

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sarah Tidwell
I live in KY where is is technically illegal...but we have dumb laws here. One law exists that says it IS legal, and another slightly higher-up law exists that says it isn't legal. I called the Fish and Wildlife offices directly and explained I'd raised a starling that I wasn't planning on releasing. The officers I spoke to were very helpful, and said unless I had a neighbor who took issue with my starling, I didn't real have anything to worry about, they were not going to come knocking to take him away, and that they would prefer he *wasn't* released. In fact, because he is let out of his cage on a daily basis, technically he could "leave if he wanted to" and he is simply choosing to hang around ;)

hellen

Strolling the yard
Real Name
hellen
i live in england, are we talking about the same starlings as over here. if so, i had the good fortune of hand rearing two (at seperate times) and i found them delightful and intelligent. its very important they live with others, pref their own kind

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew