• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Organic Apple Wood Preparation

HowlsOfAngels

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
I just learned that, due to a burn ban, my local organic apple orchard is giving away branches, stumps, and sticks. What might I need to do to prepare these and turn them into perches/toys? Do they have to be soaked, baked, and peeled or can I just drill them, attach hardware, and hang them up?

If anyone here might be interested, once I become more comfortable and knowledgeable with the process, I may look into selling them.

HowlsOfAngels

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
Out of curiosity, I made a few calls and found that the local peach orchard is also giving away branches in a similar fashion. Is there any reason the branches couldn't be used? The only info on toxicity I can find is in regards to the stones within the fruit, the leaves, and stems. Nothing about the bark or flesh of the tree.

And, due to my location, pecan trees are plentiful and I found two potential sources for pecan branches as well. How in gods name to you remove the bark? Do I just hack at it with a hatchet until it's smooth? Does it come off easier after soaking?

Erikalynnha

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
I think peach wood is unsafe to use for birds. I see is in a lot of unsafe wood lists for birds but it doesn't say what parts.

I do like Apple wood it has a nice smell! If you bake/ clean it good enough you can leave the bark on. I know my fids like chewing bark off themselves.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
If it's organic, it's probably chemical free. But otherwise, orchard trees can be treated with all kinds of pesticides, fungicides, and antibiotics.
I'm not sure but I think most pit fruits like cherries and peaches aren't good. Apple is fine.

For smaller branches (smooth barked), I just rinse them well and that's it. Some people prefer to disinfect stuff, but my birds get raw veggies, and I don't see a branch being much different. The green bark actually has some nutritional value.
Larger, older branches with rougher bark are a little harder to clean well, and then baking is good. It's more to kill any insects or eggs in there than for bird safety, though.