• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Opinion on putting two birds in one cage?

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi, I saw in another post you had an animal environments cage made for your golden conure. What bar spacing did you go with? I've been considering adding one to the flock for years. I now have 2 extra animal environments cages, and wanted to see if my spacing would work. Thanks!
I'm not @BeakFace but I believe she told me it was 1" once. I'm sure 1" is fine for a Golden Conure, but personally, if it were me, I'd do 3/4 only because I'm paranoid.

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I'm not @BeakFace but I believe she told me it was 1" once. I'm sure 1" is fine for a Golden Conure, but personally, if it were me, I'd do 3/4 only because I'm paranoid.
Yes 1" custom. 3/4 is good but actually my Queen of Barvaria has quite a bit bigger beak and head than my Rose Breasted Cockatoo. They are both in a Macaw cage made to heavier specs like the Palms cages and both 1" spacing. Actually when Carmen made them I believe it's between 7/8-1". They are just slightly under 1". She custom made the tops to match Luxor cages and in order to do that just a little variation in bar spacing. The GRATE on all 3 Macaw cages is 3/4". Double hand welded and the thickest bars Animal Environments uses, 1/4". Very heavy when made with 1" spacing so we put a heavy duty frame and extra large rubber wheels on all cages so I can move them with ease and not scratch wood floors. Also all cages reinforced in case Palms land on their cages because they would snap the welds. When the smaller birds are in outdoor flight the Palms fly and land on Java tree, 2 ring stands and on the Macaw cage as well as two Luxor cages. She made an Amaxon cage custom for my Canary with real small bar spacing, double hand welded bars like the other cages not quite as thick bars but descent size for a canary. Shipping these monsters are so expensive! Love the cages. Hope this helps anyone interested in one of her cages. The only draw back is be patient. I have another Amaxon cage coming for Rascal. Custom for him .

Last edited:

Perryberry

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Thanks for the replies, mine will work!

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
What bar spacing do you have?

Perryberry

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
One I believe is a standard, and the other I think is an inch.

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
I decided to put off the decision until after they had adjusted and now I am thinking about it. I am weighing quality and risk, right? They are clearly bonded to each other now. Rio is a baby and things may change as she gets older. I am loathe to make them sad but would like them to be safe.
I would put them in side by side cages and when they are out of their cages they could spend all the time they want together. But have their own private bedrooms.
Just like people that grow up and want their own space.

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
It's not worth one of my birds getting hurt. It's aLways a possibility when they are in the flight as well but I do supervise very closely.

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
He is a precious and special little bird. He's such a hard fighter! I'm glad he's starting to have some fun and dance. Our BFA also dances. Zons like music. Does the vet think most of his feathers are able to grow back? Do they know why he lost them? I hope you keep us updated on Rascal (and your other feathered babies).
Rascal was neglect for 32 years. Terrible infection in nares and ears for the majority of his life. Feather loss do to infection. He had no feathers when I got him and according to owner hasn't had any in over twenty years . He was breathing out beak because nares and ears full of puss! It's shocking to me he is growing any feathers.

Beth In Alaska

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Beth
It's WONDERFUL he is growing feathers! What kind of person never takes their bald bird to the vet.

Beth In Alaska

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Beth
I would put them in side by side cages and when they are out of their cages they could spend all the time they want together. But have their own private bedrooms.
Just like people that grow up and want their own space.
I have bought a cage for this purpose but haven't used it yet. They are only in the cage at night. Right now they hate to be separated but maybe if they can see each other it will be ok.

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
It's WONDERFUL he is growing feathers! What kind of person never takes their bald bird to the vet.
It's a sick world! This poor little guy was with her 32.5 years . She got him at 6 months old. Thank goodness she couldn't take him with her! How he lived in this condition just blows my mind! Everyday it's the first thing I do in the morning is check on my little naked man!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
i had a quaker and nandy conure that chose each other and were caged in a double flight the quaker could not use his nek right the conure was plucked they both were good flyers i had to rehome them but required they stay together they were good for each other and the benifits were worth the risk