• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Order from such and such store

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
I think too many subforums can get confusing. The "look what I bought" threads don't bother me in the least. However, I do not think they should be in their own forum. :)

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I enjoy seeing what people have bought - I have found several neat things this way and I enjoy sharing in the excitement of new purchases and goodies :pinkgrin:

I also feel that if you do not want to see these type of threads, it is easy not to click on them or view them :shrug:

not fond of a separate sub-forum - it is often overlooked ;)

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
I think the Marketplace is a unique area and it gives indepth and valuable info for both customers and vendors. I do not think having another sub-forum would be needed. As for myself being a vendor on here, I do like hearing if a customer is happy or not and how they liked their purchase. Like on my site, each product has where it can have a review on it but people tend to not use it all that much.

Yes, I can certainly understand jealousy because a person can not afford what the other person can but you can get that in anything. I watch HGTV, like "House Hunters" and some of those houses are huge and wayyyy out of my league but I still watch it because it is good to know what you could have if only you could afford it plus it is neat to see what is out there in this world of materialistic items. I do not look down upon those who can afford such stuff.

The AA Marketplace is one of its kind where a forum is concerned and there is no other bird forum on the web that has or lets vendors be able to do what we do and have it free to us .... so really we can not "afford" to mess it up!! LOL!

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
I enjoy those threads. Not just because the excitement is infectious, but because a lot of times they'll post pictures of things they've got from vendors that I've been curious about. Sometimes when you look at a picture with no background you odn't get a good idea on sizes. Or you aren't sure exactly what something will look like vs a picture. So seeing people who've bought them gives me a clear idea of what I might want to get. Not only that, but it does show our appreciation for our vendors. They don't do Quality call checks or have a customer relation department. They might not have a lot of advertising. Letting them know we love them is important, at least to me.

Jally

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
Pat, I don't open those threads. And, no. That isn't "just" my perspective. The whole family says the same thing, he brags. Sure, he may be proud, but he didn't earn anything, least of all our respect. I don't have a judgemental bone in my body :( I think a email or pm, thanking the vendor is very nice personal touch. Just my opinion.

GlassOnion

What's wrong with sharing pictures/reviews of products we buy? There are online review sites for so many things, why not for bird toys on a bird forum?

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I do not think people do it to show off or brag...it's all about the fun and excitement! I know for me, it is soooo fun getting a box of toys, etc. and I want to share my excitement with fellow bird people who GET it! Sure I show my fiance, but do my friends care? No. I want to share my excitement with people who have common interests.

As others said, just skip the threads if they bother you.

crystaljam

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Crystal
As a vendor, I love seeing reviews (and certain peeps take such beautiful photos!) both our our own toys, but other vendors as well.

It's nice to be appreciated, because, as a vendor the business takes so much away from my own family and personal life at times that it makes it all feel worthwhile.

I know the same happens via an email, but to take the time to post on a public forum to share your (the customer's) point of view and enthusiasm for their new goods, really does help others figure out what might work best for their own parrots.

I, myself, introduced the Wingdow to our home after seeing a few customer reviews/bravos in the Marketplace; and after so many great reviews about OG (and seeing Susan's products IRL at a fellow AA's), am looking forward to our new goods. Had it not been for reviews from real people, these items may not have come into our home.

And everytime people post TNT's knotted up toys (crazy knots!), I'm sure people appreciate the work that goes into the toys even more so than the pictures on her actual site.

I love seeing what people have purchased - it lets us make lists, and even daydream a little bit.

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I do not think people do it to show off or brag...it's all about the fun and excitement! I know for me, it is soooo fun getting a box of toys, etc. and I want to share my excitement with fellow bird people who GET it! Sure I show my fiance, but do my friends care? No. I want to share my excitement with people who have common interests.

As others said, just skip the threads if they bother you.
I agree with Kacy! My friends (who are NOT bird people) would not get it - so I do not even bother to mention to them if I got something bird related that I really liked and the fids liked.

And I wish I could afford to spend more on the fids but I do want to have money available for vet care. I try to plan toy purchases carefully before I just order something. So I ask questions here! Just like the atom I want to order... small? medium? color? type of rope?

