• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Oshi's The First!

Melli

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melli
I leave the Cheery O's cage open whenever I am home and the cat is outside (which is almost always). No one has ever come OUT to play on their own... I have to being them out and that seems to scare them, so I gave it up! TODAY Oshi came OUT of the cage of his own accord! Not sure if it was an accident or on purpose! :glowlol: I immediately hung the ladder outside the cage and waited patiently to see if he would find his way back in. He DID!!! I HOPE this is the start of something BIG!:dance3: Way to GO Oshi!!! AC851505-9616-4E1C-947F-8D3DC0198124.jpeg BC8C3742-E6EE-4458-92E1-CEF52C07EC95.jpeg 345665BE-C47C-43D0-B8D0-C0CAC75A4AA9.jpeg 1A961AA7-BD23-4789-9422-7B5B53D6B3F4.jpeg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
That´s a great step :)

Maybe you could add some long rope perches on the exterior of the cage near the doorway to lead them out and back in again ❤

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Oshi is beautiful! And so brave too!!!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Way to go, Oshi! :thumbsup:

Budgies are naturally curious..and once one begins to explore, in no time you'll have them all out...looking around and exploring their world...:)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Good job Oshi.

Melli

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melli
That´s a great step :)

Maybe you could add some long rope perches on the exterior of the cage near the doorway to lead them out and back in again ❤
THAT is a GREAT idea! A little while later Oops! came out... I had to move the gym down there before he found his way back! But he ran around on the floor for awhile and then climbed ALL OVER the outside of the cage! The others did NOT like him being out there and kept biting at his feet to move him along!!! But he was FEELIN' his freedom... and lovin' it! 5441CDCF-0C54-4F9D-B75B-634643FCC9F9.jpeg 49545FD5-9EFA-4628-88BF-22762F302FB1.jpeg 02155D2A-1291-4D52-8D68-A732BAEE4E68.jpeg

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
THAT is a GREAT idea! A little while later Oops! came out... I had to move the gym down there before he found his way back! But he ran around on the floor for awhile and then climbed ALL OVER the outside of the cage! The others did NOT like him being out there and kept biting at his feet to move him along!!! But he was FEELIN' his freedom... and lovin' it! View attachment 316438 View attachment 316439 View attachment 316440
..we call that going on "Toe Patrol" here...our budgies do not like other birds to land on their cage...so they chase the others off the cage top by biting-or attempting to bite their feet! I guess the top of their cage and the air space above that belong to them also...:budgie2: :budgie6:

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Oshi and Oops, love the names!! Yes some natural wood perches along with some rope perches outside of the cage can prevent the toe nibbling from the others..lol. The fact that they are exploring the floor means they have found their confidence. Great job!!!

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
:yah: Oshi and Oops!! Such bravery :starshower:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Budgies are smart little birds. Climbing ladders seems to be fairly easy for them. I also hung a nice, long boing on the outside of the cage which was used as a place to roost and or get back and forth into and out of the cage.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
They are so cute! I can't remember - did you decide to let their wings grow out again so they can be flighted? Always scared me when Fergus first came when he would be on the floor. After his wings grew back, he hasn't been on the floor since.

Melli

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melli
@Fergus Mom
Oh yes! Their wings will not get clipped again! I'm already regretting having clipped them at all ... but I didn't know how else to get them to "work with me" to form a trust... and to be allowed out while learning to return to "home base". This seems to be working pretty well, so I don't think there will be anymore need for wing clipping! I hope they grow back soon! I WANT them to have free flight!

Melli

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melli
I also hung a nice, long boing on the outside of the cage which was used as a place to roost and or get back and forth into and out of the cage.
:pinklol2: WHAT is a BOING???:pinklol3:

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Oh yes! Their wings will not get clipped again! I'm already regretting having clipped them at all ... but I didn't know how else to get them to "work with me" to form a trust... and to be allowed out while learning to return to "home base". This seems to be working pretty well, so I don't think there will be anymore need for wing clipping! I hope they grow back soon! I WANT them to have free flight!

I know - I'm always saying 'we don't know what we know until we know it'... and as someone (sorry, can't remember who here) says - when we know better, we can do better! ;)

And.... THIS is a boing... (I didn't know what it was til our wonderful forum folks here...)!

Attachments

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Ok... I just had time to look at these photos you posted again. You already have the idea - putting something from the floor to the cage so they can climb UP, and IN!
But how is this part in the pic (the perch) connected to that ladder, is what I am wondering?

Attachments

Melli

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melli
But how is this part in the pic (the perch) connected to that ladder, is what I am wondering?
Haha! It's NOT! That's just their li'l gym I had put down on the floor. They have to go down to the floor to climb up the ladder... OR... as they learned today they can jump from the gym to the ladder! But Ilso got a new BIGGER ladder (taller) last night, so now it's just one ladder that goes all the way to the floor. Oshi is BRILLIANT! He figures everything out! Opal was a little behind the 8-ball today! But her wings got LOTS of exercise cuz she kept trying to JUMP/Fly beck up (about 38") to the cage opening! I finally had to PUT her on the ladder and send her on her way! Everyone was settling in fo an afternoon nap - and she definitely NEEDED hers!

Kenzie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
Way to explore!!!! Go little birdie!