• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Order from such and such store

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I have subscribed to the Marketplace subforum about 1 month ago. There have been posts that helped me; they gave me ideas how to improve my birds' cages and gyms setups. For example, here I found out about stores that make wonderful perch platforms, which my birds enjoy now as well and have plenty of.

I enjoy photos showing birds playing with toys or using accessories our members have just purchased and cage setups showing how certain newly bought items are enjoyed by our birdies. However, I do not see the point of posts, which I call 'bragging', such as: "I placed an order with.....", "I just bought this and that from...." etc, and then each such a thread is followed by tons of how wonderful this particular store is. I think we all know this already; it seems so redundant :huh:

Maybe I am the only member here who feels this way, but I thought I'd share this.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I just think of it as sharing excitement with new stuff for the kiddos. It does lead to a good deal of gushing about the vendors... but I figure one never tires of compliments so it's pretty harmless even if it is a little redundant :)

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
That is part of what the Marketplace is about, but if there is enough requests we could consider having a separate testimonials area. We would not want to discourage anyone from giving positive testimonials about the vendors they enjoy shopping with. The toys and cages forum might be another option to look at or subscribe to.

So we would appreciate knowing how our members feel about a testimonial sub-forum. Post your yay or nay's in this thread. Thanks.

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I say "Yay". I like hearing about what other people get, and often get ideas from their posts, however, I think it tends to "clog" the main Marketplace section. A sub-forum would help clean up the main Marketplace section a bit.

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I would love to have a testimonials thread. I use Yelp to review stores I go to, but they don't have a place for online stores. I get really excited about an order, so I'm guilty of this. No one outside AA would understand, but it's like Christmas. I also like seeing what people get from stores I haven't ordered from yet. It gives me ideas. I got the pak-o-bird idea here, then when I got my pak-o-bird, the perch was way too big. There's no way little Zena could hold onto the perch if I had to stop quickly. I only had a couple of days before our trip. Then, someone posted about getting perches from the little perch company. My dilemma was solved. I picked up custom made perches from Danielle on the way.

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
I think a subforum is a good idea. It has been discussed before. I like when people tell us about their orders! This is the ease of the marketplace for me, if someone has ordered a product i have been *thinking* about getting, I can get an instant review and picture of said product. It goes vice versa as well, if I have purchased something I don't see a lot of people buying, I will tell people about it so I can spread the word. :) maybe you should unsubscribe from the marketplace and just remember to check it once a week.

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
From somebody who lives paycheck to paycheck (while holding their breath the last few days before payday), seeing all these threads (and there are 3 of them on my first page alone!) makes it hard for me and I often feel like a bad bird owner because I can't provide them with the awesome MSBS, T4W, CBN, etc toys. I do provide them with mass amounts of MY toys, though. :o:

GlassOnion

How about negative reviews? Will those be equally accepted as the positive ones?

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I would put a negative review. I just haven't had a reason to yet. I think that the vendors here really make the effort because they're small businesses. I don't think it would be right not to have negative reviews, that just gives a skewed perspective.

jeme3

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julie
As a former self employed small business owner (10 years as a photographer) I know that word of mouth is the best advertising there is. I also know exceptional customer service is the best way to get that word of mouth. Most people don't say anything unless there is a problem. I make a point of letting businesses know when I'm happy because I know it means a lot to the business.

In general, I try to shop locally with small independently owned business whenever possible, but sometimes things aren't available locally, so it's nice to know about good, trustworthy online sources for things. I appreciate reading about other's experiences.

All that being said, I think a lot of people post about their orders here because they are excited and happy and want to share with friends.

I don't see a need for a separate area for testimonials.

Kolkri

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angie
From somebody who lives paycheck to paycheck (while holding their breath the last few days before payday), seeing all these threads (and there are 3 of them on my first page alone!) makes it hard for me and I often feel like a bad bird owner because I can't provide them with the awesome MSBS, T4W, CBN, etc toys. I do provide them with mass amounts of MY toys, though. :o:
I also live pay check to paycheck. But I love the I ordered from.... post. It gives me an idea what I want to save up for or try to make. I only do orders usally once a year. If I am lucky sometimes twice and I want every penny to count.
I love the idea of a sub forum.

jeme3

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julie
And I bet your toys are awesome and keep your birds entertained and happy. And there are those who are jealous that we don't have the time, patience, and creativity to make our own all the time.

