• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Opinions pls

Srohe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suzanna
our G2 is 4 years old and we’ve had her since she was 6 months old. She is flighted. Couple things need some advice on. How does everyone keep trim in there homes safe from being chewed? How long should she have per day out of her cage?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
No a cockatoo but my Jardines is allowed out all day long. I give him lots an lots of things to chew that he likes better, and cover the stuff that he is insistent on trying to chew anyways!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I have cardboard taped on my door frames in the living room. Not pretty but it works. I have to keep my ceiling fans on low and my kitchen cupboard doors are tied shut. I have read at least 2 hours but really I think longer is better. During the week, I give my goffin an hour and a half before I go to work and at least another hour and a half when I come home. Two and a half if I get home early enough. Then on weekends he gets probably 6-9 hours.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
One of ours is content to play with plastic toys parts and bead for hours. Sure I have to pick them off the floor over & over, but it's really not that big of a deal & it keeps her beak busy and happy. The other prefers to shred and chew. As long as they have things that keep them each busy, they're not destructive at all.

lexalayne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
Jw if Goffins are escape artists ? They look so sweet and gentle. Is this right ?
I love my U2 to pieces but she’s not like this. Of course she sweet and gentle with her family and we’ve had her almost 18 years and she was 12 when I fell in love with her at a per store. Just curious and wondering.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
So far our two are just escape finger painters ;) but I believe @sunnysmom's Elvis is becoming quite the escape artist. :artist1: And @iamwhoiam's maestro Keno is even beginning to teach! :rofl:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
@lexalyne, my goffin is an escape artist. LoL. He ca
So far our two are just escape finger painters ;) but I believe @sunnysmom's Elvis is becoming quite the escape artist. :artist1: And @iamwhoiam's maestro Keno is even beginning to teach! :rofl:
Yes, Elvis can unlock the top of his cage from the inside (and outside of course), his regular cage door and has figured out how to REMOVE the food door and food dish. As in completely, dismantled the door. I actually can't even get the one piece to fit back in. He can unscrew all of his toy hooks and if he doesn't feel like shredding a toy, he simply takes the whole thing apart. Our bird room isn't yet unsupervised bird safe but I would love some day to have a room for Elvis where he can just play and dismantle everything he wants and have his own set of cupboards too. Eventually, maybe.

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
@sunnysmom oh yes now this sounds very familiar!

Lol I lucked out years ago and was able to get a king Solomon Cage a customer has returned for a fraction of their cost - she broke out of everything and her favorite hobby was trying to amputate my kids toes ... we’ve ALL gotten older and she’s settled down except now every once in awhile one of her two too roommates will break her out.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Jw if Goffins are escape artists ? They look so sweet and gentle. Is this right ?
I love my U2 to pieces but she’s not like this. Of course she sweet and gentle with her family and we’ve had her almost 18 years and she was 12 when I fell in love with her at a per store. Just curious and wondering.
Keno is a Houdini in feathers. Previous cage all doors were padlocked. Current cage two padlocks on breeder door. That door unscrews and she figured out how to unscrew it. Had my BFA for 2 years before I got Keno. He never let himself out. I think Keno let herself out about a month after I got her. At first I thought I left the cage door opened but it happened again. I closed the cage door and hid around a corner watching and what I saw confirmed that she was opening the cage door. About a month or so after this started I would find my BFA out of his cage. I knew I had closed his doors but I hid around a corner and watched and confirmed what I suspected. He was now letting himself out. Casey likes to observe the other birds and sometimes copy their behaviors and so he learned to open his cage doors from watching Keno. I wound up purchasing a set of 6 padlocks so I could lock all of their doors. I was surprised to find Keno out one day because I knew I had padlocked the door but I found the lock on the floor with the key in it. I had left the key in the lock and she had turned it and opened the lock, removed the lock so it dropped to the floor and then was able to open her cage door.

