• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

One or two?

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
In a parrot-related facebook group, I saw someone comment on how, in Switzerland, it is illegal to keep just one of any social animal species. In regards to parrots, this meant having at least two parrots of the same species (two budgies, two cockatiels, and so forth). In other words, having a parrot of one species and a second parrot of another species living in the same room (housed in different cages, of course) wasn't enough.

This got me thinking. I have two cockatiels, and it is obvious that they appreciate each others company and that they look out for each other as a flock. In fact, I, personally, can't imagine just having one cockatiel. And I know of rescues that have a policy of adopting out two cockatiels (unless the household already has a cockatiel). However, these same rescues don't necessarily have this policy for other species of parrots.

In fact, I have read those who have, for an example, a macaw, and emphasize that their macaw would not be happy living in a household with another macaw. Other species of parrots are fine, but another macaw, not so much.

THEN there is also a mindset that, really, if you are unable to provide enough enrichment for one parrot to be happy, having two parrots won't help. As in, so long as you provide enough opportunities to keep your parrot busy and happy, then having just one parrot is fine.

Okay, before I let myself ramble on, let me spit this question out: do you feel that having two parrots of the same species is key to a parrot's happiness? If not, why? Do you feel that having two parrots (regardless of species) in the house is enough for companionship?

I'm curious because, although I always imagine having more than one cockatiel, I do imagine myself adopting parrots of other species in the distant future. And I am not sure if I should, when that time comes, be in the mindset of adopting two parrots at the same time.

Thanks in advance!

ThatsFowlPlay

Hit the Road
Real Name
Jasmine
I find quite odd that Switzerland has that kind of policy. That policy seems impossible as some birds are better off with flock mates. I understand that maybe this helps prevent hoarding of parrots but some parrots are happy with some buddies of the same species. And plus, in nature we see most birds of anykind in flocks as they are prey and help each other out in sensing danger.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I find quite odd that Switzerland has that kind of policy. That policy seems impossible as some birds are better off with flock mates. I understand that maybe this helps prevent hoarding of parrots but some parrots are happy with some buddies of the same species. And plus, in nature we see most birds of anykind in flocks as they are prey and help each other out in sensing danger.
Perhaps I phrased that first paragraph in an odd way... The idea is that it is illegal to have just ONE parrot all by itself. In Switzerland, according to this person, you HAVE to create a mini flock situation by having at least two parrots of the same species. You can have more than two, but you need at least two minimum .
The reason I bring this question up is because I know many people (in the United States at least) have just one parrot of a particular species.

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
I think it makes sense. Adopting the second conure was the best decision. Do they might bond more to each other than us humans, maybe, but it is so satisfying to see them preen each other and interact. I cannot give that 24/7

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
in Switzerland, it is illegal to keep just one of any social animal species.
Pretty common sense and the right thing to do. Very forward thinking law.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have a baby EB that has been with me for 3 weeks now. He is so reactive to hearing the sounds of other budgies and rather quiet in his cage. I decided to get another one from the same breeder because I believe 100% he will be happier. Budgie #2 is not here yet but it wont be long now.

Cleo&Kiko

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Allisha
Yes, I think it is the key to a parrot's happiness. But I think it truly depends on the individual bird. I've known a lot of people where they adopted one bird, and a while later, introduced a new one from the same species. The previous parrot in the house never liked the new addition. So I think in most cases it is, especially if you decide to adopt them together, or a shorter period apart. But it may not be the key to happiness for an individual bird's.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think in general it might be better to have two of the same species, but it depends on the individual bird. Some birds are so imprinted to humans, that they wouldn't care or wouldn't want another bird around.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't think there is a completely right or wrong answer. Birds are flock animals so I know the thought is that they therefore should be kept in multiples. However, I think you can become your bird's flock, depending on the bird. Our tiel came to live with us when he was 15. He had always lived as an only bird. When we got him, my thought was to add a second bird. But after talking with many people cockatiel owners, the common thought seemed to be that since he had been an only bird for so long there was a strong possibility he would not like a second bird. And added to that he was very, very attached to me. I eventually decided that he would not be happy sharing my attention so we opted not to get a second. Was he a happy bird? Definitely. So, I think a lot depends on the situation and the bird.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have kept birds as singles and as multiples, and even when they aren't the same species, the difference in behavior is crazy awesome. Even when they don't get along they are happier with another bird. The idea that we can provide enough with foods and toys is misguided. If you gave a child all the TV, food, games, etc that they wanted and locked them in a bedroom for their entire life, no interaction with any one their age or species, someone would call that child abuse. After experiencing the difference between a solo bird and a couple of birds, (like I have seen in Jingo and Bobber, each whom have lived here by themselves without the other for a few months at a time, and of course lived together in the same house), I don't know how I could in good conscience keep a bird by itself ever again. It's cruel and ultimately selfish.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Thank you so much for all of these different opinions and perspectives! That's the thing: I have only ever had two cockatiels, so my experience is pretty limited at the moment.

And added to that he was very, very attached to me. I eventually decided that he would not be happy sharing my attention so we opted not to get a second. Was he a happy bird? Definitely. So, I think a lot depends on the situation and the bird.
I think that is a good point. Do you feel that if the human were to be home most of the day (either retired or works from home or something of the like) that would be one of those situations in which having just one bird would be acceptable? Are there other situations that you have in mind? I'm trying to brainstorm. :)

Pretty common sense and the right thing to do. Very forward thinking law.
That's what I thought too! They also mentioned that it is required by law to keep the bird in a space where it can fly (and it is also illegal to clip a birds' wings) - it made me think of your indoor aviary you have posted about! Talk about forward thinking! I think it is so important set the bar high since so many people (whether they realize it or not, unfortunately) end up doing the bare minimum. I feel like if the expectations are set high in the first place, then people can be better prepared to properly care for birds. I guess that is part of the reason I wanted to start this conversation - I really want to imagine "as close to ideal as possible given the constraints of captivity" kinds of situations.

I have kept birds as singles and as multiples, and even when they aren't the same species, the difference in behavior is crazy awesome.
Just out of curiosity, what kind of behavior differences did you notice? And did that behavior differ at all between keeping birds of the same species and keeping multiple birds of different species?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Just out of curiosity, what kind of behavior differences did you notice? And did that behavior differ at all between keeping birds of the same species and keeping multiple birds of different species?

More confident, more active (flying and playing more), more apt to try new things like unfamiliar food, less contact calling.

I have only one true example to compare with, Jingo and Koopa vs Jingo and Bobber, and Koopa and him were better friends so it's harder to determine. I also think if I had a female quaker it would be different. I do think similar size and same continent of origins helps a lot with compatibility. A quaker and conure are more likely to be friendly than a cockatiel and quaker would be, I think.