It doesn't matter where the toys come from. What matters is your birds are loved and cared for.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I love seeing the posts with pictures of new toys, cages & supplies. It gives me ideas. Even if I can't afford everything now, it goes on the wish list. Some I may try to make at some point, some I will buy. most I will never have.
I don't see anything wrong with sharing excitement, giving feedback on which toys the birds like and thanking the vendor for their great items & service (and if they happen to reap in more sales because of it, that's great for them, too). Why not help them get more business if we are happy with our orders?
If anyone doesn't want to read the thread, they can pass it by.
Nobody is posting to pressure anyone or make them feel guilty for not buying.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
How about negative reviews? Will those be equally accepted as the positive ones?
If the negative review is about a product and not a critique about a vendor, then yes. Members have all along given negative product reviews as well as positive ones.

If the negative review is about a vendor than that should be handled privately between the patron and the vendor as per the Marketplace rules (below) and not aired on the board. You can always bring something to the attention of the Admins if you needed.

Marketplace Rules:
"The intent of this section is for Roadies to share their favorite places to shop as well as for our members that are also vendors that are participating members to share specials offered at their stores.

We do not endorse or sponsor any store - This is a "free market" with no ties to any store. With that said it is expected for all members and vendors to treat each other with respect. If there is ever an issue with a store, we ask that it first be handled between the buyer and that store (wether the store is a vendor here or not). Most stores are willing to work with their customers and we ask that you give them that opportunity first...."

Last edited:

BIPE02

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I enjoy looking at people's purchases for future ideas. I too cannot afford a lot, but I do save and make "wish lists" for the future.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I appreciate the reviews. More than once I have been able to ask a question I had about a certain product because there was a thread review about it. I am a big review reader off the board whenever I am looking at something I want to purchase. 99% of the time I first research any product I want to buy. :)

LemonGrass

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I thought I would chip my 2 cents in here :D Since I am a very busy person and I love this forum, I try to juggle my schedule to make time to check AA when possible. I usually go straight to the market place and I feel that if there is a subsection for testimonials I would probably not read it as often and subsequently I would miss out on a lot -- this forum is HUGE! I really applaud those that can keep up with the entire forum. I personally love reading about these 'bragging' threads (I'm guilty to them myself :D:o:) but that's one of the main reason why vendors on AA strive. I would not have have purchased many of the toys that I have in the past year if it were not for seeing photos of other people's purchases, hearing their reviews on it, etc. With bird vendors being so saturated in today's market, this is one of the biggest edge that AA has and I would hate to see the marketplace being crippled.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I thought I would chip my 2 cents in here :D Since I am a very busy person and I love this forum, I try to juggle my schedule to make time to check AA when possible. I usually go straight to the market place and I feel that if there is a subsection for testimonials I would probably not read it as often and subsequently I would miss out on a lot -- this forum is HUGE! I really applaud those that can keep up with the entire forum. I personally love reading about these 'bragging' threads (I'm guilty to them myself :D:o:) but that's one of the main reason why vendors on AA strive. I would not have have purchased many of the toys that I have in the past year if it were not for seeing photos of other people's purchases, hearing their reviews on it, etc. With bird vendors being so saturated in today's market, this is one of the biggest edge that AA has and I would hate to see the marketplace being crippled.
The subforum would be right there in the Marketplace with all the reviews in one place so there would be less tendency to miss any that had filtered down through the other Marketplace threads. :)

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Since AA is not affiliated with any of the vendors as far as negative feedback, the purchaser should try and deal with the vendor directly before coming on here and bashing them when this may be the first time the vendor is aware of an issue. The Marketplace is for sharing what we bought. If you dont want to read the threads, skip over them. What would The Marketplace be for if it wasnt for people to share their experiences?

Feather

Avenue Veteran
I like the idea of a separate testimonials area. I don't often look at the threads in question, but for those who do I would think it would only make them easier to find if they're all in the same place.

Status
Not open for further replies.