And I will admit - sometimes - I feel when I see something - "WOW, I wish ..." Remember the pic of that stainless steel cage that the owner bought for his/her tiels that Kathie recently posted ? that was in front of that gorgeous window! OK - I suppose - I really could spend that money on such a cage but I certainly could not afford the house that I imagine that cage was in! So I hope my birds are happy in their A&E flight cages! With their great toys and perches purchased from vendors here. :)

FreeByrd

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
I'm too tired to think about how to "frame" what I'm wanting to say without maybe messing up ..... so right now I'll just say that there are two sections on this forum that I reserve going to until last: The Marketplace and Toys and Cages. If I only have a small snippet of time......... I just go there. They are my DREAM SPACES.

I vote leave things as they are.

Jocund^eternal

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I love sharing excitement with friends; it’s not as great if no one else feels it with you. However, all of my friends aren’t as bird crazy as I am. Today I received my long-awaited package from MSBS, but the friend I was talking to on the phone was not impressed (she’s a cat person, you see). However, I love the fact that I can share the happiness on Avian Avenue. I’ve never posted about my purchases yet, but I’ve seen countless other threads on their cache, and I love it. It’s immensely enjoyable to scroll through the many pictures, descriptions, and the little stories that come with every package. I’ve never once thought of it as bragging, but more of me being nosy! In all seriousness, they’ve all helped me what to buy, since I have to be careful with my spending or receive a rather nasty glare from my parents. I don’t mind another subforum since I look through new posts most of the time. I can see how it would help with organization though.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I would have never thought of it as bragging. For one, it is not the vendors saying, look what so-and-so bought from me! We are excited to provide new things for our beloved birds and want to share it with other people that might actually care (unlike some family & most friends). I don't know how many times at lunch time I go for a walk & can't help but go in the pet store just to see what I might be able to get them that they might like. We want them to be happy. It's like having kids. You can't help but want to provide them with the best you can. And if you aren't buying expensive cages & toys, so be it. If you are making your own toys, even better and why not show us all what you did!? If I could think up things to make them I would as I love to save money! And we are a small friendly community, so why not give back to the vendors who helped us with good service and reasonable prices to help enrich our birds' lives, by giving them a public thank you & review. They work hard and being in business is not easy, so this is a great place to pass the word around to other potential buyers. But there is no pressure! Buy if you like or don't. Nobody will think any less of you if you never buy anything from anyone here. That isn't why we are here. We are sharing!
I don't see the need for a sub-forum either. We can all pick and choose what we want to read or not.
I guess I'm up to my 4 cents worth now. ;)

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
I love seeing what people got and their enthusiasm certainly is infectious! Sometimes I think about how much money they spend but I never feel bitter about it, I just think "wow, those birds are so lucky!" It's fun to see what people buy and all the different kinds of toys. I myself do not have the money to buy from online vendors a lot, most of the toys I have are ones that were on sale at petsmart or made by myself. Sometimes I wish I had things people posted, but I don't feel bad about it. It can even give me more ideas on what to make my own fids since I don't have the money to buy it.

I don't think it needs it's own subforum though, there are already soooo many subforums I was extremely intimidated when I first joined! To be honest, I came across this site once in the past but never joined because it was so large :eek: Then someone linked me to a picture of their bird, which was on this website, and I decided it was too awesome to pass up. Long story short, I don't think we need anymore subforums.

I also agree that it's fun to share with bird people. I can show my boyfriend everything and he'll say good job but he doesn't get as excited as I do when I make something or come up with a new idea to restore rope perches or something.

newatthistx

Real Name
Michele
, Today I got some fantastic bird toys for my macaw and they are beautiful, I was thinking of posting pics but....:huh:

I really hope that the Marketplace threads (posts) don't change now :mad:.....I hope people don't feel funny about posting their goodies or just decide not to post them at all :(.....

whether you call it bragging, showing-off, sharing excitement or whatever I love to see everyones goodies.....do I feel jealous sometimes---sure I do ....BUT I know I will feel that way even before I open the thread, and guess what ?? I open it anyway.... because I still like to see all the good stuff, get ideas, and add to my wishlist, etc.....

Nay for the sub-forum......

