• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Opening cage door

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
I used to always open Coco's door and put my hand in for him to step up so I could bring him out.

Lately, since he has been agressive, I open the door and walk away, letting him come out and climb to the top of his cage if he wants ( and go back in when he wants)

I just read that you should not let amazons come out on their own (especially agressive ones), but they should always be "taken" out by a person - even if a glove or stick is used.

Am I doing something wrong by letting him have this "control?"

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What is the reason? My quakers can be aggresive, particularly around their cages, but I've never made them step up from inside their cage. My experience always has been that allowing them that choice has been a positive experience for everyone, and thus breeds confidence and mutual respect

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I used to always open Coco's door and put my hand in for him to step up so I could bring him out.

Lately, since he has been agressive, I open the door and walk away, letting him come out and climb to the top of his cage if he wants ( and go back in when he wants)

I just read that you should not let amazons come out on their own (especially agressive ones), but they should always be "taken" out by a person - even if a glove or stick is used.

Am I doing something wrong by letting him have this "control?"
Not in my mind.

That's how MC comes out.

We have a fantastic relationship.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I allow Solomon to come out at his own pace. He'd bite the heck out of me if I reached in for him.

Allow him to move at his own pace (which is slowly), and he's a gem in green. :)

Roxhum

Walking the driveway
I always hestate to reply because I know next to nothing. But I have been researching like mad since getting Pampa and according to my research the cage is the birds space and it is actually being respectful to allow the bird to decide when to come out and then you can have them step up.
My first week or two with Pampa I got a few good bites. None since. Now if he doesn’t want to step up I just walk away. The next time I ask he is eager to step up.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Sun Tikki will sometimes step up and a couple of the gccs will too, but I let most decide how they want to come out. Quaker JJ will sometimes walk out onto his platform and ask for "bird hug" so I cup my hands around him and say "bird hug" and then "cuddle cuddle" if he lets me hold him a little longer.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I always hestate to reply because I know next to nothing. But I have been researching like mad since getting Pampa and according to my research the cage is the birds space and it is actually being respectful to allow the bird to decide when to come out and then you can have them step up.
My first week or two with Pampa I got a few good bites. None since. Now if he doesn’t want to step up I just walk away. The next time I ask he is eager to step up.
Look at my name in here. We all start somewhere. We learn. We are all entitled to an opinion.

Thanks for doing the research. I can't tell you how many books, magazines, seminars, conferences, etc that I have done. Best advice I ever heard was from a speaker by the name of Watson they flew in from overseas to a conference in Texas . . . . He indicated it was okay to always ask questions, "why" do people say that's the way to do things?

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
We uncover the birds in the morning, change water give them food and open their doors. They come in and out all day until its time to go to bed unless we arent going to be there or we put them outside in the aviary. I dont know if its right or wrong, but its the way we have always done it. They will both step up from inside the cage and we do that if we are taking them outside or to get a shower but 90% of the time its open doors and give them the choice.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I can ask both my Amazons to step up inside their cage, and they will without biting.
But what I actually do is just open their doors and they can come out when they want.
I have not seen where it has caused any problems whatsoever

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Thanks everyone. No reason was given in the article it just said never let them come out on their own. I think it was a control thing about cage aggression because the article also said move their cage location at night.

