• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Orange Wing ?s

jujube1209

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julie
Okay, so three separate (unrelated) people have approached me in the last week and asked if I would take a 14 year old Orange Wing Amazon. I don't really have room (but I could make room), but...nobody wants this girl. She lived in a nursing home (?!) for four years it sounds like, was in another home for 5 years, and in her current home for the last 5 years. They just don't want her.

I had a white-fronted amazon. Can someone tell me noise level compared to these guys? It's all relative, I know, but just looking for some frame of reference. I also have a cherry headed conure and a caique...(and a couple other birds that aren't as "loud").

I have a cape parrot who destroys toys (yay!). Are these amazons traditionally crazy chewers?

My dad has a 12-13 year old yellow nape....do the orange wings get as crazy hormonal? :hehe:

Lots of questions, I know....but if I'm even considering this, I just need more info.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
my OWA girl is a 47 yr old wild-caught. I'm her 3rd home, been here 9 years.
She is my sweetest bird. When I'm stressed she is the one i want to cuddle with.
She is so calm, yet loves to play and see new things.
She is unable to fly because of an old wing injury but she walks and stomps and runs and climbs anything.
She is my "adventure girl" and make me laugh.
She ADORES being outside, and getting spray baths.
She has her moments of noise, some OWAs I have heard make a high pitched whistle but she does only rarely.
She is quieter than my G2, Hahns, Jenday, and BFA.
She's not a biter but will tell you her opinions as strongly as you require to get it. She's not a pushover.
I've never detected any hormonal differences except maybe likes to chew things up a bit faster.
(We did have a BFA male companion, so I know Amazon hormones.)
She loves to chew shredders, boxes, and balsa, but she is not as fond of hard woods. Others may differ.
Get her get her get her. OWAs are totally wonderful and you will never regret it.

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
We had a male OWA from the age of 7 to when he passed at 48. He was such a nice bird. Very happy, yelled a little, only bit sometimes. Don't remember too many hormone issues. He has been gone around 5 years now. Still miss him. I would jump at the chance if I were you. The girls may be a little less prone to the hormone crazies, so it is good she is a she. If you feel that you really want to take in this bird, then just do it. It ultimately has to be up to you, but I don't think you will regret it.

jujube1209

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julie
Alrighty then. I will put some serious consideration to it. She needs a vet appointment badly as her nails are atrocious. I'm hoping to go meet her in the next day or two.

Thanks for the feedback....sounds like these birdies are some hidden gems.

jujube1209

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julie
I went and met her tonight. Her name is Pumpkin. The people that have her are very well intentioned, but just not bird people. She bit me a couple of times pretty good, but once she realized I wasn’t scared, she let me pick her up, and I even got a brief head scratch in. I wanted to scratch those cheeks SO bad. And she had the best Amazon smell. 374553AA-E147-466A-8709-54D16D9DF15A.jpeg

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
my Polly smells so good sometimes too. I'm addicted to sniffing her.
Isn't it neat how they are a-l-m-o-s-t a Hawkhead the way those feathers in the back of the head try to stand up tall?
What are you thinking about bringing her home?

jujube1209

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julie
She needs to go to the vet for a nail trim and an overall exam. I think she had a fatty tumor on her belly, near her left leg. They said it’s been looked at before (luckily we use the same vet). They said they can get her in next week. I also need to figure out a cage, because the cage she’s in is a HUGE California corner cage, and I just don’t have room for it.

And yes, I was surprised how far the head feathers stood up! 808D370B-C5FE-4D89-85EC-124202056FB8.jpeg

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Julie, I'd ask the vet about that tumor.

I love the slick head feathers.

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Aww shes pretty, sounds similar to my situation. I cant give much insight to the questions you asked because I just got her. So far she has been quiet except for the sounds she makes.
She hasnt gotten loud in the late evenings like Lucy my yellow nape does. Im sure things will change when we eventually move her to the living area.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Polly (OWA) had a fatty tumor on her neck. It got really large because I was reluctant to have surgery as she is a senior. But eventually it got so large that we were afraid it could hemorrhage, and she came thru the surgery just fine.
When I got her she had one below her eye and it started growing, then suddenly shrank and stayed that way. It looks like a movie star "beauty mark".

jujube1209

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julie
Looks like we are taking her. :wideyed::roflmao:

The people that have her aren't in a huge rush for her to leave...they just want what is best for her, and not being bird people, they just wanted to find a bird person for her.

I have to get some things situated in my own house (cages rearranged, etc), and get a good cage for her. I'm looking to bring her home the first weekend in June.

The current owners are going to take her to the vet and have her nails trimmed and have an exam done (at my request). I've known the vet for the last 18+ years, so as long as they give permission, I will call and talk to him after he sees her to get his opinion on her lump, and anything else he may have to say about her.

I think with some consistent handling, she will be a great girl. She told me to "step up" a couple times last night, so someone has worked with her at some point. Maybe I'll even get her DNA sexed to see if "she" is really a she after all.

I also informed my kids (ages 11, 9, and 5) that if we take her, they may well end up with her at some point (I'm 35...she may very well outlive me too!). They laughed. They don't get it. :lol:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She's pretty! I'm glad you're taking her on.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Looks like we are taking her. :wideyed::roflmao:

Maybe I'll even get her DNA sexed to see if "she" is really a she after all.:lol:
I don't know why people don't do this more.

The vet said it takes a while for that test to come back and if birds have a medical issue, I thought it was good to know if it was a possible egg situation.

jujube1209

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julie
For me personally, I was 17 when I got my first bird (back in 1999 - the conure that is my profile picture). It seemed like back then it wasn't as common for people to have it done? Could also have been just that i was a teenager. It also wasn't cost effective to have it done then. Then, it turned into "it doesn't matter if it's a boy or a girl, it won't change anything." Just recently (last 10 years or so) did it even occur to me that it may be beneficial to know whether or not a bird happened to be a female, because it would narrow down whether or not something was an egg-related issue pretty quickly.

I never had Ollie sexed, but I had a necropsy done when he passed in October, and I was right. He really was a male all that time. :smug:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for taking her into your home.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
@jujube1209

It may be that I'm a bigger worry wart than others.....

Veganature

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Steve
I got Oliver, my first Orange Wing Amazon 3 years ago. In my research to learn more about his breed I learned they are the only Amazons who can raise the feathers on the back of their neck and they usually raise them so that you can scratch/pet them there. As far as loud noises go, some OWA will let out a high pitched screech twice a day once at Sunrise and again at Sunset. Oliver did that a few times when I first got him. However, after going over to his cage and saying no firmly a few times without being threatening he stopped and no longer does that. Sometimes when I get him excited by telling what a beautiful bird he is he may make that high pitched screeching sound but very rarely. I wish we could post videos on here so I could post some of Oliver.

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
You can post videos, you just have to host it through youtube.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Look up my story about Luka, shes been one scared bird for the past few years, still she has never bitten me! I think OWA’s are amongst the mellowest amazons!

Oh wait, im late to the party :) you took the bird yes? Any news? Pictures? :heart: