• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Only been a week....

ChefWolverine

Meeting neighbors
But I'm already thinking about getting another parrot. I'm gone for very long hours any given day and I feel bad leaving him alone.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Please wait a few months. You are still in the honeymoon phase. You won't truly know your bird and his/her temperament for at least a couple months. And if you get another bird now he/she may decide he doesn't want you anymore.

Reiker#7

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Reiker
No no no! I strongly recommend NOT getting a bird for your bird! It is probably the worst thing you can do out of the reason that you think your bird may be lonely(or for any reason- right after you bring a new parrot home).
Focus instead on giving your NEW bird minimum 30 minutes or more undivided attention daily (to get to know your bird); but never more attention than you'll ultimately think you will be able to give him in the long run. Instead of feeling bad, utilize the time you do have to give your current bird. I strongly suggest waiting minimum 1-year before adding another bird!!! This has proven to be an example in many occasions for which I have experienced.

Last edited:

Perriewinkle

Rollerblading along the road
You've been given great advice. There is nothing I can add that hasn't already been said. The lil bit of time you do have should be given to your new flock member.

And varying your routine isn't a bad thing. Birds love the same patterns, but as we know, life changes in an instant and it's easier to get your bird to adapt and go with the flow now, than after years of the same thing.

Make sure your cage is extra roomie, and your new fid has toys to keep their interest while you are out. Remember, birds are flock animals and prefer company, that doesn't mean another bird, it means you. Or things to occupy them while you can't be with them. A larger than minimum cage can not be stressed enough when you are away for long time periods.

BirdLover_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carter
Dont get another bird! Im not sure what kind of bird you have but Green Cheeked Conures and Budgies have about a 15 minute timer to where you can train and spend time till its attention goes somewhere else. Try to spend anytime with your bird that you can. You could also try moving the bird's cage to a place where you spend a lot of time (For example, i spend a lot of time in my room on my computer so i take my bird up and set it right next to me). You didnt specify your problem all that much so im not sure if he is acting bad as in biting, etc. If he is biting, he may think you are a threat or he is being territorial of his space (most likely his cage). If its a biting habit and he is scared, get a wooden stick he can step on or something and if he gets on move him onto a couch seat or preferably the top part of the couch where your head rests because birds prefer to be high up. If he is on the couch with you (or wherever you soend the most time at) you should casually in a calm and soothing voice talk to him and give him treats from your fingers (good treats include blueberrues, seeds, banana chips, millet, papaya bits, mango bits, etc) and if he takes the treats without biting you, praise him. Move then to the nsxt step and put food and treats in the middle of your hand and see if he takes it, if he does praise him even more and give him treats. If he eats from your hand, it means he/she somewhat trusts you. if the bird tryies biting you, leave the bird alone for a little while and try again later. Dont get rid of the cute bird. Im sure you'll love him more than anything as time goes. Good luck with your future bird endeavors, friend! :)