• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Order from such and such store

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
That is part of what the Marketplace is about, but if there is enough requests we could consider having a separate testimonials area. We would not want to discourage anyone from giving positive testimonials about the vendors they enjoy shopping with.

Just as someone else already mentioned, I also thought that Marketplace was more for vendors, to advertise themselves, to let us know about their specials, new products, or anything they want to share with us regarding their store.

I have noticed that this thread (or my orig. post?) has a lot of Likes, so maybe there is a need to create a subforum where we can share our opinions about shopping experience in different stores, thank them, recommend them to us or not.

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I think it tends to "clog" the main Marketplace section. A sub-forum would help clean up the main Marketplace section a bit.
That's exactly how I feel too, Merlie.

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
I vote for a 'reviews' section as well. Sometimes I specifically search for reviews, and it's extra work having to go through pages of marketplace and filtering through other stuff.

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I appreciate the reviews. More than once I have been able to ask a question I had about a certain product because there was a thread review about it. I am a big review reader off the board whenever I am looking at something I want to purchase. 99% of the time I first research any product I want to buy. :)
I also like to read a review of a product I am not familiar with before I buy it. But many of such posts show a 'pile' of products and there is no specific review, rather an overview of the entire order.
How can there be a review if the items were just received, box was just opened, and products not tested for at least a few days.

I'd love to see true reviews of bird items. One bird forum I belong to has a subforum for toys/accessories/cages reviews. There is a name of a product in the title of a thread, a photo of it in the post and a review, which is often followed by members' replies, their own opinions about a given product. That's what I find helpful. One can easily scan the titles and weed out those threads that are of no interest.
It is quite difficult to do the same if I see "Look what I bought...." :(

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
The Marketplace is for sharing what we bought. If you dont want to read the threads, skip over them. What would The Marketplace be for if it wasnt for people to share their experiences?
See, it must be my misunderstanding because I thought it was a place for stores to advertise themselves.
I enjoy looking at different bird products but if the title of a thread is not specific enough, it is difficult to decide which threads I want to read.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Bragging? I've never seen anyone brag! Anyone who dislike said posts need to avoid those threads that make you envious. Or live with it and don't complain. I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE when members post the goodies they buy for their birds. I love seeing pictures of spoiled well cared for and loved birds. It doesn't mean they're bragging when they share. I'm definitely not rich and also get a bit green with envy when I see members buy certain items and I can't and I LOVE that feeling. It makes me feel motivated and gives me ideas to DO BETTER.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG

See, it must be my misunderstanding because I thought it was a place for stores to advertise themselves.
I enjoy looking at different bird products but if the title of a thread is not specific enough, it is difficult to decide which threads I want to read.

the Marketplace is both an area for members to post about the things they have purchased, tried, even things they are looking for as well as a place for vendors to post their products/sales/store information

you can also use the board's search function if you are looking for an item and it will pull up relevant threads - that may be an option for you not to have to look through the forums for your information

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris

Just as someone else already mentioned, I also thought that Marketplace was more for vendors, to advertise themselves, to let us know about their specials, new products, or anything they want to share with us regarding their store.

I have noticed that this thread (or my orig. post?) has a lot of Likes, so maybe there is a need to create a subforum where we can share our opinions about shopping experience in different stores, thank them, recommend them to us or not.

If you look at the guidelines and rules for the marketplace it states this
The intent of this section is for Roadies to share their favorite places to shop as well as for our members that are also vendors that are participating members to share specials offered at their stores.
what better way to share your favorite place to shop than to post pics of what you bought

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
What's wrong with sharing pictures/reviews of products we buy? There are online review sites for so many things, why not for bird toys on a bird forum?
That's my point! There is nothing wrong with the review of a product, showing a pic of it and even better when your bird is using it or playing with it. I enjoy such posts and often find them helpful even if for example Lotus' SS cage :innocent: was way out of my spending range :faint: .

Posts of two members come to my mind (and I trully appologize that I am only mentioning the two because there are more). Lotus and LemonGrass, yes, you two often share beautiful photos of your birds demonstrating a newly purchased item. (Charles, Sabrina, Lola, and Joo, Zanie, Tookie - yay, I remember all names! How cool is that for a woman of a certain age as French would say.)

Because of Lotus' photo with super adorable Charles sitting on a Soapbox perch, my birds have the Soapbox too now.
Because of LemonGrass' photos, I can often decide if a particular item will be OK size-wise for my little birds, who are much smaller than her precious tiels. (BTW, LemonGrass, shouldn't you be studying instead of snooping through the Marketplace? :p )

Last edited:

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Sometimes I think about how much money they spend but I never feel bitter about it, I just think "wow, those birds are so lucky!"
Just because birds get lots of toys or expensive accessories, it does not necessary mean they are happy. Sometimes or often times a simpler life is a happier one. Less is more.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
You will only feel jealous/bitter/etc. if you let yourself.