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
No one should feel funny about posting their purchases. If people are that unhappy about seeing what other people do, then they dont need to come to The Marketplace. Its that simple. I hardly ever post things I buy just because I dont get around to taking pictures but when I do, it is because I dont post pics of my birds that often and people (most people) enjoy seeing other people's birds and their new goodies. If anything, this may make me post more frequently. ;)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I vote leave it as is. There are already way too many forums to keep up with.:blink: I agree people show what they got because they are happy for their birds, excited, and enjoy sharing the feeling of happiness with their family here. I have gotten most of my ideas on how to make my bird's lives more enriched by threads there and in the toy section. I cannot always get them things, but I do get my food online, because the only store here that has what I need is not safe at all.{they run a rescue out of the same room as the toys, and the food is through a doorway!:eek:}
I don't think anyone posts to show off.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Of course we are showing off ;) we want to share the excitement we feel over getting our birds new things. I love seeing what others buy and it often causes me to spend more money because I see something I just have to get for my two :lol:

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
As a vendor, I love seeing reviews (and certain peeps take such beautiful photos!) both our our own toys, but other vendors as well.

It's nice to be appreciated, because, as a vendor the business takes so much away from my own family and personal life at times that it makes it all feel worthwhile.

I know the same happens via an email, but to take the time to post on a public forum to share your (the customer's) point of view and enthusiasm for their new goods, really does help others figure out what might work best for their own parrots.

I, myself, introduced the Wingdow to our home after seeing a few customer reviews/bravos in the Marketplace; and after so many great reviews about OG (and seeing Susan's products IRL at a fellow AA's), am looking forward to our new goods. Had it not been for reviews from real people, these items may not have come into our home.

And everytime people post TNT's knotted up toys (crazy knots!), I'm sure people appreciate the work that goes into the toys even more so than the pictures on her actual site.

I love seeing what people have purchased - it lets us make lists, and even daydream a little bit.
My thoughts exactly!

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Well .. I'm going to say it!!

I love BRAGGING about cool new toys that I get from our fantabulous vendors!! I'm not bragging about myself, but it's a brag for the vendor, to show off their goodies, which I think they deserve .. completely and totally :heart:

If you don't want to see what somebody got cause you can't handle it, makes you jealous, makes you feel bad, that's on you, don't open the thread .. nobody should feel bad/guilty about posting the things they got for their birds ever!!

I buy a lot based on other member's reviews. Sometimes I see something that looks completely different than what I thought it would, or something that I missed and can now add to my "wish list".

Yes, there I things I "dream/drool" over .. the gorgeous SS cages from Expandable Habits that some members have, the flying rooms, outdoor spaces .. heck .. even some "spendy" toys that I wait and wait .. save and save for .. <SWS time!!>.

I don't post every order I get, some are boring .. like food .. who wants to see my 25 lb. bag of Roudybush or 10 lb. bag of BH I just got? .. not all that interesting. However, when I get something special from Danita, Susan, Crystal, Jen .. or any vendor who specializes in custom type/specialty toys I'm excited, they're usually works of "art" <at least to me> and I feel that it's only right to show off/brag about THEIR hard work and dedication.

Anyhoo .. whether we keep things as they are or create a sub-forum doesn't really matter .. I just don't want to see people being "shy" about posting their goodies because of a few "debbie downers". Again, just don't open the thread and all is well in the world!! :hug8:

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I'm guilty of the green eyed monster blues as well. I'd LOVE to have bigger cages for the boys, and be able to order an Atom and nets, and all that good stuff that I see on here... but that's not going to go away by putting it in a sub forum. I absolutely adore seeing everyone's goodies and seeing the little birdies tear into stuff and I know that even though I can't afford a lot of it, I make do and my boys are very happy with what I can get for them. They're bragging posts all right, but it's not meant maliciously.

I posted about my order because I was so excited that I had been able to pull the money together and I wanted to share with people that I knew would appreciate it too. My hubby tries to be enthusiastic, and my sister just rolls her eyes, but neither of them get that gleam in their eye at the mention of pet supplies like I do. I shop for toys the way some shop for that perfect pair of heels... and I have to budget and save to be able to do it. I say keep things the way they are, having the threads tucked away in a sub forum doesn't make them less visible, and it's just as easy to not click on them here.

I wanted to add while I'm thinking about it... if the testimonials and posts about purchases need to go in a sub forum, shouldn't accomplishments with our fids be in the same boat? Someone may feel badly about not having made as much progress as someone else. Like me with Bartleby... I'm just getting him to trust me and today he stepped up for the first time. Would a sub forum be suggested if I were to be sensitive to pictures of people snuggling with their lovies? I know that seems like an extreme situation, but no one is going to be 100% happy with everything here, and having the site be over compartmentalized seems like a bad idea. If it takes too many clicks to get to where you want, I feel like the traffic is going to slow way down and AA won't be the fascinating place that it is now

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.