• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

ONLY a week

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
It's only been a week and I think Sherman is starting to trust me! Yesterday she quit playing "senital" bird then this morning, she watched me add food without moving away from my hand or hissing at me! She seemed to appreciate the new food and water! At her age and with her history, that's remarkable. I was just hoping that she'd know this human wasn't going to hit her!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Great news. :)

Reactions: LSA

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I'm so thrilled.:dance55: I've been giving Sherman carrots, bell peppers, sprouts, etc. in her new "treat" bowl and she watches me then eats from it. She seems to like carrots best and only tolerates green beans. I've been making the chop pieces a bit smaller each day.
She stayed on the natural branch I put in her cage for over 15 minutes before retreating to her new corner hideout. I really think Sherman is starting to trust me more and more.

RaeT

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rae
That's great! :) Glad to hear you're making some good progress.

Wannabird2003

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen Z
Mine loves Sugar Snap Peas. It is so cute to see her hold it in her foot and peel the outside so she can eat the peas within. She also loves red grapes, corn, lima beans, bananas, pine nuts, almonds, cashews and pomegranate arils.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Mine loves Sugar Snap Peas. It is so cute to see her hold it in her foot and peel the outside so she can eat the peas within. She also loves red grapes, corn, lima beans, bananas, pine nuts, almonds, cashews and pomegranate arils.
I grow snap peas, peppers, pomegranates, apples, etal. My previous bird, a PGCC, was convinced these fruited just for her. I've heard that peas are a favorite! I was telling someone this morning about corn. I gave her a corn blade and some corn seeds yesterday because my corn is only 3' and not producing yet. Sherman loved that.
Sherman doesn't seem to care much for the sprouted bean mix or pasta I gave her. On the other hand, she loves carrots and bell peppers. She seems to like fresh stuff more than her pellets.
Be careful with grapes! All the chemicals used to grow them settles and stays in the peel! It does not stay in the leaves but, the leaves have STRONG tannins. Those tannins are why many picklers add them to their crocks and jars. I do.
What about peppermint variety mint? Figs ripen soon. What about figs? My foot long variety pole beans are blooming. What about green beans? Okra will be producing in ~6 weeks. Is okra something she can eat? Walnuts? Radishes?
My girl stayed right by my hand as I fed her this morning and seems to like climbing the natural tree branch in her cage more than her perch.
Sherman was back to being "sentinal" bird when I returned. Is this "watching" behavior normal? She's my first pi and I've never had a bird do this before. Sure, birds will roost as high as possible but, this is different.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Yes to the sentinel. Large and in charge! LOL Pis are different from most other birbs it seems.

All the foods you named are safe as far as I know. Go easy on the peppermint (She's probably not going to like it anyway) -- essential oils in large doses yadda yadda. Walnuts are a fave, radishes I didn't think to offer until recently, they like them.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
birds should love figs.
Grow your own grapes but watch out the wild birds will probably get them before you do.
Organic grapes should be OK.

Same thing with berries fruits///better off with organic

Don't know about okr...sort of pastey

Nuts are good except too many too much fat but its good fat.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Grow your own grapes but watch out the wild birds will probably get them before you do.
Organic grapes should be OK.
I grow all my own produce. My little town and even "big city" (~10k population) don't have organic grapes and I know lots of growers that go heavy on the ammonia nitrate during their growing season.
Wild birds are less attracted to my Scupps and I raise lots of Sunflowers for Pest control. They're more interested in the Sunflowers for the bugs first then seeds then perches. My figs and tomatoes get netted. I know parrots like okra flowers but, I like okra!

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
My WC Sherman is watching me and making that scratchy beak sound. My other birds do but, this is the first time I've heard her do it and, since she's my first pi, I wonder if she'll be different.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Pionus can make a wheezing sound.

We have a huge 100 yo fig tree in Australia & neighbor grows figs.
Such a short season & perishable.

He makes fig jam. Can use it as a natural sweetener.

I'm not big on figs.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Pionus can make a wheezing sound.

We have a huge 100 yo fig tree in Australia & neighbor grows figs.
Such a short season & perishable.

He makes fig jam. Can use it as a natural sweetener.

I'm not big on figs.
100 yo? Impressive! Mine are Brown Turkey Queens and yours? I have several because they're SO good! I make fig jam to avoid the meltdown. I always make a special batch with strawberry jello for a friend. He loves it but not me or the flock.

Sherman wheezes occasionally. She also "squeaks" and "purrs" every now and then.
Never before has such a quiet and non-aggressive parrot lived here. She doesn't even call when she hears my parakeet JoJo. I wonder how she'll respond to the Sun Conure screams. Any ideas what to expect?