Avoid threads that bother you or try looking at them in a different way.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I find it interesting how we think about sub-forums. They don't make more threads to read. Members will still write the same amount of threads. Sub-forums just help organize them into one place so they are easier to find. It makes me giggle because it reminds me of my clothes closet. Before I organized it I didn't have nearly enough socks and the few I had I could never find. Once I had a specific place to put them I said, "Wow, I have A LOT OF SOCKS"! People set up their closets according to their personalities. It helps make them feel a certain way and helps their day move forward. Some find it soothing and brings a smile to their face to have everything neat and in it's place right at their fingertips while others like to rifle through their closets and dressers grabbing things as they go finding it fun and exciting. Both ways are fine and acceptable. Think of AA as your Roadie Closet and we as your cleaning crew. Sometimes reorganizing is good, other times it's better to leave things as they are. So we were just asking....because we were curious where you wanted to put your socks.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
That is too funny Marie. My sister and I have a family joke about socks.:D
I think this is getting to the point of nitpicking... what's next? We will be chastised because we share getting a new cage, a new bird,going on a vacation, getting a new camera, etc...etc..etc.?:confused:

chompie_puppy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
The only reason I've been willing to spend my VERY hard-earned money on vendors in the US and Canada (shipping to Australia can be expensive!) is because of those lovely threads showing off all the fantastic goodies members have bought for their birds.

I really LOVE :loveshower: seeing photos of all the items people have bought. Even when there's no photo of the birds actually playing with these items. It still made me feel confident and secure enough to spend my money at these vendors because it really showcases the lovely amount of items available.

Had it not been for these threads then I would never have even bothered to look at toy vendors overseas.

FreeByrd

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Had it not been for the showing threads........ I would have never ever ever ordered online. Especially as some of the sites have photos of their items where it is hard to determine if they would work with my bird or that seriously do NOT show the item in its best light.

Size matters to me as I have a little bird..... and even the threads where people post pics of everything lying next to one another is helpful to me as if I know the size of a particular item, I can then judge the size of something else I was interested in.

And then........... What I've found ESPECIALLY helpful and what I would NOT have understood had it not been for the posts and then the subsequent comments underneath....... is that certain AA vendors will make items specially sized for your smaller bird!!!! Looking at their websites, that is NOT obvious!!! But because someone ordered a HUGE item in a tiel size......... I now know that when I have the money I can order similarly from that same vendor for my itty bitty birdie.

That vendor is in CANADA. Had I not known that they were willing to specialize items, I would likely have never considered ordering from them........ because the few things I knew would work for Marley just wouldn't justify the shipping. But I now have over $200 in Wish List items from that one store that I will save up and buy in the future.

Key words there: SAVE UP. Because I am one of the people who scrimp by and live paycheck to paycheck! However, even though I can't afford to spend and buy for my one little budgie like a lot of people who shop and post on here............ I would never judge those who post as "showing off." And I wouldn't say I am jealous... because if I compare my entire life to others I will usually find it lacking. (unless I compare world wide... then I realize how GOOD I actually DO have life!!!):dance5: I'm more.......... wishful. :rolleyes: And I dream of one day being able to afford the more expensive items. So when I see something I like..... I go into my folders on my computer and add it to the relevant list.

Someone will always have more money. There will always be someone who has a stellar bird room that is bright and full of happy colors and furniture that looks custom made and birds that pose and take photos like they are professional models....... I have one bird room in particular I'm thinking about, :rolleyes: but instead of being jealous, I am HAPPY for that person and especially for her birds!!! I think it is swell that life is so good for them. :fly2:

And now I'm rambling..... I guess what I'm trying to say is that it is all in how you look at things. I tend to put people in their best light. And so for me, sharing photos of "hauls" in the marketplace is just a way of spreading joy. Joy that can't always be shared with ones' family and friends. :shrug:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I certainly don’t think anyone brags. I greatly enjoy seeings thread like this because I feel happy for the owner and birdies who get to enjoy such wonderful toys. I have ordered from many new online vendors thanks to these types of threads.Nala has quite a few toys and things and I'm certainly not rich,I make less then$9 an hour. The only reason I can afford these nice things for her,is because all my money goes to her and Penny. I only buy myself the occasional book or DVD. Other wise I just save up until I can make a large order that will last her a long time. I for one would be very sad if people didn't post their goodies anymore. I get so much pleasure out of seeing happy birdies enjoying their new toys.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm one of those who's lives on a fixed income.I like seeing what others buy for their birds.It gives me ideas what to save for.I also do alot of DIY for my birds.Think about it in a different way....it gives you alot of ideas what you can save or do yourself.:)

jerseybella

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
dawn
These type of threads with all the goodies are my favorite! I also don't think it is bragging in anyway. I get ideas for what I may want in the future.:)

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I will not lie about the last 5-6 posts I didn't read. My back hurts and I need to go get back on the heating pad.

But onto my point about this...

If we are calling this "bragging" due to it making people feel bad because they can't afford it than I demand that anyone with a goffin or any type of smaller macaw can no longer post about their birds because I get SO jealous and can't afford to outright buy one.

See my point? I don't find it bragging just more sharing a experience with people that actually care. If I try to share the experience with my mother for instance she would ask if she needs to take me to a hospital or something since I bumped my head. We talk about our birds all the time about silly things they do, by the definition everyone is giving these posts in the marketplace am I wrong to say that they are not bragging as well? Like na na na na look what my bird can do! I simply don't take any post as showing off or bragging. I consider it sharing the experience. I think the sub forums are confusing. Outside me going to just the "what's new" the only two forums I really go into are the photos/videos, bird chat (occasionally), and the marketplace never any subforums in them. There are just too many different forums already IMO to keep up with. I mean kind of going with the sock photo would you put your socks in separate drawers by color or just have a "sock" drawer?

Status
Not open for further replies.