I used to always put my hand in, Coco would come to the front perch and raise a foot. I admit that after the crazy spring we have had, he comes out on his own but I have lost some confidence using my hands. If he bluffs in the slightest, I back off. He hates the stick and is slowly shredding it (it is a dowel). I used to be so confident and he responded in turn. He does seam to be calming down a bit so maybe we will get back there.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I say what ever works ... works. Up until Henry and Lola were five I was able to step them up from inside the cage with my hand. I carried them around without worry but did learn one trick from the breeder I bought Lola from. I still use that trick when I transport them on a perch. It's the art of distraction keeping the birds focus off wanting to come at the hand holding the perch while walking. As I walk I slowly move the perch up and down and maybe do a side step if they start to move towards my hand. If I had to I would do a turnaround and take a couple steps in an opposite direction and then turn again to where I was going with them. They concentrate more on the movement, a bit befuddled on what I'm doing and thinking less about the hand on the perch ... distracted. I open their doors and they come out on their own and have for years now. I can still pet them both but at their request only. I stay and talk to Lola but not Henry so much... it all depends on his mood. As long as it works for you to give him freedom from his cage by letting him come out on his own then by all means keep your hands safe and he'll be a happier bird coming and going as he pleases. I started a reply to one of your other threads and haven't finished writing yet... I can be long winded when I get started. I have also heard to not allow them a high perch as in on top of the cage because they will be more dominant. Hello....... Amazons are dominant anyway. When Henry isn't in his hormonal rages he's always over my head on the perch over his cage. He watches what I do as I wipe the top tray and follows me from one side to the other. I don't have to look at him to know what his mood is and I can see him without actually lifting my face up to look at him. If I do look him in the eye he may pin his eyes because it's confronting. If he moves towards me I move away to the other side of the tray wiping. It's not so much that he intends to come bite but more interested in my hair or glasses. I have minimal conversation when I wipe his tray top so I don't encourage contact or stir him up. I might say "No... don't touch" or "Nah!" If he is in my way as I move about I always say "Excuse me" in a semi loud voice and he moves away ... it's been a great trained response of action for me and he seems to understand he needs to move... because he always does. If he didn't move then I change my direction. It took me a while to learn "It's my way or the highway" wasn't going to work .... because the Amazon is ALWAYS right. :D Expect behavior patterns with Coco to be ever changing and adjust accordingly. A big hug and a thank you for giving him a home!:hug8:

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
My BFA puts his foot up as soon as I open the cage door. I guess it is just what they are used to.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
My BFA puts his foot up as soon as I open the cage door. I guess it is just what they are used to.
That was Coco before this spring. Since then he has been agressive.

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
Mine gets a little bit aggressive around March and April. Not as bad as he used to. He is now 35, so a lot of that has mellowed over the years. As they get older, I guess the hormones aren't as bad as when they are young bucks!

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Mine gets a little bit aggressive around March and April. Not as bad as he used to. He is now 35, so a lot of that has mellowed over the years. As they get older, I guess the hormones aren't as bad as when they are young bucks!
Thanks for this information! I have been trying to find out an age that they start to mellow (Coco is approximately 21) and no one seems to be able to tell me --including my vet. She says she knows much more about females and hormones but there is not a lot of information on males (apart from they get very grumpy). Coco seems to be getting a bit better now - the worst of it was from May through June.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
So I spoke too soon. Coco seemed calmer tonight and looked like he wanted to step up and come off of his cage top. I approached cautiously, spoke gently but then turned slightly and he jumped on my back, bit my ear, and when I tried to get him to step off (get off my ear) he chomped my hand. So he is back in his cage now making a ruckus and I am bleeding, again. Its loke he wants on me but wont step up so grabs on with his beak...hard.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm so so sorry.

Secret has never jumped on someone but the bird is old also.

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
Give it some time. This is not a good time of year for them. They have raging hormones, and don't know what to do with them. Leave him alone and he will eventually calm down to his old self.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think it depends on the birds behavior and what works in your house. I have no problems letting my female amazons, cockatoo and macaw out on their own. My male amazons and male cockatoo can sometimes be a different story depending on the time of year. When my goffins was flying at me and face biting, I had his cage in my bedroom and I just opened the door and left the room for about 30-60 minutes. Then went back in with his supper bowl and he’s go back in the cage on his own. Sometimes by then he was done with the screaming and flying around and could be handled for a few seconds for a quick scratch. My amazons are not in a situation where I can do that right now. If your bird steps up to a stick, use it. My boy does not, so I have to take a moment and look at body language before asking him to step up. If I feel like he wants to bite me, then he just stays in his cage. I need to do some clicker training with him about the step up stick.