• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ordering a long cage for parakeets

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I received a quote from Corners Limited for a 7 foot x 27" long custom cage of $1650 for three parakeets. This was more than I was expecting.

The cage would be on wheels and elevated above the ground. They're current cage is 5 foot x 20". Any thoughts on whether this would be much of an improvement? Would a 7 foot long cage be difficult to move if I need to move it to another room?

Thanks!
Current cage:
IMG_3719.JPG
IMG_3687.JPG
IMG_3740.JPG

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Not sure what your room sizes are...moving around corners would be interesting in my house. I'd be hard pressed to spend the money on that if it wasn't stainless...

Overview of Hybrid Cage Materials

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@webchirp

Thank you! I felt the same when I received the price! I was not expecting it to be so high. I am not sure the extra two feet will be much of an improvement for them at that price. I do have a brand new EH stainless steel empty cage that is waiting for the indoor aviary to be completed for Fiinn, my tiny male gcc. He is in an xtra large preview F050 cage. I wonder if I should give the parakeets the EH cage when the aviary is completed and give Finn the double flt. Cage? The EH cage is 4 ft x 30". It would buy them an extra 1.65 sq. Feet.

LOL It is sitting in my den for the next few mos. because it is too wide to fit through the old narrow doorways of my house!
IMG_3080.JPG

IMG_3079.JPG

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It looks like the EH cage has thicker and possibly stronger bars and so I would go with your original plan of giving Finn that cage. I also notice that the cage the budgies are in now has lift up doors. I wouldn't put Finn in a cage with those types of doors.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I think all your babies are blessed no matter what choice you make :heart:

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks! @iamwhoiam The flight cage has doors that swing open. Maybe I'll look at just adding a second flight cage to the current one. Or maybe there will be a way to build an easily removable aviary in the bird room? @webchirp Thanks! I wish I had your cage making skills!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks! @iamwhoiam The flight cage has doors that swing open. Maybe I'll look at just adding a second flight cage to the current one. Or maybe there will be a way to build an easily removable aviary in the bird room? @webchirp Thanks! I wish I had your cage making skills!

The feeder doors are the ones that look like they lift up. BTW, how is Sky doing? He looks good.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@iamwhoiam. This is an old pic but Sky is all better. He is back with his old buddies and seems very happy. Thank you for asking!

Oh right...I had forgotten about those little doors. That is a good point!

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
If only I knew how to weld stainless steel!