Keno is great at taking things apart and also opening quick links as well as making them extra tight. She had a Frasier stainless steel Goodie Gadget which she was afraid of at first and when she got over the fear she took it apart and I couldn't find some of the screws. I think I must have thrown them out when I cleaned her cage.
goodie gadget.jpg

Keno is generally sweet and gentle but I have been bitten a few times. She doesn't play well with other birds although she usually is OK with Casey. In fact she loves Casey and bugs him too much and when he doesn't pay attention to her she gets angry.

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
They are so smart - one of my sons friends was telling us their umbrella could unlock a combination lock and each time they got another one (large family they always thought someone let the bird “see” the combo) he would open it faster than the one before.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
@lexalyne, my goffin is an escape artist. LoL. He ca

Yes, Elvis can unlock the top of his cage from the inside (and outside of course), his regular cage door and has figured out how to REMOVE the food door and food dish. As in completely, dismantled the door. I actually can't even get the one piece to fit back in. He can unscrew all of his toy hooks and if he doesn't feel like shredding a toy, he simply takes the whole thing apart. Our bird room isn't yet unsupervised bird safe but I would love some day to have a room for Elvis where he can just play and dismantle everything he wants and have his own set of cupboards too. Eventually, maybe.
:omg: :faint: I have no words...these birds would be too clever for me! I can't get over how they break out of ANYTHING!

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
:omg: :faint: I have no words...these birds would be too clever for me! I can't get over how they break out of ANYTHING!

My worst one is a female hyacinth. She’s 14 and fairly new to our house. First she broke and unscrewed all of the feeder doors and locks. When I fixed those so she couldn’t she unscrewed four large bolts on one of her doors. I came home to find a large door laying on the floor!

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
My worst one is a female hyacinth. She’s 14 and fairly new to our house. First she broke and unscrewed all of the feeder doors and locks. When I fixed those so she couldn’t she unscrewed four large bolts on one of her doors. I came home to find a large door laying on the floor!
And a Hyacinth is a BIG BIRD! Beautiful but holy cow!:jawdrop1:

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
G2 are very very cute and funny funny funny little clowns! But they are also all smarter than ME! :rofl:

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Agree with Sylvester - as much time out as possible. Give her lots of toys/things to do to divert her attention away from chewing your valuables. Otherwise, I put towels on things I don't want destroyed - over cupboard tops, bookcases, back of sofa. I have plastic transparent sheeting on top of the fridge to stop them chewing the seal. The house has lots of boings and atoms suspended from the ceiling, and parrot stands and most like playing or hanging out on those.

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
We are lucky enough that the cage we bought with our G2 has no screws or anything he can undo or open. Everything is heavy duty welded iron for a larger parrot. It takes my full strength to push the doors in and slide the clips up. We do have many plastic screw toys, heavy (non zinc) nuts and bolts, rattles, heavy duty balls etc for the little devil to destroy. If given a chance would he chew up the woodwork? Absolutely. He has damaged my dining room chairs in a millisecond (GRRRR). My poor husband has fallen asleep with the G2 in his knee, only to awaken to missing buttons and rivets off his jeans. He no longer owns a shirt with any remaining buttons or any working zippers on his jackets. I just shake my head at the two. Our G2 is not flighted and that has stopped him from flying to the B&G and starting a fight. Granted, the G2 can hop and climb to where ever he chooses, but with clipped wings, for whatever reason, no longer chooses to challenge the B&G. No, they are never left alone.

Time out of the cages. We are either fortunate or unfortunate depending how you look at it. We no longer work outside the home, so our birds are out of their cages from the time we get up to the time we go to bed. We have read that birds are hormonal to the hours of light, and since it is still winter, we put everyone to bed at 730pm and my husband I retreat to our room for the night. Yes, the sun sets hours before that time here, so that is our compromise. One of them.

Both our birds came from not so great situations. We feel we are providing a better life style, but we know it is not perfect. I feel the only way it could be perfect is if these guys were raised in the wild as nature intended.

Sherri