• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

One step forward, two steps back.

sierraecho89

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Seraphina
Soooo Louie was settling in well.. He was transitioning nicely onto non-vitamin-fortified organic pellets, trying a whole variety of new foods, trying mash, playing, etc.

Then we had to board him for a week.

Now he's barely eating. Will only eat corn and seeds and maybe bananas. Won't touch pellets (the old kind out the new) or mash or anything new. Losing weight (he's down to 360 from 375). Ugh.

Off to the vet we go today, which was supposed to be his well-birdy checkup.

At least he's playing more today...

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry. I hope it is just stress that is causing it. Please let us know how the vet visit goes.

sierraecho89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Seraphina
Aaaand now he's regurgitating the food he DID eat for his one true love--my husband's foot. Joy.

I'm trying to get him to nibble on mash again by lumping it into bite sized chunks and putting almond slivers on top, but so far he's only eating the almond slivers. Argh.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think I would let him eat whatever he wants for now to get his weight back up. I've always been told eating something is better than nothing. Keep us posted on the vet visit.

sierraecho89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Seraphina
I got him to eat a carrot!!! Yaaaaaay! Best. News. Ever.

You're probably right, sunnysmom. We'll give him as much corn as he'll eat, then. And now carrots. Going to try apples next. He LOVES eggs (sunny side up) but I know they're not good for him in large quantities. Argh.

I'm wondering if he are anything at all during boarding.. Poor dude.

sierraecho89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Seraphina
Vet checked Luigi out and gave him the all-clear! He says that, if he's eating and drinking anything, he's fine--probably just wanted comfort food after the trauma of moving homes and being boarded. That the lower energy probably has more to do with being knocked out of his hormonal mode, that if he's playing at all (he is) he should be fine.

He says the bald patch on the back of his head is just a mojo molt and will grow back. :)

And apparently he's slightly overweight, which makes me feel better about him losing weight. We're going to monitor his weight here, keep offering a variety of foods, and let him come around.

I feel so much better, and I love it when posters like Sue are right!