• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Opinions???

birdnerd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
claire
Hey guys,,its been a while since ive been here.
Ive been in contact with someone who has a 3 month old quaker, was born smaller than the others and seems to have a lack of strength to climb the cage etc, but is learning.
Im considering adopting him. I waa just wandering if anyone hd any opinions on this? what you think it could be? The lady send she will send some videos to me, but ive attached some photos. it looks like his littel claw is curled the wrong way? o am i wrong? I dont have an experience with quakers..only lorikeets. :) Have a great night.
thumbnail_20170321_121121.jpg thumbnail_20170321_121152.jpg

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Any time a bird is smaller than usual, my first thoughts are if it was not feed out properly and will have issues with the body organs and not developing correctly which can and does lead to an early death.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Yup. The bird was the runt and thus not as well looked after as the others.
Im considering adopting him
What's to consider? He needs you and you can give him a great life no matter what his physical traits are.

birdnerd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
claire
ok.. i just wanted opinions to see if i am capable of caring for him thast all.......im not orried about his physical traits for appearance sake..just want to be sure i can do right by him

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I think you should go for it, provided you have the time, space, cage etc required to bring a 2nd bird into your life.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He's precious!

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:ygg:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Nerd was a runt, he was a Maxi Pionus and averaged 214 grams when normal is around 250. He also had bad flights on one wing so he flew poorly but walked everywhere and had really big thighs. The vet was worried till he never changed and his blood work was good. She finally decided he was just a skinny version. He was happy and active and loved me. He was with me for 31 years, Ferd, his brother, was fat and healthy and much bigger, he only made it a few years in before something took him.
So I'd say go for it, he needs a loving home and you need a friend, even if it isn't as long as normal for them he'll be so happy to know love and safety.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
While there's a chance of him not living as long due to being a runt, it doesn't look like there's anything specific wrong with him. The twisted claw will need to be trimmed often, but that's about it. It will not affect his ability to perch or climb. In fact toe injuries are quite common, and usually happen when the baby is very tiny and still in the nest with the parents - probably from the parents getting a little careless grooming the baby.