• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Opinions please

MahaSarah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Maha
My Amazon parrot recently fully grew her feathers back and she can fly. She had her feathers clipped ever since we bought her about 12 years ago when she was a few months old. I really do not want to clip her feathers again as I want her to fly and her feathers literally took years (maybe it felt that way but its been a super long time) to grow back. She isn't really a flyer anyway, only takes off when something scares her.

ANYWAY I really want to give her a shower as she is overdue for one but when I give her a shower I take her outside and use the hose on her. I am afraid she will fly away if I take her out.

As for bathing inside, I don't think that's an option, she doesn't really like to shower in the shower as she likes a certain setting on the hose.

Opinions on what I should do?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Put her in a carrier or cage outside? that's what I do for my birds. I never let any birds outside, clipped or not, without a cage or harness.

MahaSarah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Maha
I actually never thought of that!

Also, would you recommend a good harness? I want to start taking her on walks again (I do all the walking she just sits on my hand and stares at scenery lol), she seemed to enjoy them but I stopped because her feathers fully grew back.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I use a celltei backpack.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I put my amazons in the shower and just change the setting to a mist.

After all, in winter they need showers too.

Can you just buy an empty spray bottle from a dollar store or Wal Mart and put it on mist setting?

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Well, I've found a lot of my birds enjoy the shower, as long as it isn't spraying directly on them. I'll bring my birds into the shower with a cage they feel safe in, open the door so they can escape their cage if they really want out and just spray the water nearby, cupping one hand under the spray. Then, I gently drip it on them and get them nice and wet that way.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
DA61A833-0F37-4B6B-83BC-6650E763EC1F.jpeg This is a very good mister. FloMaster.
You can control the stream of water. The cockatiels really like the gentle spray above their little heads. Wasabi loves it once he gets into it. That crazy boy - I can spray him directly and he likes it, but he’s a big boy and it’s not harmful. I found mine at Home Depot, but it’s available on Amazon too.

If you have painful hands, it will be a problem, since the green pump has to be, well, pumped to get the spray to come out. It’s almost $10 on Amazon. I forget what I paid at HD. If you start with hot water, it will come down warm. Check it out on yourself first. I always test it first.

Be careful to dump out any remaining water and make sure the bottle totally dries. If you already use F10, you could also use it to clean your mister.

Last edited: