• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Only 2/3 Sprouts Grow

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Sorry if this has been asked before. I recently have been trying my hand at sprouting, and I bought this package of three different kinds of seeds to sprout. Only 2 two kinds of seeds sprout. Buckwheat hasn't made any progress so far. [Funnily enough, I actually have two other types/packages of buckwheat and neither of those sprouted either...]
So will I have to sort through the seeds and pick the buckwheat out?
Also, another question, how long can you wait to feed sprouts? Like can you feed them at any stage, no matter how grown?

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Are the Buckwheat grains raw or roasted? If they are roasted they won't sprout.

Some people just soak seeds/grains/legumes overnight and let the birds eat them the next day (soaked rather than sprouted). I prefer to wait until I see a "tail" on each seed. Most are quite fast to sprout in the summer when temps are higher. I think my grain legume mix is taking about 1.5 days to sprout now - it will drop back to about 2 or 2.5 days in the winter. I mix mung beans, wheat, kamut, spelt, buckwheat, green lentils, brown lentils, seseme... and sometimes whole grain rice. Chickpeas (garbanzos) and adzuki beans I find take a day longer.

Here are some sprouted buckwheat bottom right. This is raw buckwheat, not roasted which is dead:

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Are the Buckwheat grains raw or roasted? If they are roasted they won't sprout.

Some people just soak seeds/grains/legumes overnight and let the birds eat them the next day (soaked rather than sprouted). I prefer to wait until I see a "tail" on each seed. Most are quite fast to sprout in the summer when temps are higher. I think my grain legume mix is taking about 1.5 days to sprout now - it will drop back to about 2 or 2.5 days in the winter. I mix mung beans, wheat, kamut, spelt, buckwheat, green lentils, brown lentils, seseme... and sometimes whole grain rice. Chickpeas (garbanzos) and adzuki beans I find take a day longer.

Here are some sprouted buckwheat bottom right. This is raw buckwheat, not roasted which is dead:
Thank you, I sincerely appreciate the info! But I do not find that it really answers my questions

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Are they seeds specifically for sprouting? If not, it may well be that the Buckwheat has been roasted (killed), in which case, they need to be removed as they will turn everything else to a slush. If the packet says they are for sprouting, then you will know that the Buckwheat is raw and I would just leave it in the mix. Some of my Buckwheat doesn't sprout, but most does.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I find some of my sprouts take a day or two longer than some of the others in the same mix.
I no longer buy the mixes because I find that although they all sprout at similar times, some sprout much faster than others.
Burt prefers his sprouts when they only just have a tail starting but he will eat them a day or two after that initial tail breaks through. Both my budgies much prefer the sprouts with a few days growth so they get them when they have much longer tails :)

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
, they need to be removed as they will turn everything else to a slush.
Okay, thanks for clarifying!
I find some of my sprouts take a day or two longer than some of the others in the same mix.
I no longer buy the mixes because I find that although they all sprout at similar times, some sprout much faster than others.
Burt prefers his sprouts when they only just have a tail starting but he will eat them a day or two after that initial tail breaks through. Both my budgies much prefer the sprouts with a few days growth so they get them when they have much longer tails :)
Thank you for responding! It's interesting that they prefer different things.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Okay, thanks for clarifying!

Thank you for responding! It's interesting that they prefer different things.

Not to confuse you @ all but everyone & every bird likes things different. You may want to go to sproutpeople.org if you want to verify me...

I start feeding Buddy sprouts after my initial soak. Everything I read @ the link above says the have full nutrition @ that point. (So that's 1/2 my reason for doing that)

Here's my other reason, he likes the part that's not the tail... Not sure why but there is a thought, Buddy's eyes are a disaster. My guess was a bad diet. I think they're holes in his vision & these tails, as they grow out, poke his face & he can't see whats getting him. I trim them w/ scissors in his bowl right before he eats, & by making this part shorter he's not getting hit by the tail as he bites the head & seems to enjoy his food more therefore consuming more. I'm not positive this is why he doesn't eat the tails but let's say (maybe) an educated guess.

I prefer that each item is sprouted in it's own container & then I mix them for Buddy. Maybe as I get more confident w/ sprouting it won't matter but the group sprouting batches start ok, but I keep having longterm crop issues. Right now I'm just eliminating too many variables into the story to avoid this situation.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Not to confuse you @ all but everyone & every bird likes things different. You may want to go to sproutpeople.org if you want to verify me...

I start feeding Buddy sprouts after my initial soak. Everything I read @ the link above says the have full nutrition @ that point. (So that's 1/2 my reason for doing that)

Here's my other reason, he likes the part that's not the tail... Not sure why but there is a thought, Buddy's eyes are a disaster. My guess was a bad diet. I think they're holes in his vision & these tails, as they grow out, poke his face & he can't see whats getting him. I trim them w/ scissors in his bowl right before he eats, & by making this part shorter he's not getting hit by the tail as he bites the head & seems to enjoy his food more therefore consuming more. I'm not positive this is why he doesn't eat the tails but let's say (maybe) an educated guess.

I prefer that each item is sprouted in it's own container & then I mix them for Buddy. Maybe as I get more confident w/ sprouting it won't matter but the group sprouting batches start ok, but I keep having longterm crop issues. Right now I'm just eliminating too many variables into the story to avoid this situation.
Yep, every bird has their own special personality:D You can buy a mix of sprouts for your parrot that gives them a nice variety.