• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Oreo

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
What do you want to know about it?

Newbird17

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kerry
Is it hatching or a DIS if so do I remove it

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you candle it, do you see red blood vessels around the air cell? How long past due is it?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I always give eggs a few extra days beyond the estimated hatching date.

Newbird17

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kerry
Thank you @Birdbabe i have to be so careful to candle them as mum and dad aren't that tame and I don't want them to abandon him/her also @iamwhoiam I'm not sure of the hatching dates I am guessing Oreo is 7 days he might be 8

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mom & dad seem to be doing a good job taking care of him. Sometimes people will carefully number eggs so they know the order in which they were laid and then record the dates. Have you candled the other eggs?

Newbird17

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kerry
@iamwhoiam not yet to tell you the truth I am a bit wary to do so as I also have canaries and when I candled their eggs she seemed to abandon them it turns out they were infertile any way

Newbird17

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kerry
I manage to hold him today only for a few minutes to get him used to hands and being held he is plump and really cute my birds are doing really well in looking after him

Attachments

Newbird17

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kerry
I think he is 13/14 days old I might pull him and hand rear him what do you guys think

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If mom & dad are doing a good job of feeding him then just let them feed him. No reason for you to pull him. Continue to handle him a bit every day as long as it doesn't "bug" mom & dad. Do you think pulling him and feeding him will make him more tame? From my experience raising red-bellied parrots I didn't find that to be true.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you are able to handle him for a few minutes a couple times a day and mom and dad are taking good care of him, I see no reason to hand-feed. Cockatiels can easily become just as tame as hand-feds if they are given a few minutes of cuddle time as they grow up. You can give him more and more cuddle time as he gets more feathers. Just watch the parents and proceed based on their comfort level.

Newbird17

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kerry
I want to give him cuddles and get him used to me but is it possible that no matter how used to me he gets he will copy his parents reaction to me as they are not tame at all

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I want to give him cuddles and get him used to me but is it possible that no matter how used to me he gets he will copy his parents reaction to me as they are not tame at all
How do you define not tame? Major panic attack flopping around in the cage messing up their feathers and randomly bumping into stuff if you try to put your hand in the cage? Or do they just not want to be touched with some minor hissing and generally trying to keep their distance?

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@melissasparrots they are all of the above
Well, if they are flopping around trying to get away when you approach, then you do have to worry about the chick picking up on that. Since he's a single baby, I'd still be inclined to let the parents raise him. If it were me, I'd probably focus on trying to get as much socialization in as possible before he fledges. If the parents are willing to accept him back in the nest after a couple of 5 minute snuggle sessions a day, try extending it to a couple of 10 and then 15 minute snuggles. Once he fledges, he will be more prone to pick up on his parent's anxiety. However, cockatiels are really quite good at maintaining tameness compared to other species. The problem with trying to hand feed a single chick is that you'll be checking temperature a lot more often because he won't have a cuddle buddy and generally its better for them if they have another bird to snuggle up with. That goes double if you haven't already hand-fed a whole bunch of babies before. If you aren't super experienced, I'd leave him with his parents. I just see a lot of stunted and sad looking baby cockatiels around with poor feather quality because someone thought they needed to hand-raise and didn't know how to do it to maximize growth. There is more to it than just reading some books and following an internet expert's advice. When you boil it down to the bare minimum of what is in the best interest of the chick, if you can maintain even a shred of tameness, I'd leave him parent raised. Once he's weaned, you can work with him even more. For that matter, once he fledges, if you've already worked with him on step up and perching on a hand, it may be as simple as reaching in, having him step up and then you can take him away from the cage for a few minutes of fly around and socialization time.