• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Opal has some yellow drainage around her eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
This morning I've noticed Opal has yellow stuff around her eyes and keeps itching her one eye. She's also holding one of them closed the one she keep itching. She was perfectly normal yesterday had her out of the cage and everything. Anyone know what I could do to help her?

Can't hardly see her in this one but this is the side she's keeping closed. Couldn't get a good picture of it.

Here's a picture from yesterday and you can see she wasn't having a problem then.

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It's either an irritant around her or a possible infection. Time for the vet. :) Call them and see what they say.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
looks similar to pink eye

any time the issue is with eyes and drainage, the vet needs to be seen.

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Good morning. Since the bird has a yellow discharge around the eye you need to see an avian vet for possible antibiotic. I would call one first and explain What you are seeing with the bird. This could be an early sign of conjunctivitis. Your avian vet will be able to check the discharge with a microscope and determine cause and solution. Keep your bird warm 85-87 degrees and hydrated until you can determine what is going on. There is a possibility of an airborne allergy or maybe part of a seed hull is stuck in or under the eye lid.

gary

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
i forgot to add if it is pink eye - it is contagious just like the human form is - so keep her away from your other birds.

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Thanks guys. Thinking it's probably a infection since it is in both eyes.
And of course my hubby is where I can't get ahold of him. Grr.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Is she handleable? If so I would gentley wipe her eye with a sterile cotton ball with some sterile eye wash.

This should be part of an avian first aid kit.

Ginger

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
You need to seperate the two at this point....
Keep her at a temp around 85º and quiet/dark area....make sure she has food/water in there also...
This will calm her down some so she is not on ALERT because of the other bird....
Also agree that a vet call is a must! Let him know that is has been in a cage with another bird who is not showing signs at this time BUT.....:hug8:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Definitely sounds like an eye infection to me. I think taking her to the vet is a good idea.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Is she handleable? If so I would gentley wipe her eye with a sterile cotton ball with some sterile eye wash.
This should be part of an avian first aid kit.
Ginger
Very good thing to have on hand. Only drawback is once the bottle is opened it is no longer sterile. Don't know if they come in sealed wipes. That would be ideal.

Tamara

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tamara R Money
Definitely needs to go to the vet! I hope it goes away quickly!

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
So I called the vet and they suggested I try doing saline in them and if that doesn't help to bring her in. So with everything going on with my FIL today hubby should be home soon and be able to give me a hand with her. She is not a tame one. So :fingerscrossed: it helps her otherwise it's going to be a trip to the vet which is not going to be easy on us with just having paid a few thousand to get my hubby's truck fixed.:(

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Don't wait too long. They go downhill fast once their sick. Wait and see doesn't work with birds. Too late is too late.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Don't wait too long. They go downhill fast once their sick. Wait and see doesn't work with birds. Too late is too late.
Ditto to what John said.
ML

Hendryx

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridie
Yes, don't wait..Birds can go from sick to dead in a heart beat..better safe than sorry.

Trice

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trice
Poor baby! Susan,

Please take Opal to the vet asap. Birds can go down quick. Opal needs vet care.

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Did the saline in her eyes and she's doing great. They don't look nearly as bad as they did and she's back to being her peppy self. But if she's showing any sign at all in the AM I plan on taking her in.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli

Specially budgies and the smaller guys

I mean my Gizmo was perfectly fine showed no signs of anything being wrong what so ever 20 mins later he couldn't use his legs at all and was on the cage floor and gone before the night ended - he was playing and chirping and doing his normal stuff 20 mins before I walked back in and found him on the cage floor he would be 2 this Jan 14th and died sept. 10,2009

Status
Not open for further replies.